Treasures of the Cinque Terre

euro cruiser

Very timely article, particularly as we just booked our stay in the exact hotel the writer stayed in, for our stay there next June, on a land tour of Italy.

Please come back and let us know how it was. Have fun.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Nice article. I could only imagine how her feet and legs felt after doing the goat trail between Monterosso and Vernazza:eek: I would have broken both my ankles!!!

I love the photos attached to the article. The beach area in Monterosso looked fantastic, even better than pre-landslide. The shot of Vernazza from the trail is pretty standard for everyone who hikes the trail between Monterosso and Vernazza. I have my own photo I took from the same spot (I think mine's better ;) ) - I had it made into a 24x30 canvas and it hangs above my sofa.

I so want to go back and spend more time in CT. My 4 days there were not enough!!!!

Do folks take private tours or ship excursions to Cinque Terre? Thoughts? Recommendations?

Here is my review of the tour we took in September. From Livorno, it was about an hour and 15 minute drive to Portovenere. Then you board the ferry and go one way. If your ship were to tender in La Spezia, I think you could DYI, otherwise due to the distance and the fact you you would only want to tour one way, I think the tour is the best option. If you are on a land trip it would be different. Perhaps others can comment on their experience as well. It was a very full day.

We hired a private tour company, Papillion, for a shore excursion from the port of Livorno. We were on a cruise with the NCL Spirit. This tour allowed us to visit both the Cinque Terra and Pisa. Nicolette was our driver. We drove to the Portovenere where we had about 20 minutes to explore the town . Then she gave us the boat schedule for the different towns. We purchased ferry tickets for 16 Euros each. The Ferry was very crowded as there was a cruise ship in La Spezia which is very close to Portovenere . Romaggione, the lovers walk is stilled closed as of September 2013. Be quick to get off the boat as the captain does not linger…We missed the first stop as by the time we walked forward the captain had tossed off to the next town. It all worked well, however ,since we spent more time in Vernazza. We climbed to the top of the Belforte Tower (1,50 Euro admission, worth the price and the climb for the incredible view). Being part time Hawaiian residents, we never leave for a warm inviting coast line without a bathing suit on or in our backpack, so we were prepared to surrender to the clear waters and jump right in.

Next we took the ferry to the last town, Monterosso. More swimming and lunch at Il Casello. What a beautiful setting and amazing view. We then travelled back thought the mountains to Pisa. We visited the square and climbed the tower. Our driver Nicollete brought both couples a package of be noting, a rather fat spaghetti with a hole in it at one end that we had fallen in love with at the previous ports.

This was an absolutely spectacular day. After hearing about our day, many of our fellow cruisers related they wished they had joined our tour instead of the one they took to crowded Florence.

Now we want to go back!

Thank you, Nicollette

I would of taken the ships tour had i not been able to get another couple to join us. That is because of the cost. What ship are you on? I posted the tour on the roll call for our cruise. We took tours in each port. This tour was the most expensive as there were only 4 of us. Some of the others were about 75 euros a piece.

There are ships that use La Spezia instead of Livorno (or will be using next year), Disney, Royal Caribbean, Costa. That will make it extremely easy to DIY to Cinque Terre - a 10 minute or so walk to the train station. Why many spend the extra money to do the tour is because it is a long trek from Livorno to CT. Porting at La Spezia should not require a tour or a guide for CT unless you are uncomfortable on your own or need assistance. On the other hand, more people will have to take the tours to Florence now...

There are ships that use La Spezia instead of Livorno (or will be using next year), Disney, Royal Caribbean, Costa. That will make it extremely easy to DIY to Cinque Terre - a 10 minute or so walk to the train station. Why many spend the extra money to do the tour is because it is a long trek from Livorno to CT. Porting at La Spezia should not require a tour or a guide for CT unless you are uncomfortable on your own or need assistance. On the other hand, more people will have to take the tours to Florence now...

Yes that would be quite easy to DYI. We saw a ship there the day we went. So then the ferry was extremely crowded. Oh well! The towns weren't. Lovely day!

What do you all think of ships tours that go to Cinque Terre?

We just returned from a ships tour (Epic) and although I despise ships tours, it was good and the Cinque Terre fabulous. We had a lovely guide Cinzia (an Italian raised as a child in Australia) who was very informative (she pointed out the Pisa tower on the way) and entertaining throughout the ride by bus to Manarola where we boarded the boat (beautiful ride) to Vernazza, then on to Monterosso where we caught the train back to the bus. Except traveling as a group, we had mostly free time on our own to explore. We had some spectacular views of the Carrara marble mines on the return trip. A really wonderful day and a highlight of the cruise. And compared to ship excursions in Europe, it was very reasonable. Can't wait to return during a land visit.

