Air fares

Putterdude

We have booked a cruise from Papeete to Los Angeles in 2015. Has anyone and the experience of flying from LAX to Papeete and if so what was the fare.

We are working on our flights from LAX to Papeete for a 2014 cruise and have found the fares to be very expensive along with the flight schedules leaving and returning difficult. But the thought of a vacation in Tahiti makes all this worthwhile.:D

We have booked a cruise from Papeete to Los Angeles in 2015. Has anyone and the experience of flying from LAX to Papeete and if so what was the fare.

I believe it's 1 flight a day (at night) from LAX to PPT with 1 flight a day (at night) from PPT to LAX...not much of a choice here.

Check Air France or Air Tahiti Nui for schedules and fares. When we booked Air France was less $$$$ and it allowed us to fly one way during the daytime instead of two red-eye flights. They do not fly every day so planning is important.

We also flew PPT to LAX on the daytime Air France flight. At least for those of us flying in economy class, that is a far better way to go than any overnight flight, in our view.

John

With only two airlines flying the LAX-PPT route, Air Tahiti Nui and Air France, there isn't really any competition. Fortunately, some of the code share prices are a lot less than buying direct from the airline that operates the flights.

In this example, for March 12, 2014, the one-way price on Air Tahiti Nui and Air France is a whopping $1900 . Fortunately, Qantas is selling code share seats on the Air Tahiti Nui flight for just $700. Based on what I've see over the last two years, I don't think you will find anything for significantly less than $700.

i-87SJpbM-M.png

Edited by Mercruiser

Not a departure from LAX, but Hawaiian Airlines flies one-way direct on Saturdays from Honolulu(HNL) to Papeete(PPT) for $565(on select dates).

This may be something to consider for the OP if flying from ones own home airport to PPT via HNL may be more convenient/cost effective than flying via LAX.

For example: Hawaiian airlines has a one-way flight on Saturdays departing from Las Vegas @ 9:00a and arriving PPT @ 9:30p via Honolulu for $830.

Air Canada, Delta, Korean Air, Air New Zealand and WestJet also offer direct one-way flight service to HNL from Vancouver(YVR) starting around $325.

Only 3 airlines flew from LAX to PPT

Air Tahiti Nui

Air France

Hawaiian

All others mentioned are share codes but use one of the 3 I mentioned

I refer the red eye as you wake up in paradise and have the entire day to enjoy. Personally I would fly in a day or 2 early and allow yourself time to acclimate. Here is a good choice if your just wanting clean, A/C and included transfers from the airport to the hotel and then the hotel to the ship.

http://idx-images.cisdata.net/acnt/images/708/AR408708/file_manager/Fare_Suisse.pdf

Edited by Tikiintahiti

I just checked Air France for a RT flight leaving LAX March 12 and returning March 26...........total was $1352 per person. Much cheaper than trying to do one ways which are always more expensive. Not sure when you are going but don't break the flight into one ways......unless you aren't coming back :confused:

I just checked Air France for a RT flight leaving LAX March 12 and returning March 26...........total was $1352 per person. Much cheaper than trying to do one ways which are always more expensive. Not sure when you are going but don't break the flight into one ways......unless you aren't coming back :confused:

Per his OP he is cruising from PPT to LAX..

Thanks for all the ideas.:)

While a Canadian who lives in the Vancouver, BC area we also have a home in AZ where we spend the winter. LAX is about a 4.5 hr drive for us from AZ so it would make the most sense for us. We will be flying only 1 way from LAX to PPT and that will be in January when I would think that fares would be at the highest. That $698 fare of Qantas's is encouraging compared to some I have seen on Kyack.

What I was hoping was that someone might have had some recent experience that they could share with me....maybe thru Princess Air.

What I was hoping was that someone might have had some recent experience that they could share with me....maybe thru Princess Air.

You might try looking or asking on one of the Princess roll calls for a similar cruise in 2014.

You might try looking or asking on one of the Princess roll calls for a similar cruise in 2014.

Excellent idea!!!! By the way I love your avatar and CC handle, the Mercury remains one of our favourites ships. In January we saw the Mien Schiff 1 on Bonaire and I thought for sure it was the Mercury but it turned our to be the Galaxy, as you may know, the Mercury is now the Mien Schiff 2.

