Does anyone carry thier luggage onto the ship??

Ugaaucruisers

We've always checked our luggage with the porters, but:

The reason someone would not want to do this is the risk of lost luggage. While the risk is extreamly low you do hear about it every now and then. Celebrity, like other cruise lines, does not really cover your luggage if you leave it up to them to get it moved onto or off of the ship. From what I've read on other threads, the cruise lines limit their liability for lost or stolen luggage to $300 and they require you to produce itemized lists and receipts of what was inside and won't pay on some types of items. So while we always check our luggage I can understand why someone would prefer to bring it on board themselves to eliminate this risk.

medium suitcase will fit.

Define "medium" in size, please. We don't have the largest size but wonder if our smaller one would fit through.

I prefer to carry mine on because I can get to unpacking right away and not have to wait. I am the person you NEVER want to get in line behind at the store because there will be a hold up of major proportions in front of me. With the luggage, mine always seems to be the last delivered to the cabin in spite of the D+ label on it (lol)

Tucker in Texas

medium suitcase will fit.

I'm not sure why you quoted me. I wasn't suggesting that a medium suitcase won't fit through the scanners. Regardless of how much (or little) luggage I have, my preference is to not carry it on. We prefer to board the ship early and have no desire to drag our bags with us. On our previous cruises we have always received our luggage well before dinner.

I can't imagine carrying my luggage onboard :eek: :o

[ATTACH]290009[/ATTACH]

And that is just for a 2 night cruise to nowhere, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

@tucker:

ken&mel gave pretty much the best definition:

If you can carry it on a plane you can carry it on a ship. If it's too big for a carry on or to fit through an airport scanner they will turn you away. I'd say a medium bag will depend on how bulky it is.

a cabin trolley alway fits, the giant ones never do fit and the ones in between depend on the port (what scanners they do have) and the kindness and flexibility of the employees.

it happened to me that the exact same luggage a few time was accepted a few times was not. so eighter take a cabin trolley or avoid packing the important things in your medium sized luggage as you might need to have it delivered.

I'm not sure why you quoted me.

now i am not sure as well. probably I did read over your post too quickly. and I agree, when you board early (like before 1 pm) it makes sense to have your luggage delivered, as the staterooms will not be ready. I think staterooms never were not ready after 2pm.

- if you arrive earlier, be prepared to take it with you everywhere you go until that time. --> better have it delivered

- when you arrive later, you will still need to do the manual "work" to bring it onboard yourself. depending on how much you are bringing this can be painful or easy. plus it is possible that they do not let you take it as they consider it beeing to big for the scanners (with can be an inconvenience when your one and only speedo is in that bag). when you decide to have it delivered, prepare to get it not a lot earlier than 5pm and in rare cases at night. --> decide for yourself depending on your size of luggage and what you want to do on that day.

A earlier poster mentioned putting luggage outside the stateroom door before the rooms are ready. This probably won't work on Celebrity because the fire doors leading to the stateroom passageways are generally closed until the official announcement that stateroom cleaning us complete. Don't plan on being able to leave your luggage at the room if you board with it.

We usually fly to our cruise destinations, but this time we are boarding the ship from our homeport. I planned to take a can of Lysol spray plus some other items I wouldn't be able to take on a plane (larger versions of shampoo, hair spray, etc.) in our carry-on. Is this allowed or should I pack it all in our checked luggage?

We usually fly to our cruise destinations, but this time we are boarding the ship from our homeport. I planned to take a can of Lysol spray plus some other items I wouldn't be able to take on a plane (larger versions of shampoo, hair spray, etc.) in our carry-on. Is this allowed or should I pack it all in our checked luggage?

I always pack anything that could possibly be used as a container for alcohol in my carry-on. If there is a question, I want it inspected when I get on the ship and not have to go to the naughty room to prove it is something perfectly legal. Got better things to do with my time (lol).

