6 year old boy drowns on Carnival ship.,

Velvet Teddy Bear

The one thing I have not read on this thread is the importance of life jackets. These are a tremendous source of water safety.

I live on a lake and our boat dock is in 17 foot waters. No one is allowed off my dock without a life jacket. Even my 15 year old grand daughter knows the rule and after a few conversations knows I will not allow her in the water without one. Then fatigue is not a factor.

Every beach we go to you will find almost all young children wearing life jackets. Maybe cruise lines could furnish these like they do beach towels. Then the parents would not have to worry about suit case room!

I think swimming is a beach or lake is very different than a pool. Should life jacket be available? That might be a really good idea, should they be mandatory? No. I do think, unless a person is a very good swimmer, especially in crowded situations and children, parents should insist the young kids wear water wings.

I think the reason people keep blaming the parents is because we go on cruises and see so many unsupervised kids. .

I agree.

Although a knee jerk reaction to blame the parents would be warranted because of the reason you stated, the problem (at least on the CC boards on the thread that was pulled by the moderators) is that even after postings from witnesses that stated the father was in the pool with the child, intead of backing down on blaming the parents, the posters who were doing this dug their heels in even more. Some people would rather be 'right' even if it meant calling what may be very responsible parents, negligent.

The bottom line is we don't know real facts, none of us were there and the real story/facts may never be known to us. It was stated that the child may have experienced a seizure or even banged is head. Only if they release autopsy reports will we know if any of that is true.

All I know for sure because I am a Mom, is at least half the time my kids got hurt I was right there when it happened. I would like to assume (before I have been told inconclusively different) that this was not a case of negligence, until we know for sure...IF we ever know for sure. I can't see what good it does to trash these folks that have just experienced the worst thing any human can possibly experience until there are facts to support that accusation.

Maybe where I live it is a little different. Having also lived in an apartment with a nice pool you would find very few kids in the pool without life jackets. I just think if parents had this option it might help with safety. I live with the chance of someone drowning at my property everyday and I just have my own rules that must be followed.

Much more important than life jackets - all kids should learn how to swim as early as they can.

They don't need to be Olympic class swimmers but at least able to swim and tread water.

I know of at least 2 kids who would have survived a fall into water had they been able to swim even a few feet. In one case a non-swimmer GM had to watch and scream while a 9 year old (who could not even tread water) drowned in a fall from a dock). He was literally feet from the dock (which he could have held onto until help arrived - which it did within 5 minutes).

It goes without saying that anyone in a boat should be wearing a life jacket - but even then swimming skills are critical

now you can flame me.....I really don't care.....this is how I feel....

jus' me....jim.....

I am not going to even read the rest of this thread. I am just pleased that the first few I read really reamed you good! I once brought a child back from the dead by CPR, a beautiful little girl, she just happened to get away for a minute into the next door Jacuzzi tub. She is alive and well but we are all not so fortunate. I am really sad I share this earth with someone as stupid and judgmental as yourself, and I sure hope like hell the folks never encounter your crude remarks nor anyone of your hateful nature. You knew in advance this would bring on criticism, so perhaps you thrive on it? Your one sick puppy! don't bother with a hateful reply as I will not check this posting again. Just too too sad.

I think swimming is a beach or lake is very different than a pool. Should life jacket be available? That might be a really good idea, should they be mandatory? No. I do think, unless a person is a very good swimmer, especially in crowded situations and children, parents should insist the young kids wear water wings.

Water wings on kids arm are very bad really. They can lift the arms and sink the body which can make it even more likely to drown.

The one thing I have not read on this thread is the importance of life jackets. These are a tremendous source of water safety.

I live on a lake and our boat dock is in 17 foot waters. No one is allowed off my dock without a life jacket. Even my 15 year old grand daughter knows the rule and after a few conversations knows I will not allow her in the water without one. Then fatigue is not a factor.

Every beach we go to you will find almost all young children wearing life jackets. Maybe cruise lines could furnish these like they do beach towels. Then the parents would not have to worry about suit case room!

I bring life jackets on board for my 6 and nine year old and one of us is in the water with them while it is no guarantee it leaves less of a chance (watching a child means just that watch them no sunbathing socializing reading texting it means watching )

I'm sure that CCL could put a life guard at the pool but hey, that would mean one less person to constantly ask if you want to buy a drink.

This isn't carnival's fault. NO cruise ship has life guards, so the comments are truly just bashing for no reason.

Given the topic and how horrible this situation is...and in thinking about the family, it seems this is not the time or thread to be posting these kinds of comments.

