First Time in Bermuda

zellam77

1. Horseshoe Bay beach - take the number 7 bus from the dockyard.

2. St. George - the best and fastest way to get there is to take the ferry from the dockyard.

3. Visit Hamilton. Again, the best way to get there is to take the ferry.

We like to take the early ferry to St. George and spend the morning there. Then, we get the number 11 from St. George to Hamilton and spend the afternoon there. There are some great views on this bus ride. We then return to the ship on the ferry.

There are a number of in between places too. There is lots of information on the Bermuda board.

Great question, I was there in August.

1. Horseshoe bay- unbelievable

2. Crystal caves- very cool to see

3. Hamilton is nice to see

4. St George's is not as nice as 20yrs ago, ferry ride is nice.

Advice: do not take the cruise bus transport to horseshoe bay. Get a ferry/bus pass which is sold right outside the docks. Adult is $25 for 2 days and totally worth it. Horseshoe bay is a 25 minute ride, route 7 I believe.

Have fun

Here a blog of my time in Bermuda last September 2012. I just returned from Bermuda again this September. I've been there 3 times. It's one of my favorite islands and I still haven't done everything I want to do like visit the Crystal and Fantasy Caves or even really explore much of the Royal Naval Dockyard.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714937&page=4#72

Things to do

...Buy a three day bus ferry pass ($35) and pick up a free island map in the tourist information center as you disembark the ship or at the kiosks further down the wharf and in the dockyard. Bermuda has a great public transit system that can take you to many of their attractions.

...Ferry to St. Georges, go early, ask about the free walking tour, the ducking of the wench, take the free bus up to Fort St. Catherine ($7/pp admission), walk back to town, passing by Tobacco Bay, Unfinished Church, St. Peter's church, stop by the market and have lunch in Somers Garden and its Moon Gate or lunch and shopping in town.

...Bus from the dockyard to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Ask at the tourist information kiosk where to catch the #7 because the pickup point changes!

...Have a Fish Chowder and Dark & Stormy (Ginger Beer with Goslings Rum) for lunch. Fantastic!

...Ferry to St. Hamilton - Better known for its shopping. I can't remember there being much more there. :rolleyes:

...Island tour with Affordable Ride Mini Bus (Sept 2013) http://affordableride.yolasite.com/ - His mini-van isn't the newest but the guy is lot's of fun, informative, tailors the experience to you. We had a fantastic time and WAAAY better than the ship's island tour bar none which I did years ago.

I've only started blogging about the Sept 2013 trip and doing a few different things like and island tour, Swizzle Inn, and Tom Moore's Jungle (very off the beaten path). https://www.facebook.com/ben.bendyman

Edited by kylenyc

Here a blog of my time in Bermuda last September 2012. I just returned from Bermuda again this September. I've been there 3 times. It's one of my favorite islands and I still haven't done everything I want to do like visit the Crystal and Fantasy Caves or even really explore much of the Royal Naval Dockyard.

Things to do

...Buy a three day bus ferry pass ($35) and pick up a free island map in the tourist information center as you disembark the ship or at the kiosks further down the wharf and in the dockyard. Bermuda has a great public transit system that can take you to many of their attractions.

...Ferry to St. Georges, go early, ask about the free walking tour, the ducking of the wench, take the free bus up to Fort St. Catherine ($7/pp admission), walk back to town, passing by Tobacco Bay, Unfinished Church, St. Peter's church, stop by the market and have lunch in Somers Garden and its Moon Gate or lunch and shopping in town.

...Bus from the dockyard to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Ask at the tourist information kiosk where to catch the #7 because the pickup point changes!

...Have a Fish Chowder and Dark & Stormy (Ginger Beer with Goslings Rum) for lunch. Fantastic!

...Ferry to St. Hamilton - Better known for its shopping. I can't remember there being much more there. :rolleyes:

...Island tour with Affordable Ride Mini Bus (Sept 2013) http://affordableride.yolasite.com/ - His mini-van isn't the newest but the guy is lot's of fun, informative, tailors the experience to you. We had a fantastic time and WAAAY better than the ship's island tour bar none which I did years ago.

