Knockoff Purses in the Bahamas

CBeachMom

Does anyone have ideas on where to buy fake designer purses in the Bahamas (either Nassau or Freeport)? Since the Nassau Straw Market has been revamped it seems that the only way to buy the knockoffs is to follow someone down a back alley. Yeah... I'm not doing that.:eek: Never been to Freeport before, so I don't know anything about that port. Any suggestions?

The worldwide market is putting many of those knock off designer goods off the discount tables. They are illegal and authorities are stopping their sales. I used to notice them in our travels but hardly see them anymore and the ones I have seen are so bad, I doubt they hold appeal for many people.

Don't count on finding them in near the former numbers.

Not sure about the US laws and any associated penalties but the importation of knock off goods into Canada is a criminal offence, read felony. And I agree why would anyone want a knock off other than because they can't afford the real thing and want others to think higher of them or something?

bet you weren't expecting the beat-down you got.. how was I know know the Rolex I bought for $50 wasn't real? it said Rolex right on it.

I'm assuming this is a tongue in cheek post but if not, the

$50 price was a clue.:D:D

People who buy the real things can spot a fake a mile away.;)

I get emails from a site that advertises Louis Vuitton for 80% off. Things actually sound pretty much on the up and up with the materials and workmaship they use. However, Louis Vuitton NEVER discounts their items, and if you just happen to notice a real quick staterment, it says, designer inspired items yet they continue to say they are guaranteed authentic. Very tricky advertiseing that is easily missed. Bags aren't cheap either but compared to the real things them seem like they are.

Don't know how I got on their mailing list and I have unsubscribed but continue to get things from the site.:(

I just read an article today that said LV & Chanel actually BURN their items that don't sell so they aren't sold at a discount! :eek: :eek: I thought that was a bit over the top! Before the burn them they offer them to employees at cost but the ones that are left~~ Burn baby!! :(

Interesting about the LV bags. Before we moved, I purged all the pocket books I haven't used in a while. I hesitated over my LV satchel since it's still in style. I would NEVER have put it in the bag for good will, but have been looking for it here and can't find it. Everything isn't unpacked so maybe it will still show up. I can't believe they burn their bags.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned is that a lot of the money from the sale of these goods from bags and fake designer clothing, sunglasses etc. is, it can fund criminal gangs and even terrorism. Maybe not the guy selling you the purse on the dockside but further up the supply chain.

I remember a story when I bought one of my LV bags, one of the boys that worked for me said, I would rather by my GF a copy and have the $1500 to put inside it. I came back quick as a flash and said if you were carrying a copy you wouldn't have $1500 to put in it! I see them an investment as LV never goes out of style.

Not only are these counterfeit bags illegal to sell in the bahamas, but they are also illegal to purchase. If you are caught, you can be arrested, jailed and fined.

Gov't cracked down a year ago on this which drove the dealers underground like drug dealers.

They are treated the same.

Italy has been very stern about these copies for years. I recall many years ago, we were walking in Florence and there were some sidewalk tables with copies of Gucci and Fendi etc. Carabinieri (police) came and that was the end of business that day. :)

The answer to your question is it won't be hard for you to find people to buy this kind of crap from. The shops aren't in some crime-infested area like you might think. They're clearly marked, most of them, in shops right around the straw market. More than likely, you'll be approached within minutes of going into that area by a "guide" who gets a cut of the profits if you buy a bag from a peddler she took you to.

Having said that, this summer one of our ports was Nassau. My friend and I were headed to meet our guides for a booked excursion and as we passed by the straw market and all that chaos, we were approached by a lady who said she could take us to places where they sold Coach (I was carrying a legit Coach bag), LV, Michael Kors and other brands. Although they have cracked down on it, the back street alley places peddling the trash are not difficult to find. I saw "guides" taking people in the joints and I also saw tourists just going in them on their own. A lot of them have signs that clearly mark them as a place where this kind of crap is sold. I saw several gals walking around with what were clearly fake LV bags the rest of the cruise.

It's illegal, it's made in sweat factories, it's obvious you're trying to impress people with a brand name you can't otherwise afford and the money made often goes to fund crime. Is it really that important to you?

I see people in the grocery store paying with food stamps for groceries, pulling their wallets out of a fake LV bag and wonder who exactly it is they think they're fooling.

Archived