We just returned from a ships tour (Epic) and although I despise ships tours, it was good and the Cinque Terre fabulous. We had a lovely guide Cinzia (an Italian raised as a child in Australia) who was very informative (she pointed out the Pisa tower on the way) and entertaining throughout the ride by bus to Manarola where we boarded the boat (beautiful ride) to Vernazza, then on to Monterosso where we caught the train back to the bus. Except traveling as a group, we had mostly free time on our own to explore. We had some spectacular views of the Carrara marble mines on the return trip. A really wonderful day and a highlight of the cruise. And compared to ship excursions in Europe, it was very reasonable. Can't wait to return during a land visit.

Did your tour skip Riomaggiore and Corniglia? And, just for curiosity sake, how many people were on your tour?

Did your tour skip Riomaggiore and Corniglia? And, just for curiosity sake, how many people were on your tour?

No, just the three Manarola, Vernazza and Monterosso. But we were given time to explore in all three villages so there was not that "cattle call feeling" except making our way through Manarola to get to the ferry. But it was so beautiful I mostly ignored everyone else, including my family:o For the most part we were left to our own devices. Our bus was full, but we only used it to get to and back from the area - nice to nap on the way back;) Cinzia only woke us to see Carrara - definitely worth the interruption.

ALSO:

We also used the cruiseline excursion bus as "transportation" to get to Avignon and Aix. There we had the choice to follow our guide for a brief tour of each city or to spend the time totally at our on devices. Loving history, I chose to follow the guide and she did a very good job - but our group was small, most chose to wander on their own. We had plenty of time after the tour on our own as well.

Both of these excursions were successful because the guides respected their tour guests wishes. Do your homework, figure out the logistics and costs associated with where you want to go, then decide if the excursion makes sense.

No, just the three Manarola, Vernazza and Monterosso. But we were given time to explore in all three villages so there was not that "cattle call feeling" except making our way through Manarola to get to the ferry. But it was so beautiful I mostly ignored everyone else, including my family:o For the most part we were left to our own devices. Our bus was full, but we only used it to get to and back from the area - nice to nap on the way back;) Cinzia only woke us to see Carrara - definitely worth the interruption.

ALSO:

We also used the cruiseline excursion bus as "transportation" to get to Avignon and Aix. There we had the choice to follow our guide for a brief tour of each city or to spend the time totally at our on devices. Loving history, I chose to follow the guide and she did a very good job - but our group was small, most chose to wander on their own. We had plenty of time after the tour on our own as well.

Both of these excursions were successful because the guides respected their tour guests wishes. Do your homework, figure out the logistics and costs associated with where you want to go, then decide if the excursion makes sense.

Thank you for coming back and answering my questions. Do you think you would have had time to visit the other two villages you missed or would it have felt too rushed to try to do all five villages on the tour?

I've stayed there, so I'd never do a tour. But, with this becoming a new viable option for some cruisers, I'd like to be sure they have good info on the ship-provided option vs DIY or private tour. Thanks again for your input.

Thank you for coming back and answering my questions. Do you think you would have had time to visit the other two villages you missed or would it have felt too rushed to try to do all five villages on the tour?

I've stayed there, so I'd never do a tour. But, with this becoming a new viable option for some cruisers, I'd like to be sure they have good info on the ship-provided option vs DIY or private tour. Thanks again for your input.

The other two villages would be too much. The day is already long (9 hours) without adding more. DIY from Livorno is not a good idea - you would have to rent a car, park and leave it, then come back for it - a waste of time IMO. I looked into a private tour, but there aren't that many. I have used RIL in the past for Florence and Rome. Last year I asked one of their drivers why RIL stopped taking tours to the Cinque Terre - he said because of the logistics - a lot of money for a drop off. I think the cruiseline tour in this instance is a very good option.

The other two villages would be too much. The day is already long (9 hours) without adding more. DIY from Livorno is not a good idea - you would have to rent a car, park and leave it, then come back for it - a waste of time IMO. I looked into a private tour, but there aren't that many. I have used RIL in the past for Florence and Rome. Last year I asked one of their drivers why RIL stopped taking tours to the Cinque Terre - he said because of the logistics - a lot of money for a drop off. I think the cruiseline tour in this instance is a very good option.

Again, thanks for the reply!!! My stay in Vernazza was actually done DIY from Pisa via train. It was easy for me. But, I didn't have the restriction of a day in port and having to start from Livorno. It's doable, but definitely not for the masses to go it alone for that particular trip. But for those now porting in La Spezia, DIY is absolutely easy and doable.

I'm happy you enjoyed your day in CT - it truly is a wonderful spot! It remains one of my all time favorite trips of anywhere I've been in the world.

Again, thanks for the reply!!! My stay in Vernazza was actually done DIY from Pisa via train. It was easy for me. But, I didn't have the restriction of a day in port and having to start from Livorno. It's doable, but definitely not for the masses to go it alone for that particular trip. But for those now porting in La Spezia, DIY is absolutely easy and doable.

I'm happy you enjoyed your day in CT - it truly is a wonderful spot! It remains one of my all time favorite trips of anywhere I've been in the world.

I agree, it was a magical day. I hope to one day return and spend more time in all the lovely villages.

Archived