What's your booking strategy?

The Cruise Critic editors are working on a feature story about booking tips and strategies. Do you have a specific process or strategy for getting the best deal/value on a cruise? We'd love to hear your best advice and incorporate it into our story. Thanks!

Contact my friend Steve here on CC his handle is frito58 ( he used to work for Frito Lay Co ) He has over 10,000 posts on CC and is a wealth of knowledge for booking strategy , pre & post cruise hotel ideas and more.

I myself use both the suggestions you guys give combined with Vacations-to-go and the cruise lines websites for deals. I have found that when not going direct some of the cabins may not show up. I wanted a specific deck and cabin and it was only when I contacted the cruise company did I find out the cabin I really wanted was indeed available and there was no cost to change as I had already received a booking number.

Once I have figured out which Cruise line (As TA cannot be below the advertised price of the cruise line) I get my best deal and then see if the TA has any "extra perks she can throw my way" I've gotten wine, credit on my onboard account and more by using them. It's really about building a relationship with either the TA or your Direct Cruise line Rep.

I'm sure others have great ideas to share.

Ken

I subscribe to cruise line emails, then wait for some kind of deal from the cruise line. When there's a good one, I look through about 5-10 TA websites and compare whatever else they have to offer. Then after checking airfare, dates, and hotels to make sure they're not outrageous, I book.

The Cruise Critic editors are working on a feature story about booking tips and strategies. Do you have a specific process or strategy for getting the best deal/value on a cruise? We'd love to hear your best advice and incorporate it into our story. Thanks!

My strategy is: know your markets, know your ships. I usually watch pricing for cruises that I'm interested in at least a year ahead, then I know when I spot 'the deal'. Knowing the ships you're interested in means you can book quickly with confidence, because you know what you're booking.

First I decide which ship and/or itinerary, and which date I want to go on. I visit the cruise line's web site to choose cabin and determine price, factoring in any savings coupons which are applicable.

Second I visit the large internet cruise agencies to find what perks are available. I look for prepaid gratuities and/or on-board credits and free specialty dining.

Third I call my local travel agent, with whom I've previously booked many cruises, and ask if they can match or sweeten the deal. Often I'll arrange for a cash rebate, instead of on-board credit, so that I can apply other coupons (e.g. shareholder's obc) which could not be combined.

Only under special circumstances (e.g. Early Saver on Carnival) will I book directly with the cruise line, in order to retain full control over making changes to my reservation.

I'm retired so time is not an issue. When I feel the need to cruise, I start the research knowing I want the cruise to start and end in FL. as I don't like the hassles of flying.

As soon as I've determined the cruise I want, I book and get the cabin I want. I'm picky about my cabin placement so I book ASAP and hope prices drop. This has worked for me. I check every few days for price drops and maybe a better cabin opening. I managed to get an AFT balcony with this process.

I like to be in full control of my booking so I don't use a TA, just book straight through the cruise line. I book sometime up to a year before the cruise date.

Don

I do my research by looking at various cruising websites as well as the cruise lines website; read reviews on CC. Then once we have made a decision, we book.

Once we book the cruise, we watch the price to see if it goes down. If it goes down, we have our TA negotiate for some kind of reimbursement, OBC... If it goes up, we are thrilled that we got the lower price when we did!!! :D

Booking strategies vary based upon the type of stateroom being booked, and the intricacies of the cruise line.

A specific suite or cabin (particularly ones where there are just a handful on the ship) needs to be booked far in advance. You don't save money this way on most cruise lines but you do get what you want.

We tend to travel during non-peak season, so we are willing to book close to the departure date to get the best deals if we are not overly particular about the type of cabin we want.

Except, when we are using frequent flyer miles to Europe or Asia, then we book our air 331 days in advance to have the best chance of redeeming our miles and of then place a deposit on the cruise.

Some cruise lines (big ship lines) offer discounted rates close to departure to fill the ship. This strategy will not work with Oceania, as their rates rise closer to departure (smaller ships and strong demand), so your best strategy with this line is to book far in advance (generally).

Peak season vs off season affects what strategy works best. Don't expect to get a last minute deal for spring break or end of year holiday cruises (generally).

We also like to take river cruises. For these, because the demand is so high, your best bet is to book as soon as the itineraries are released if you want a lower priced category or a specific suite. Discounts on river cruise lines are not common, so there is usually no advantage to waiting to book.