I've only started blogging about the Sept 2013 trip and doing a few different things like and island tour, Swizzle Inn, and Tom Moore's Jungle (very off the beaten path). https://www.facebook.com/ben.bendyman

The public transportation on the island is very good and from what I've heard very reliable. That being said, you should know that the walk down to Horseshoe Bay beach from the bus stop is long and on a hill, and it's all uphill at the end of your day on the beach. The ship provided private bus is more expensive, but it takes you right down to the beach and eliminates the walking, in case you find that important. Once on the beach you can rent an umbrella and chairs. Make sure to bring your own towel from the ship. There is a refreshment stand there too and everyone on Bermuda takes US dollars so you just need to bring some cash with you.

I'm sure the private tour spoken of above is very good, but I did take the bus tour excursion from NCL and I thought it was excellent as well. A great place to go in the dockyard for lunch is the Frog and Onion Pub, which is just walking distance from the ship. They have great fish and chips and serve beer that was brewed on the premises as it is a brew pub. Excellent porter style beer by the way! I would recommend you save exploring the dockyard for your last day on the island as everything is so close to the ship and you sail in the afternoon. Less stress that way. :)

NCL has a nice Rum Swizzle excursion that is offered. It is a cruise around the harbor on a catamaran that goes out at sunset and provides unlimited Rum Swizzles, the "other" national drink in Bermuda. :) It's a lot of fun and the guide gives a wonderful talk about the island as you sail around.

The folks in Bermuda are very friendly and the island is really beautiful. Have a great time! :D

<snip>...That being said, you should know that the walk down to Horseshoe Bay beach from the bus stop is long and on a hill, and it's all uphill at the end of your day on the beach. The ship provided private bus is more expensive, but it takes you right down to the beach and eliminates the walking, in case you find that important...

There's a minibus offering $1/pp rides from the bus stop down the hill to the beach and $2/pp rides back up LOL.

P.S. You can also buy one or two day bus/ferry passes, and individual bus tokens and ferry tickets in case you want to spend a day on an excursion or exploring the dockyard.

Edited by kylenyc

Do yourself a huge favour and search out the CC Bermuda Boards. You can read them for days and they are loaded with great ideas. We went to Bermuda for the first time in July and because of the boards, I had the courage to tackle the transit system and see a lot of things I wouldn't have seen had I just booked excursions, so do check it out - just search "bermuda".

Also on those boards, a lot of people hire a private guide and there are tips on how to do that. I didn't, but people rave about what great tours they get by either doing that in advance, or taking a "blue flag" taxi. Once again, do read through the boards and have an amazing trip. Bermuda is my new favourite place.

I have been to Bermuda four times~~so did Horseshoe Bay, glass bottom boat, tip of the Bermuda triangle so this time it was a private resort~~Cocoa Reef Resort by reservation only~~you have to e-mail them for a reservation~~the most beautiful day~~just the people staying there~~beach, pool and a two-course lunch and a glass of wine for $49.00~~I even fell asleep! Took the ferry to Hamilton and a taxi! Have a fun time whatever you do! Bermuda is great!:)

• 6 months later...

4/2014 Oceania Trans-Atlantic cruise's 1st port of call was Bermuda. We lucked into Michal (Mike) of Affordable Ride Tours in his bright orange mini-bus. If you want a real tour with an 'ambassador' of Bermuda who won an award for tourism, HE is your man. He made a special stop for a Dark 'n Stormy, the local fish stew, a short Rum Twizzle (Swizzle?), collection of some pink sand, along with anything else we wanted to do. He will customize the tour for you, and you'll get info from a real local. His van is well-traveled, so if you want to go to the beach, you'll be comfortable getting back into it with a little sand in your sandals. We really enjoyed his tour!

Edited by 22Mermaid

Things to do

Where do you get the free bus to Fort St Catherine's? I have taken a minivan from the square to Tobacco Beach for a fee but didn't know about a free bus to the fort.

Where do you get the free bus to Fort St Catherine's? I have taken a minivan from the square to Tobacco Beach for a fee but didn't know about a free bus to the fort.

Point F is where the ferry drops you off. Follow green line towards King's Square. The bus comes down, circles around every 30 minutes except when the bus driver goes to lunch.

Tobacco bay is a leisurely 15 minute walk from Fort St. Catherine. From there, the Unfinished Church is 15 minutes up a steep hill which levels off, and then another 15 minutes downhill into town, Somers Garden, St. Peter's Church, and King's Square. (returning via blue line)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714937&page=4#79

st-george-map-marked.jpg

Edited by kylenyc

Point F is where the ferry drops you off. Follow green line towards King's Square. The bus comes down, circles around every 30 minutes except when the bus driver goes to lunch.