Tucker in Texas

carry it on to the ship. But, leave the industrial size bottle and professional steam cleaner at home.:)

Too funny! I am not usually a germaphobe, but with the Summit having it's bad time last month, I've been advised by a nurse/friend to spray things and then go play. Never use Lysol spray at home. :D

On our last cruise (Sun Princess around the Sth Pacific) we embarked at Brisbane, Australia, and after our check-in (which was pretty quick) at dockside, our luggage was taken away, and we walked onto the ship, to look around, and have one of those nice "welcome" cocktails they handed out. Then later on, our luggage was hand delivered to our cabin.

It seemed so orderly, no rush to have our bag in the cabin, which gave us plenty of time to wander around & explore the ship before our bags arrived.

[quote

If you can carry it on a plane you can carry it on a ship. If it's too big for a carry on or to fit through an airport scanner they will turn you away. I'd say a medium bag will depend on how bulky it is.

Not true. I always take my luggage on and off the ship myself. Depending on the cruise, this has included a 30" upright or my wife's large duffle bag. On one cruise out of Seattle, several port workers said we couldn't take the bags on ourselves. We insisted we could. When we got to security, they said nothing, scanned the bags, and on we went. On one cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, my brother was told he'd have to check his because security wouldn't allow it, so he checked it. When he got to security and asked, they said they would have taken it. I'd much rather have my bags with me. And I would NEVER leave them in the hallway on the last night. One time, a passenger took my Dad's bag from the terminal since he didn't bother to check the tag. He ended up having to ship it and my Dad was without most of his stuff for several days. Just too many possible issues.

Once on the ship we either drop bags in room (or outside room), and go about our business. Worst case we wheel them to eat or pool - big deal. At least I know I can unpack at 1pm and not 8pm, like a member of my party had to do recently - and we were amongst the first on the ship.

It must be a problem with US cruise ships then, as we had no problem having our luggage screened at the check-in point dockside at Brisbane. We were told our luggage would be delivered "into our room" later on, which they were.

Before they arrived, we walked around the ship, had a nice complimentary drink from the bar (part of being welcomed on-board), then after looking around the ship, getting our bearings, went to our cabin, and bingo, there were the bags, still padlocked of course.

When we disembarked, our wonderful cabin steward, whom we made a good friendship with (showed us photos of his wife & children back home) told us to leave our bags outside the night before (which we noticed everyone was doing)

No problems, nothing missing, or tampered with.

[quote name='Widebay']It must be a problem with US cruise ships then, as we had no problem having our luggage screened at the check-in point dockside at Brisbane. We were told our luggage would be delivered "into our room" later on, which they were.

Before they arrived, we walked around the ship, had a nice complimentary drink from the bar (part of being welcomed on-board), then after looking around the ship, getting our bearings, went to our cabin, and bingo, there were the bags, still padlocked of course.

When we disembarked, our wonderful cabin steward, whom we made a good friendship with (showed us photos of his wife & children back home) told us to leave our bags outside the night before (which we noticed everyone was doing)

No problems, nothing missing, or tampered with.[/QUOTE]

When we embarked in Sydney, they would not allow anyone to carry on any bag that was more than 22 inches in size. All the large bags had to be checked to the porters.

The question originally asked is if it is possible to carry on your luggage
The simple answer is yes,provided it is an appropriate size. Using airline standards for carryon assures it is possible.

While many will never consider packing just one 22 inch suitcase for a trip for others like myself it is definitely possible. After having airlines lose or delay bags on 3 desperate occasions and one cruise with luggage finally delivered after midnight(after flying from us to Europe) i know what I need and pack only the necessities.

Yes it is possible if the motivation is there
No it's not too common

Darcie - perhaps I should explained myself better, when we left our bags outside our door the night before our cruise finished, we left the cruise ship, and our luggage was in the cruise terminal with other bags, awaiting collection.....so easy, so simple.