You may find this link of interest for river cruises:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-1734542.html

We choose the cruise and itinerary as soon as possible and book at a price we are comfortable with in a cabin class we are also comfortable in using a large warehouse TA that gives decent onboard credit. Then we subscribe to at least 2 price monitoring sites and follow the cruiseline forum as well as join the roll call. If there are perks offered or a price reduction occurs or a better cabin, e.g. suite comes along for not much more money, we call our TA, find it if we're eligible and go for the deal.

When we cruise Europe, we need to plan in advance, especially since we use ff miles to fly from the US. It helps, too, to have a preferred cruiseline so as to get to know pricing patterns and learn the ship layout so as to select a cabin in a good location, e.g. not over the smoking area or under the gym!

My strategy involves reverse auctions. Whenever I try to explain the sites and how they operate my posts get **ed out or pulled. It seems inconsistent to allow discussions by name of Priceline and Hotwire but not of Cruise Compete.

Hmmm!?!? I expected that to get **ed, but it did not when I previewed. Maybe the rules have changed.

I agree with the post above. (Booking early) I pick my cruise, my cabin. I have 3 TA's I have used. Two found on this site. Who ever gives me the best perks gets my booking. I have yet to book directly with the cruise line and have never had an issue. ;)

About one year out I start monitoring a few itineraries which interest us - I also start tracking air fares matching those itineraries. If we are using miles to buy one or both of our air fares, we may book earlier rather than later to be able to use the miles. When the combination of desirable itinerary, available frequent flier flights and/or regular air fares look right, I go ahead and book. Because we often do trans-Atlantic repositionings, I also have to look at bookings for several days in departure city, as well as flight or train home from port of debarkation. It's sort of like three dimension tic tac toe: when you get three lined up, you snag it.

We find the cruise(s) we like and I call our PCC and determine if the cabin number we want is available. If it is and the price is acceptable to us, we book. I couldn't simplify that any more if I wanted to. :D

We find the cruise(s) we like and I call our PCC and determine if the cabin number we want is available. If it is and the price is acceptable to us, we book. I couldn't simplify that any more if I wanted to. :D

We do as well and have for over 26 cruises. We don't sweat the small stuff knowing that our TA will look out for us if there is a significant price drop e.g. More than $10 which I notice a lot of people sweat and obsess over.

We choose the cruise and itinerary as soon as possible and book at a price we are comfortable with in a cabin class we are also comfortable in using a large warehouse TA that gives decent onboard credit. Then we subscribe to at least 2 price monitoring sites and follow the cruiseline forum as well as join the roll call. If there are perks offered or a price reduction occurs or a better cabin, e.g. suite comes along for not much more money, we call our TA, find it if we're eligible and go for the deal.

When we cruise Europe, we need to plan in advance, especially since we use ff miles to fly from the US. It helps, too, to have a preferred cruiseline so as to get to know pricing patterns and learn the ship layout so as to select a cabin in a good location, e.g. not over the smoking area or under the gym!

Didn't know there were sites that monitor prices. Care to share one?

I definitely recommend a TA for extra "bonuses". We were 2 days from sailing on a ship that had a fire and they had to cancel our sailing. Our TA called me at work that morning with 3 choices she had held for us to choose from. I had no clue there was even a fire. We were rebooked on another cruise in no time. We did not lose airfare, prepaid hotel, etc. Two other couples in our group booked direct. By the time they got home from work and heard the news and started calling the cruiseline - after holding for 62 minutes - they were told all the other options were sold out. They proceeded to try every other line - all sold out. They lost quite a bit. That sealed my loyalty to my TA. Sometimes, you don't know you need them until something comes up.

I guess people have opinions why they avoid TA's - to each his own.

Regardless, I always book as far in advance as possible. That allows plenty of time to monitor cruise prices, hotel prices, airfare. This extra time can save hundreds or more. Other than holiday sailings, we've often received credit for price reductions.

Also, I love to book with Southwest when possible. Then, if a great cruise deal comes up and I need to change dates - I can do so with no fees. I hope they never change this policy!

Most importantly, booking far in advance gives you the option to get the exact cabin you'd like. I'd never let anyone choose a cabin for me. We've been on 35+ cruises. Being above a dance club or theater or being below the galley, etc. can make a BIG difference in how much you enjoy the cruise. We really value our sleep. Even something as small as being across from a dishwashing station(several located on each floor) can be horrible. The crew and entertainers seem to make noise 24/7.

Archived