Crystal Announces a Change to Specialty Restaurants

LAFFNVEGAS

Is that a serious suggestion? - now that really would annoy me as I want to dine more than once in them, and it would leave the speciality restaurants under utilised on occasions

After everyone's had their one entitlement in each restaurant why not let guests take up the spare capacity - and introduce a fee to make sure people don't hog all that capacity.

So we should leave the restaurants underutilized and then Crystal would get the message.

So we should leave the restaurants underutilized and then Crystal would get the message.

No - as others have already pointed out that would be cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Think about it - what percentage of Crystal guests are Cruise Critic members? - not many!

Therefore I suspect life will continue on and specialty restaurants will be well patronised - so your protest will go unnoticed - unless you start standing outside with protest signs - is that your next move???

is that a serious suggestion? - now that really would annoy me as i want to dine more than once in them, and it would leave the speciality restaurants under utilised on occasions

after everyone's had their one entitlement in each restaurant why not let guests take up the spare capacity - and introduce a fee to make sure people don't hog all that capacity.

I have to smile when i see crystal describe it as a "nominal" charge - maybe they should all take a "nominal" pay cut of $30 a week and see how they like that :d

How does that post suggest, in anyway, that we should boycott the specialty restaurants? I've stated several times now in this thread that I want to go more than once and that I'm prepared to pay...

Edited by Bodogbodog

Its not about being cheap. Goodness, Crystal guests can not be called cheap for what they spend on a cruise for sure.

I think the point is the limited dining venues. If you are spending

$25,000 plus on a cruise then you ought not be charged $60 to eat dinner at one of the two only dining alternatives besides the main dining room.(I know the first time is free... whoopee)

The overcrowding is a management problem that can be solved without having to penalize the guests. The MDR is a wonderful and grand setting but not all that intimate like Prego or Silk Road. So we will pay but under vigorous protest.

Keep protesting. Never give in!!

and the vast majority of members who have voted in the poll on this topic agree with you

The vast majority can agree all they want. The beauty of this situation is that it will only take 10 to 20% of us to stop booking with Crystal to get them to give up this ridiculous surcharge. So for those of you who find surcharging distasteful, stand up for what you believe in by boycotting Crystal.

Now, why would I boycott Crystal because of one policy change. I've only been on one Crystal cruise, but I wll be on my second in December.

I think they could have come up with a better solution. I really don't like the extra charrge.

I think they could have addressed the issue by allowing just one reservation for each stateroom, meaning just two people. It seems like the problem is with people reserving larger tables.

Reservations should be open after several days as eveyone has had a chance to reserve.

Is that a serious suggestion? - now that really would annoy me as I want to dine more than once in them, and it would leave the speciality restaurants under utilised on occasions

After everyone's had their one entitlement in each restaurant why not let guests take up the spare capacity - and introduce a fee to make sure people don't hog all that capacity.

I have to smile when I see Crystal describe it as a "nominal" charge - maybe they should all take a "nominal" pay cut of $30 a week and see how they like that :D

Do I understand this right? You suggest giving everyone one entitlement and then letting guests take up the spare capacity for a fee -- isn't that exactly the policy that Crystal has just implemented?

So is your only objection that $30 is too much? Sorry -- based on the capacity calculations that were posted the other day, and the observations of passengers who make Silk Road or Prego their main dining room, $30 is definitely not too much. After the concession to World Cruisers and 50+ cruisers, it may even turn out to be too little.

Do I understand this right? You suggest giving everyone one entitlement and then letting guests take up the spare capacity for a fee -- isn't that exactly the policy that Crystal has just implemented?

Yes - I support the policy as introduced as opposed to boycotting the restaurants or heaven forbid Crystal cruise altogether as suggested by others in this thread

The vast majority can agree all they want. The beauty of this situation is that it will only take 10 to 20% of us to stop booking with Crystal to get them to give up this ridiculous surcharge. So for those of you who find surcharging distasteful, stand up for what you believe in by boycotting Crystal.

So you'll take your business away from Crystal and sail on Sea Dream. Oh wait! You're boycotting them because of the children. ["I simply don't want to share a small luxury vessel with children and I am prepared to spend my travel budget somewhere else to have an enjoyable vacation."] Well, Silversea then unless -- isn't there something wrong with Silversea?

Sorry if this is over the top, but I really don't want to find my Crystal cruise to be a hotbed of community organizing and protests. If you don't like the 2014 Crystal product, take your money and move on. But Let It Go...

The overcrowding is a management problem that can be solved without having to penalize the guests. The MDR is a wonderful and grand setting but not all that intimate like Prego or Silk Road. So we will pay but under vigorous protest.