(rememebr, I dislike that line almost as much as you do...but this is not their fault)

You have to have a fence with a locked gate around a pool in your backyard where i live and I have always wondered why cruiseships don't have to have them. During the hours when the pool is open I would like to see a lifeguard on duty and when the pool is closed and if there is not a net covering it I would like to see it gated and locked. My babies are almost 18 so it wouldn't be for me, it would be so we dont read anymore heartbreaking stories such as this one.

My thoughts and prayers to this family. How terribly sad.

I've never seen a life guard at any hotel I've been to.

I've never seen a life guard on a cruise ship.

I'm not going to say anything neg. about the parents because I could not imagine the heartbreak they are going through. This was a tragic accident. This is a good reminder to parents to keep a good eye on your children in pools whether or not there is a lifeguard on duty.

I'm sure that CCL could put a life guard at the pool but hey, that would mean one less person to constantly ask if you want to buy a drink.

With posts like this and most of us having already sent our deepest sympathy to the family and friends, perhaps it's time to ask that this thread be locked before there are more posts, more disrespectful.

Please, only offer your condolences, there's no need for recriminations or finger pointing here, it's too sad.

With posts like this and most of us having already sent our deepest sympathy to the family and friends, perhaps it's time to ask that this thread be locked before there are more posts, more disrespectful.

Please, only offer your condolences, there's no need for recriminations or finger pointing here, it's too sad.

Offering your "condolences" in an internet post is meaningless. Does it make you feel better? Does it make the parents feel better? I'm sure they are going to go to this sit, print them up and post on the fridge.

Hotels don't have lifeguards because very often, the pool areas are empty.

Cruise lines have very busy, very crowded pools and should take a hint from water parks that all employ lifeguards.

Come to think of it, doesn't CCL claim to have water parks on board?

Offering your "condolences" in an internet post is meaningless. Does it make you feel better? Does it make the parents feel better? I'm sure they are going to go to this sit, print them up and post on the fridge.

Cruise lines have very busy, very crowded pools and should take a hint from water parks that all employ lifeguards.

Well, offering condolences makes me a compassionate person in the face of a tragedy, whether they read it or not. You on the other hand,criticizing those who have compassion and are sending condolences and prayers just makes YOU feel better I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

you are letting your ignorance show. shhhhhhhhhhh and step away from the keyboard:rolleyes:

And your posts made no one feel better and helped no one in regard to cruising...so the point of your posts is what and who did your post help? :confused:

This has been very uncharacteristically snarky of you. :confused:

Seriously...did someone take over your cc account????

I can certainly imagine how easy it is for a child to drown in a cruise ship pool. Last year I was in a hotel pool with my daughter who was six at the time. She was holding on the the side and her hand slipped. She went under within seconds and luckily I was right there (in the pool beside her) to pull her up. This was in the shallow end, but she could barely stand. Even though she could swim a little, she was shocked that her hand slipped and she wasn't doing anything to help herself. It can happen so quickly!

And your posts made no one feel better and helped no one in regard to cruising...so the point of your posts is what and who did your post help? :confused:

This has been very uncharacteristically snarky of you. :confused:

Seriously...did someone take over your cc account????

Really....It didn't seem any less snarky to me but in this case it was also incredibly insensitive. And yes DClark, praying for peace for this family and giving them my condolences, even though they may not see them, does make me feel better...because it is the only constructive thing I can do for that poor family. I believe in prayer for healing of the heart and soul. Posts like cruisecritiquer's helps with awareness of a silent killer. Blaming the parents or Carnival for this terrible accident helps no one.

Such a sad situation, many prayers to all involved.

Based on this job posting for shipboard lifeguards, it seems that Disney Cruise Line will be adding them to their sailings in the future:

http://careers.disneyparks.jobs/shipboard/shipboard/disney-cruise-line/jobid4048610-lifeguard-jobs

A great idea and a long time coming. I hope the other cruise lines follow suit and also hire lifeguards. My DD was a lifeguard and she stopped a young teenager who was set to dive from the bench into the pool.

A great idea and a long time coming. I hope the other cruise lines follow suit and also hire lifeguards. My DD was a lifeguard and she stopped a young teenager who was set to dive from the bench into the pool.

A neighbor of mine brokers insurance for large companies, like Disney. I don't even know if I used the correct wordage just now for what he does, but long story short, he once told me the presence of lifeguards on cruise ships and/or at hotels greatly increases their liability. A simple Swim At Your Own Risk sign, opposed to a lifeguard almost completely clears them of liability. I say almost because there could obviously be countless other factors. But regardless, that is the reason there are no lifeguards.

I do not want to see life guards at cruise ship pools...one or two life guards should not have the responsibility of a whole pool full of people...mainly kids....parents need to be in the pool with their children...parents will see life guards as a false sense of security and become even less vigilant.....and why would the cruise ship industry want to take on that liability?

Archived