Tobacco bay is a leisurely 15 minute walk from Fort St. Catherine. From there, the Unfinished Church is 15 minutes up a steep hill which levels off, and then another 15 minutes downhill into town, Somers Garden, St. Peter's Church, and King's Square. (returning via blue line)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714937&page=4#79

st-george-map-marked.jpg

From what I understand the ferry now docks at Penno's Wharf which is by bottom "B" on the map. We were last there in 2012 too and the green line was correct then. I think it changed last year. I hope someone comes back to tell us if the free bus and taxis come over by the Penno's Wharf or do we have to walk to King's Square?

Edited by peg013

From what I understand the ferry now docks at Penno's Wharf which is by "B" on the map. We were last there in 2012 too and the green line was correct then. I think it changed last year. I hope someone comes back to tell us if the free bus and taxis come over by the Penno's Wharf or do we have to walk to King's Square?

I'll try to remember to report back when I go the week before you.

I'm having trouble understanding what you wrote in this paragraph. TB is less than a 10 minute walk from FSC as long as the walker does not have mobility problems. The walk from FSC to the UC is 15 minutes, but it is not up a steep hill. The steep hill is from the UC to TB or FSC. It is about a 6-7 minute walk, down hill, from the UC to KS, and you'll pass SG on the way and be a few steps away from SPC.

Depending on which ferry is doing the Orange Route, the ferry dock could be at Pennos Wharf. The map below does not have Pennos Wharf identified yet but it is located just above the B in Bus stop.

StGeo-alt.jpg

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling

Weather averages in early-mid May look pretty brisk. Certainly much better than the winter that we've just had, but isn't it still too cold for swimming or getting tans at the beach?

From what I understand the ferry now docks at Penno's Wharf which is by bottom "B" on the map. We were last there in 2012 too and the green line was correct then. I think it changed last year. I hope someone comes back to tell us if the free bus and taxis come over by the Penno's Wharf or do we have to walk to King's Square?

The ferry stop was moved to Penno's Wharf in 2013 because Bermuda began using a chartered ferry formerly based in Rhode Island for the Orange Route (Dockyard to St. George's) service. Due to the configuration of that chartered ferry boat, it could not use the former ferry dock located near Kings Square and the ferry terminal was moved to Penno's Wharf. That same boat is supposed to be used this year, so the ferry dock should remain at Penno's.

I didn't check for the availability of taxis at Penno's, but it's hard to imagine that there wouldn't be at least a few waiting there at the ferry's scheduled arrival time. After all that's where their potential customers will be.

The ferry stop was moved to Penno's Wharf in 2013 because Bermuda began using a chartered ferry formerly based in Rhode Island for the Orange Route (Dockyard to St. George's) service. Due to the configuration of that chartered ferry boat, it could not use the former ferry dock located near Kings Square and the ferry terminal was moved to Penno's Wharf. That same boat is supposed to be used this year, so the ferry dock should remain at Penno's.

I didn't check for the availability of taxis at Penno's, but it's hard to imagine that there wouldn't be at least a few waiting there at the ferry's scheduled arrival time. After all that's where their potential customers will be.

Can you tell me anything about the free minibus to Fort St Catherine's? Is it a hop on, hop off, sort of bus? What is it's route?

Our first time in Bermuda was many many years ago in a land vacation. All I really remember is how beautiful the water, sand and the people were.

We rented those darn mopeds. Not sure how we managed to not get hurt. I think it was because my hubby rode motorcycles back then.

Good times and can't wait to go back this summer.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

The OP posted his question on 10/16/13, and was departing on 10/18/13, just sayin'.

SBtS

Yeah, but since I just booked my first ever Bermuda cruise about 10 minutes ago, I'm glad people have re-discovered the thread and are posting ideas!

it will also be my first time to bermuda in june. I was thinking of taking some kind of island tour/sight seeing tour of the whole island on the first day i am there. any tips on any tour companys?

If you go over to the Bermuda Ports of Call board you'll find many, many recommendations for things to see and places to go. What many people who want an overview-type of island tour do is to hire a blue flag (they're certified tour guides) taxi driver for a 3 hour or longer tour. There's a very long thread on the Bermuda board giving recommendations. I'd suggest starting from the end of the thread (the most recent posts) rather than the beginning, because the thread has been active for years and some of the older advice is no longer valid (for example some of the recommended drivers have retired).