I think my objection to this whole thread, as an operations person, is that we as a group keep throwing around phrases like "this could be easily solved without a fee," and "it's not my job to come up with better ideas and do Crystal's job for them." Yet somehow, in hundreds of messages, we have yet to come up with one viable suggestion to address the DEMAND side of the equation. Sure, we can just tell everyone no, but that's not the issue here and that's NOT what Crystal's passengers want (as we've seen from everyone's reaction to that idea). The trick here is creating a policy that curbs demand while still allowing those passengers who wish to pay some kind of premium to have that experience if they choose. Even if you just implemented the "just say no" policy -- then what? What do you do with the remaining inventory? You still have the problem of all the remaining inventory left after everyone got their first pick, and the flood of requests if you opened up that remaining inventory to everyone aboard ship (and how to prioritize those requests).

No, it's not our job to come up with a policy, but it's a darn good exercise in understanding how a policy like this comes about when you try to put yourselves in their shoes -- you start to understand the logic behind how these get created.

I obviously have no way to predict the future, but judging from the messages here I would judge the number of people who are going to book away as statically immeasurable. As emotional as this topic is, we are still talking about a $30 fee that applies to something few people have actually ever done before (most people eat 0-1 time in each restaurant on cruises under 14 days.)

Historically, most people who say they are going to boycott something either never had any intention to buy the product in the first place, or in cases of mild/reasonable policy change, return to the product after some time to digest and adjust to the new policies. If Crystal were introducing a flat $30 fee to dine in the restaurants, I think you would see a deeper and more lasting backlash, but I think it's a lot harder for people book away from a fee that most pax will likely only need to pay once, if ever.

I think the value of this thread is not in showing how many bookings Crystal will lose (because I doubt they'll lose enough to measure on reports), but to see how much it's upset their loyal passenger base. This is where we get to communicate feelings that are probably not showing on sales reports.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

I think my objection to this whole thread, as an operations person, is that we as a group keep throwing around phrases like "this could be easily solved without a fee," and "it's not my job to come up with better ideas and do Crystal's job for them." Yet somehow, in hundreds of messages, we have yet to come up with one viable suggestion to address the DEMAND side of the equation.

I have suggested on this thread that Crystal limit the pre reservations at Silk Road and Prego to 1 for each 5 days on board until the second day when the venues will be opened for additional reservations on a space available basis.

Others have suggested after the 2 pre reservations seats be made available for additional reservations one at a time. In either case names and stateroom numbers are required for the reservation.

Walk ups (evening of) if space is available should not be assessed a charge. Officers and entertainers should not be using the venues as an officers mess.

I'm sure there have been other suggestions that I don't remember but please STOP saying no one has suggested anything. We have.

I have not been on Crystal since October 2012 but on that rather full cruise we ate in SR 3 times and Prego twice by the simple expedient of walking by on the way to the dining room and asking if there were any available reservations for that evening. Did it 4 times, 3 we were seated. Where is the problem?

What really hasn't been demonstrated is anyone saying I was on cruise xxxx and 6 months before sailing I could not reserve a seat in Silk Road or Prego. I have not even heard anyone saying I had my once each and asked for a second reservation at xxxxx and was told there were none available on day 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 of a 10 day cruise. I think this was largely a non problem trumped up by Crystal to cover up revenue enhancement or so they didn't have to say no to the elite.

I have suggested on this thread that Crystal limit the pre reservations at Silk Road and Prego to 1 for each 5 days on board until the second day when the venues will be opened for additional reservations on a space available basis.

Others have suggested after the 2 pre reservations seats be made available for additional reservations one at a time. In either case names and stateroom numbers are required for the reservation.

Walk ups (evening of) if space is available should not be assessed a charge. Officers and entertainers should not be using the venues as an officers mess.

I'm sure there have been other suggestions that I don't remember but please STOP saying no one has suggested anything. We have.

I have not been on Crystal since October 2012 but on that rather full cruise we ate in SR 3 times and Prego twice by the simple expedient of walking by on the way to the dining room and asking if there were any available reservations for that evening. Did it 4 times, 3 we were seated. Where is the problem?

What really hasn't been demonstrated is anyone saying I was on cruise xxxx and 6 months before sailing I could not reserve a seat in Silk Road or Prego. I have not even heard anyone saying I had my once each and asked for a second reservation at xxxxx and was told there were none available on day 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 of a 10 day cruise. I think this was largely a non problem trumped up by Crystal to cover up revenue enhancement or so they didn't have to say no to the elite.

You're not reading what I'm saying -- those are all things that address policing on the front end, and not curbing the demand. I know people have addressed ways to police the initial reservations, and that's great, but all of those suggestions just kick the can 2 more feet down the road, and still land in the same predicament.

Now that you have fairly doled out the first 1,800 reservations, now what do you do with the remaining 500 onboard requests? If you only have 200 tables, you're right back where you started from telling people NO, and those people are going to be just as angry as the people being told NO now, just with (potentially) a couple less people being told no than before.

