Cruise Critic Community
fsusuper

Any recommended tours in Tahiti?

We are going to Tahiti on Princess. I've read that the ship's tours are expensive and not particularly good. Has anyone had experiences with independent tours there? We will be visiting Papeete, Huahine, Rangiroa, Raiatea, Moorea, and Bora, Bora. Thanks!

FSUSUPER

When are you going?

There are few private tours on the islands and most are very small not the plethora like in the Carribean.

We will be in Papeete this Nov and we rented a car last December it was tough to get anything over the size of a micro car but I eventually got a Peugeot similar to a Honda CRV.

The locals book all the larger vehicles so they can become tour guides when the ship comes into port. Not to mention most of these islands don't have many vehicles for rent as it is.

Check your role call for recommendations but most snorkel tours and such are few on each island and on small craft so limited numbers. You have to move fast.

I used Trip Adviser as a resource for their top 10 list of things to do on each island we are visiting and went from there.

Good luck.

You should go to the "Ports of Call" > "Pacific Islands, All" forum, and also the "Cruise Lines P-Z" > "Paul Gaugin Cruises" forum, and search there for posts about tours on and around the islands you will visit. There are countless posts on those two forums about various private tours. Though you are not booked on the Paul Gaugin, the PG forum has a particular abundance of information about tours around the various islands of French Polynesia. I have not looked at the roll call for your cruise, but that is probably also a good source of information, perhaps with options to join some private tours already being arranged but not yet fully booked.

Also, though many people praise private tours and/or discredit the Princess-sponsored tours, I would not discount the latter too quickly. We were happy with Princess tours on some of the islands you will visit.

Finally, consider the possibility (on some islands, e.g., Moorea) of renting a car for the day and touring on your own. In that case, you would need to "study" the options in advance, plan where you most want to spend the limited time, and bring a guidebook and map.

John

Edited by J-D

I'm also interested in info on these ports. I've been reading the ports of call section, PG boards and TripAdvisor but have struggled to get responses from the tour operators. I have found the options to not be very interesting through Princess. I'm concerned about not having a plan because it seems that the smaller islands don't have much to just walking off the ship.

For further ideas about possible activities on the various island (as well as maps), we found it very useful to examine (well before the trip) some of the standard guidebooks for French Polynesia -- e.g., Lonely Planet; Moon; also R. Kay's Hidden Tahiti. Of the islands listed by the OP, the only one that (in my opinion) has a relatively small number of options is Rangiroa. All the others had far more things of interest to us than one could possibly experience during the one or two days when the ship will be there. (As a partial solution, we spent several additional days on each of Tahiti, Moorea, and Rarotonga pre- and post-cruise. We would have been happy to stay longer on any of those 3 islands or on any of the others on the Princess itinerary.) And of course there is much to be said for leaving some time with nothing specific on the schedule!

John

Edited by J-D

I'm also interested in info on these ports. I've been reading the ports of call section, PG boards and TripAdvisor but have struggled to get responses from the tour operators. I have found the options to not be very interesting through Princess. I'm concerned about not having a plan because it seems that the smaller islands don't have much to just walking off the ship.

You have to be persistent but they do eventually respond, most don't even want a deposit.

We booked Nemo Tours in Papeete just us 2 couples on our excursion confirmation took awhile and language (French) is a barrier as well. .

We just confirmed a tour on Bali but after 3 attempts of paying the deposit on Paypal and finally succeeding they have waved it and are asking how we got our refund from PP as other clients are having the same problem. We think they lost their PP password?

They really run on "island time" out there.

No deposit on rental cars a few have asked for credit card info but very laid back.

Booking tours in Australia, Singapore and Thailand was simple but S. Pacific not so much.

We are going to Tahiti on Princess. I've read that the ship's tours are expensive and not particularly good. Has anyone had experiences with independent tours there? We will be visiting Papeete, Huahine, Rangiroa, Raiatea, Moorea, and Bora, Bora. Thanks!

