Cruise Critic Community
goldgirl2

What side of the ship do you prefer?

We tend to book on the Port side, not for any special reason, the ocean is the same on both sides. We did book our first cruise on the Starboard side then switched and it feels more comfortable. As far as seeing something on one side or the other, I merely go on deck and look.

Neither, we are members of the Aft Snob Society:eek: A.S.S. for short:D

Ok, when not there we will book either side, but do try to stay on the hump:rolleyes:

Port side. I have no particular reason other than it was what we happened to book on our first cruise and I have been booking the same side ever since.

When I booked our cruise there was only a couple of port side rooms available and there were lots and lots on the star board side. That is why I picked port side. I just figured everyone else did it for a reason.

I'll be different. I prefer the Starboard side. Sailing past the restaurants leaving Port Canaveral while the Captain lays on the horn. :D

I like the port side, but, realized a few years ago on a transatlantic that it makes little difference what side your cabin is on. Sometimes the ships swivels around and the starboard side gets the view.

I'm not so choosy now, wherever the best room is, is the side of the ship we'll be.

Jonathan

Port side. I have no particular reason other than it was what we happened to book on our first cruise and I have been booking the same side ever since.

That's funny because I do the very same thing if I don't know in advance which side sees the ports. I always choose the port side because that's the side we were assigned on our very first cruise.

However, on the western Caribbean itinerary I chose the starboard side because everyone said that's the side which will see all of the ports. But that also means if we stay on our balcony during sailaway, we won't be on the webcam when we leave FLL. :(

I choose based on the itinerary. We enjoy watching the land slide by as we leave port.

We prefer anywhere Top Side... keelhauling... just isn't fun... :D

Edited by LindaO

Starboard side. My experience is that RCCL tends to dock starboard side to the pier. I like sitting on the balcony watching the activity in port. Having said that, last year we were on the port side and we docked port side to the pier every stop. It's also port dependent. For example St Thomas the non-pier side looks out at the island and city.

But cabin location is always number one consideration. Side of the ship is secondary.

It just always seems to work out port side. I did starboard side once ... I spent the whole cruise confused about which way to turn coming off the elevator bank.

We don't care about the side of the ship....the location of the cabin is what I look for...I want to be as midship as possible! I like being near the stairs and elevators!

Ladysilver, I should book ourselves Starboard then cuz I am right handed.:) coming in off our Coastal into San Pedro last Sunday, we docked on the Port side so that was fun to watch. Entered the harbor around 6 AM.

I can't be in the sun, so on a TA I have to be on the shady side.

Port side for Eastbound, Starboard for Westbound. But, that is only is I can't get my favorite, an AFT!

Just curious which side of the ship you prefer and why. We are on the port side for our next cruise.

if, we're on a transatlantic, we book port side if we're going west and starboard if we're going east. We usually get more sun that way, on our balcony. :)

Edited by Little Buddy's Mom

Started out sailing port side every time until we figured out that preplanning the side to which the views would be on was like playing roulette. Now location and price is all I care about. Doesn't matter which side.

I can't be in the sun, so on a TA I have to be on the shady side.

Port side for Eastbound, Starboard for Westbound. But, that is only is I can't get my favorite, an AFT!

Sounds like where the term POSH came from. Port Outbound, Starboard Home.

But in my case, I just want to be on the ship. Which side really makes little difference.

Edited by reedl

We always book balconies on whichever side gets the most sun during the first half of the voyage...unless we can get an aft cabin.