Credit where credit is due, Crystal's proposal is the only one on the table that curbs DEMAND and therefore puts the power of choice in the passenger's hands. If the responses in this thread are indicative, then few people are willing to pay $30 to dine there again, and everyone who wishes to will be able to get their wish. If tables go empty, then Crystal will likely lower the price point until a balance is met.

Do you understand where that is different from policing on the front end (which Crystal is also doing with the PCPC changes), and why I said that no one is addressing a way to curb demand?

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

Vince

Crystal itself has already changed the reservation system that I think will be effective in curbing "demand." They are now requiring the booking numbers of those who are requesting a dining reservation. In the past one could make a reservation for a table for four, and friends could do the same. Now that is not possible, and I think that will cut upfront "demand" in that more tables will be available to others. I understand you think the $30 fee will be a disincentive, but I am not sure that will be the case. People have onboard credit, World cruisers and 50 plusers will not be charged, but we will see how it all works out.

Vince

Crystal itself has already changed the reservation system that I think will be effective in curbing "demand." They are now requiring the booking numbers of those who are requesting a dining reservation. In the past one could make a reservation for a table for four, and friends could do the same. Now that is not possible, and I think that will cut upfront "demand" in that more tables will be available to others. I understand you think the $30 fee will be a disincentive, but I am not sure that will be the case. People have onboard credit, World cruisers and 50 plusers will not be charged, but we will see how it all works out.

Agreed... I size up the situation a little differently, but that's fair. :)

I do agree that the change in the PCPC is a fairer way to manage the pre-bookings... But no doubt everyone here could afford the $30 fee if we wanted to, but just measuring the initial surge (before the shorter sailings factor) when it went from $7 to $0 I'm banking that $30 would be a turn off to many. But you're definitely right that it's an assumption I'm making and not I could very well be dead wrong.

I just don't see any other proposals that deter people enough to bring the onboard requests down to capacity. Everyone is so focused on managing the reservations, they're missing a key piece of Crystal's plan.

Vince

It's not the $30 fee that is bothersome, it's the fact that Crystal has chosen to treat passengers differently by making exceptions to the policy.

There will be no way of knowing when preferential treatment has been given to anyone, based on how often someone is dining. Other passengers will have no idea if and when extra reservations have been made.

It will truly be at the discretion of the Maitre'd.

Crystal has instituted their own class system. This alone is very discouraging.

This post is the true definition of "cutting off your nose to spite your face." If enough people boycott Crystal, it will cease to exist. Then we won't have to worry about the $30 surcharge, but we also won't have a great luxury cruise line.

:confused: Regent-Seabourn-SilverSeas ????....These lines are not Swiss Cheese. Why do you think Crystal decided to go "All inclusive" in the first place?....:confused:

It's not the $30 fee that is bothersome, it's the fact that Crystal has chosen to treat passengers differently by making exceptions to the policy.

There will be no way of knowing when preferential treatment has been given to anyone, based on how often someone is dining. Other passengers will have no idea if and when extra reservations have been made.

True, but wasn't it always that way as to who got extra reservations? After passengers booked once in each restaurant on PCPC wasn't it up to the maitre d' to decide whether or not a passenger who made a request could dine there again?

Vince

Not to belabor the point (though I am), I think Crystal could have implemented changes to the reservation system gradually, and then guaged how far to go. The imposition of a fee grates on many people, because it is a retreat from AI and a continuing slide down the slippery slope. I do not believe they would have seen such a furor if they had implemented the booking number requirement, and a better method of capacity control initially, and if these steps did not work (and I'm not sure anything will on cruises of 7 days and fewer because of the limited seating capaacity of the specialty restaurants), then I think people would be less disgruntled.

Vince

Not to belabor the point (though I am), I think Crystal could have implemented changes to the reservation system gradually, and then guaged how far to go. The imposition of a fee grates on many people, because it is a retreat from AI and a continuing slide down the slippery slope. I do not believe they would have seen such a furor if they had implemented the booking number requirement, and a better method of capacity control initially, and if these steps did not work (and I'm not sure anything will on cruises of 7 days and fewer because of the limited seating capaacity of the specialty restaurants), then I think people would be less disgruntled.

I agree completely, and I usually manage in steps forward. But the devil's advocate on my shoulder likes to point out that you get less resistance and overall come off looking more competent if you overreach slightly and have to give back a little, than if you undershoot and have to make two successive cuts. You can usually survive one cut, but after the second cut addressing the same issue, people get even more mad -- just ask labor negotiators.

Isn't that how it worked before? I think the new system is more transparent in that regard. The published benefit for more senior CS members is a nice reward for loyalty, and everyone will have a more equal shot at more availability for ONBOARD reservations (IF the plan works out as Crystal predicts, which remains to be seen.)

Vince