FSUSUPER

A good place to get accurate info on tours in the South Pacific is tripadvisor.com

I'd skip touring around in the Papeete area as the trip around the island is pretty dull. Instead, concentrate on Moorea with Albert Tours for 4X4 rides around the island and snorkel trips to some of the best sites. In Papeete, the market in the downtown area near the cruise ship berthing area is good and the mobile truck restaurants at the pier in the evenings is a fun way to eat dinner.

In Bora Bora Patrick Taifua is absolutely THE BEST for a day on one of his boats where you will swim with and feed sharks and rays and see magnificent fish. He also provides a lunch on a motu which is owned by his family and it is truly memorable. I believe Patrick also has a 4X4 sightseeing business. You can find Patrick on Facebook but you need to commit to a day with him well in advance because he is in high demand.

If I did that Tahiti trip again I'd skip Papeete entirely and stay at the Hilton on Moorea for a couple of nights pre or post cruise. The overwater bungalows are incredible. Moorea is a short ferry ride away from Papeete and it is not very expensive. Enjoy your cruise!

Check out L' Excursion Bleue Day Tours in Raiatea. The first time we did a 1/2 day tour with Bruno. Went back 2 years later and did his all day tour. Had my family with me this time and they said that this was the highlight of our cruise. Snorkeling, lunch, the lagoonarium, and more , all to make up a perfect day. He has an outrigger canoe and the group was no more than 12. An amazing time.

Did all of these and can recommend them highly.

Marc's(Huahine) -- http://www.huahine-nautique.com/

ATVMoorea(Moorea) -- http://www.atvmooreatours.pf/atvus/index.html

Bruno's(Raiatea) -- http://www.tahaa.net/?p=-1

Jean Pierre's(Rangiroa) -- terevaexcursions@mail.pf

Patrick's(Bora Bora) -- http://www.maohinui.net

Avis Pacificar(Tahiti) -- http://www.avis-tahiti.com/index.php

Edited by Skai

Thanks for all the information! The trip will take place in November.

QUOTE=baldercash;40189960]When are you going?

There are few private tours on the islands and most are very small not the plethora like in the Carribean.

We will be in Papeete this Nov and we rented a car last December it was tough to get anything over the size of a micro car but I eventually got a Peugeot similar to a Honda CRV.

The locals book all the larger vehicles so they can become tour guides when the ship comes into port. Not to mention most of these islands don't have many vehicles for rent as it is.

Check your role call for recommendations but most snorkel tours and such are few on each island and on small craft so limited numbers. You have to move fast.

I used Trip Adviser as a resource for their top 10 list of things to do on each island we are visiting and went from there.

Good luck.

A good place to get accurate info on tours in the South Pacific is tripadvisor.com

I'd skip touring around in the Papeete area as the trip around the island is pretty dull. Instead, concentrate on Moorea with Albert Tours for 4X4 rides around the island and snorkel trips to some of the best sites. In Papeete, the market in the downtown area near the cruise ship berthing area is good and the mobile truck restaurants at the pier in the evenings is a fun way to eat dinner.

In Bora Bora Patrick Taifua is absolutely THE BEST for a day on one of his boats where you will swim with and feed sharks and rays and see magnificent fish. He also provides a lunch on a motu which is owned by his family and it is truly memorable. I believe Patrick also has a 4X4 sightseeing business. You can find Patrick on Facebook but you need to commit to a day with him well in advance because he is in high demand.

If I did that Tahiti trip again I'd skip Papeete entirely and stay at the Hilton on Moorea for a couple of nights pre or post cruise. The overwater bungalows are incredible. Moorea is a short ferry ride away from Papeete and it is not very expensive. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi,

I have to agree about Patricks tour in Bora Bora. I did it earlier this year and it was fantastic. Mind you, you will have to book early as he books out. It was the best tour I have done and the food and swimming was the best.

Chez