While a Canadian who lives in the Vancouver, BC area we also have a home in AZ where we spend the winter. LAX is about a 4.5 hr drive for us from AZ so it would make the most sense for us. We will be flying only 1 way from LAX to PPT and that will be in January when I would think that fares would be at the highest. That $698 fare of Qantas's is encouraging compared to some I have seen on Kyack.

We are flying to Papeete in April 2014 and booked our airfare June 1. We paid $704Cdn for a one-way as we are sailing back to Vancouver. We booked through Qantas since they were the most reasonable and half the price of Air Tahiti Nui even though the flight is operated by ATN. When I looked at Princess Air, it was about the same price as ATN so our best option was to book through Qantas.

Tweedy, thanks for your input...it is most encouraging. I think perhaps in that I am looking into Jan. '15 I am not seeing the kind of fares you enjoyed. Right now I am seeing fares in the region of $1200 and questioning the rationale of paying that kind of a fare to enjoy 3 or 4 days in Tahiti....but I live in hopes.

Looking at January of 2014 (only 3 months from now), there are still 7 days available with $700 airfares. They are all Qantas code shares on ATN metal. I think that is pretty encouraging for Jan 2015. Because we can only book 330 days in advance, your Jan 2015 cruise is too far in the future to get airfare quotes.

January 2014 flights, LAX to PPT, one-way

i-p65KDsx-M.png

Excellent idea!!!! By the way I love your avatar and CC handle, the Mercury remains one of our favourites ships. In January we saw the Mien Schiff 1 on Bonaire and I thought for sure it was the Mercury but it turned our to be the Galaxy, as you may know, the Mercury is now the Mien Schiff 2.

I always wondered why Celebrity kept Century, the oldest of the three sisters. I would have thought they'd keep Mercury since she is the youngest. Maybe they needed the higher "trade-in value" of the newest ships.

Looking at January of 2014 (only 3 months from now), there are still 7 days available with $700 airfares. They are all Qantas code shares on ATN metal. I think that is pretty encouraging for Jan 2015. Because we can only book 330 days in advance, your Jan 2015 cruise is too far in the future to get airfare quotes.

January 2014 flights, LAX to PPT, one-way

Thanks again, we would likely be flying the first week of January when the fares seem to be the highest so we will have to wait and see what transpires, I was just testing the waters to see what others experience had been. We do have a plan B and that would be 21 days in the Caribbean.

Thanks again, we would likely be flying the first week of January when the fares seem to be the highest so we will have to wait and see what transpires, I was just testing the waters to see what others experience had been. We do have a plan B and that would be 21 days in the Caribbean.

I hope it works out. We are leaving for Tahiti, November 8, staying 5-nights in Moorea. We then continue on to Auckland for our Celebrity Solstice cruise. I mention this because it is another affordable way to see Tahiti in the event that Plan A does not work out. Air Tahiti Nui allows free stopovers in Tahiti on LAX to Auckland flights. They have to compete with the normal LAX-AKL fares, which are cheaper than Tahiti fares. So if you ever have a reason to go to Auckland, consider a stopover in Tahiti.

• 1 month later...

I just bought the Qantas code share LAX-PPT one way last night for $760. I called both AA and Qantas to ask why the same plane, same flight, same day was half the price and the only thing both airlines could say was it was a good deal but check your restrictions. We only bought one way since we are flying to Hawaii post cruise and are flying Hawaiian Airlines. HA only flies 1 day a week to Tahiti.

• 2 weeks later...

We needed a one-way flight to PPT to pick up a cruise sailing from PPT to Auckland. We each applied for a BofA Hawaiian airlines credit card and the bonus miles for signing up were enough for one-way award ticket. Luckily, the fact Hawaiian only flies there once a week (Saturday) worked for us as the cruise departs on Monday, giving us a 2-night pre-cruise stay.

We needed a one-way flight to PPT to pick up a cruise sailing from PPT to Auckland. We each applied for a BofA Hawaiian airlines credit card and the bonus miles for signing up were enough for one-way award ticket. Luckily, the fact Hawaiian only flies there once a week (Saturday) worked for us as the cruise departs on Monday, giving us a 2-night pre-cruise stay.

Lucky