We have always checked our larger pieces of luggage with the porters outside the ship. We keep our smaller suitcases with us because they include medicines and jewelry. On Celebrity, the checked luggage usually arrives at our cabin within 2 hours of check-in. On one of our cruises that left out of New York City (not Celebrity) the longshoremen were loading the suitcases onto the ship, and a bunch of them fell into the water. People who were sitting on their balconies watching the embarkation saw the bags go into the water. The longshoremen fished a bunch of the bags out of the water, but some were lost. The cruiseline washed the clothing from the wet bags, but the bags were ruined, and non-clothing items were ruined. This is a rare occurrence and I still check my larger bags because of the convenience.

[quote name='Widebay']Darcie - perhaps I should explained myself better, when we left our bags outside our door the night before our cruise finished, we left the cruise ship, and our luggage was in the cruise terminal with other bags, awaiting collection.....so easy, so simple.[/QUOTE]

You've been lucky in comparison to us. Three out of the last four times we left a bag out the night before it was screwed up. Once put off in a corner far away from where it should have been and just lucky to stumble across it. Another time not where it should have been and by the time we found it, our paid for up front tour had left so we ate $120. The third time it probably would have been lost for good. We were staying overnight in port and spent the better part of the afternoon and evening (hotel a great help) tracking it down. It was finally located it in the port general lost and found only because some nice employee got off his rear end to go search for it. In all cases, the tags were still on it (not only ship's but our personal ID) in several places and an itinerary with all pertinent information was on top of the unlocked bag.

I, also, worry about what might be put in the bag left outside my room the night before. I don't know how a buddy would get to the bag once off the ship to retrieve the "stuff" but I don't want to find out the hard way when the dogs discover it first!

Tucker in Texas

We like to do carry on as well. Usually we just do two small bags each so no issue.

Once or twice we needed to carryon larger bags and it really varies by the cruise port.

You could go to the departure ports pages and see if anyone knows about how that port does things. The staff at boarding are port employees and often contractors so each port is different.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]If you want to carry on your bags but are not sure whether or not they will fit, you can always try.
Just put all essentials that you absolutely must keep with you in your smaller bags.

Then if it should turn out that any bag is too large to fit through the scanner at that port and needs to be checked, you will still have everything you really need with you and no reason to worry about it.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Widebay']Darcie - perhaps I should explained myself better, when we left our bags outside our door the night before our cruise finished, we left the cruise ship, and our luggage was in the cruise terminal with other bags, awaiting collection.....so easy, so simple.[/quote][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]That is commonly the case for the luggage of most cruise passengers, most of the time,
but not everyone is always so lucky.

We realize that we are taking a risk each time we leave our bags outside the door on the final night. It is a risk that not everyone is willing to take. See the recent thread[/SIZE][/FONT]

[URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917602"]LOST LUGGAGE ** Please help!!!**[/URL]

Last winter in Miami we tried to bring our big suitcases into the terminal and were turned away. We always tip the porters well but I don't think it helps much. Luggage is just left in a big group out in the open but clustered around a container/shed. We had a bit of a wait inside the terminal building waiting to board the ship and had forgotten an item in the large suitcase outside. My husband fought through the chaotic crowds outdoors for a third time and reached our suitcases, opened one up and retrieved the item. No one was watching and no one cared! So much for the big tip! It's a miracle that most of the time suitcases arrive safely. It always makes me anxious.

Last year some friends embarked on a 10 day Celebrity Mediterranean cruise without any of their luggage- because of flight delays and mixed connections, their luggage didn't make it to the airport on their arriving flight. By some miracle, it appeared in their stateroom after dinner! They had been in their travel clothes for over 24 hrs and were expecting to have to buy clothes onboard!

[quote name='Ninthroad']Everyone does, except passengers from the US :p
[/QUOTE]

Passengers from the US make up 70 %.
We've never seen anyone do it.
We've never done it and we're definitely not from the US.

So actually the correct phrasing is "someone does". Period.

Archived