What are some Hole in the Wall not to miss places to eat?

whataboutport

What about Port of Call restaurant on Espalnade Ave and the Clover Grill on Bourbon Street??? Both of those places are on my list to visit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And both are good. I'm more of a Port Of Call girl myself!

If you want to see locals in action, head down to Chalmette to Rocky and Carlo's. It's cafeteria style sort of, but veal parmesan, spagetti and meatballs, po-boy sandwiches(shrimp, oyster, roast beef with gravy, hot sausage) and a plate of baked macaroni with red gravy (tomato sauce to everyone else) are all popular. The sign on the front window is an original from the 60's...."Ladies Welcome". It's a 7 mile straight run down Rampart St. which changes names to St. Claude (goes through the 9th ward) and then changes names to W. St. Bernard Hwy as you enter St. Bernard Parish. Not fancy by a long shot, but stand in line and listen to the locals, you'll know how to order by the time you make it to the counter.

Edited by BigEasyCC

And both are good. I'm more of a Port Of Call girl myself!

If you want to see locals in action, head down to Chalmette to Rocky and Carlo's. It's cafeteria style sort of, but veal parmesan, spagetti and meatballs, po-boy sandwiches(shrimp, oyster, roast beef with gravy, hot sausage) and a plate of baked macaroni with red gravy (tomato sauce to everyone else) are all popular. The sign on the front window is an original from the 60's...."Ladies Welcome". It's a 7 mile straight run down Rampart St. which changes names to St. Claude (goes through the 9th ward) and then changes names to W. St. Bernard Hwy as you enter St. Bernard Parish. Not fancy by a long shot, but stand in line and listen to the locals, you'll know how to order by the time you make it to the counter.

I have that Rocky's window sign wrong...it's "Ladies Invited".

The Crawfish beignet at Katies.

I know that taste is subjective. So some people may say it was just "meh". But I really really liked it. DH also tried it, which surprised me as he generally doesn't go too far out of the normal comfort food zone. He really enjoyed it as well.

33c1agp.jpg[/img]

The Boudreaux Pizza at Katies. This was also good. But I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I would have had I not eaten that entire darn Beignet beforehand :rolleyes: I was already full but had my heart set on trying this pizza. It was really good. But my heart wasn't in it due to my fully belly

281vv6a.jpg[/img]

Service was OK. Not outstanding, but not bad at all. Just pretty standard I guess.

Sorry, no pics from Ruby Slipper. Agree, they were a bit pricey. But I was expecting pricey being in the middle of New Orleans and it was vacation. I knew I wouldn't get there again any time in the near future so I was gonna go for it! LOL My husband said his omelet was good but he certainly didn't rave about it. He did like my Bloody Mary. I had the eggs blackstone and I thought it was wonderful. Met and exceeded my expectations.

Looks so good! Do you remember how much is the crawfish beignet?

I'm sorry, I don't remember for certain. If I had to guess, I would say around $12.00 but that's a guess.

It was exceptionally good. Crawfish, onion, 3 kinds of cheeses, covered in a jalapeno aoli. (but i didnt find it spicy at all)

I didnt think the pricing was outrageous by any means, considering that we were in New Orleans, it wasnt bad pricing at all.

Ruby Slipper was kind of high $ for breakfast. That said, it was totally worth it IMHO. I would return for sure to both places.

If you google Katies Mid City they do have a website with a menu. If I remember correctly, they did have pricing on there. Also, TripAdvisor has quite a few reviews if you are interested.

I'm a local and I LOVE Katie's. The pizza is awesome and so is the "barge". The barge is a poboy about 3 feet long with fried shrimp, fish, and oysters on it. It's wonderful and feeds about 4 people for $40

Also, a little mexican hole in the wall in new orleans is Felipe's. It's freshly cooked and good.

Thin fried catfish at New Orleans Hamburger is really good too.

I'm a local and I LOVE Katie's. The pizza is awesome and so is the "barge". The barge is a poboy about 3 feet long with fried shrimp, fish, and oysters on it. It's wonderful and feeds about 4 people for $40

Also, a little mexican hole in the wall in new orleans is Felipe's. It's freshly cooked and good.

Thin fried catfish at New Orleans Hamburger is really good too.

I just can't think of Katies as a hole-in-the-wall restaurant. Katies is good, clean, and just down right presentable! Katie's is great, but by far not a hole-in-the-wall. I'm just sayin'.

Few, if any, of the restaurants mentioned are "hole-in-the-wall" places. They are relatively inexpensive "neighborhood"-type restaurants.

The only exception is Port of Call, which is a very small bar and restaurant on Esplanade that is known for its food, especially its hamburgers. Though Port of Call has other itmes on its small menu, hamburgers are the reason for its popularity.

Note that Port of Call is very popular and often is very crowded. Usually there are people standing outside the bar on Esplanade enjoying their drinks as they wait for a table.

I didn't really mention Katie's because I thought it was a " hole in the wall" so much that I did it because it isn't a "touristy" place. OP described what they were looking for as "hole in the wall" but I guess I kind of took it as they were looking for places that weren't frequented by tons of tourists, or franchises where the menu in New Orleans is the same as somewhere in Utah.

Katie's, while not considered a "hole in the wall" restaurant by some people's definition, still seemed to fit the bill that customer was looking for, IMHO. Someplace small, local, serving freshly made food by people who seem to love their city love serving well made food. I'm just sayin

Edited by Nadersmom

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with Acme Oyster House, but I don't think that is a hole in the wall place.

I'm shocked no one mentioned Mothers, this place has amazing food, inexpensive and really fun. Yes it's a counter where you get your food and then all crowded with people in the big room you eat. Oh but the po' boys..........shrimp hot, pops in your mouth it's so fresh. The Debris oh yummy......... and for breakfast, the pancakes are awesome. We stayed at a hotel across the street last time we were there and just loved this place!!! Google it, you can see the menu.

Carole

• 2 weeks later...

Katie's is on a residential street hard to know about unless you are looking for it.

For a true hole in a wall, go to BooKoo BBQ at Finn McCool's you literally order food from a hole in the wall. lol

Acme is very touristy. If you are going touristy go to Dragos.

There are better places to get oysters than Acme. I cringe when I see the tourists in line there.

Edited by NolaZach

I totally agree with Acme Oyster House, but I don't think that is a hole in the wall place.

I'm shocked no one mentioned Mothers, this place has amazing food, inexpensive and really fun. Yes it's a counter where you get your food and then all crowded with people in the big room you eat. Oh but the po' boys..........shrimp hot, pops in your mouth it's so fresh. The Debris oh yummy......... and for breakfast, the pancakes are awesome. We stayed at a hotel across the street last time we were there and just loved this place!!! Google it, you can see the menu.

Carole

A lot of people consider mothers a tourist trap. I love it though. I like the debris po boy and the jambalaya. As for price...A debris, jambalaya and a diet coke cost me $25 last night. But they don't allow tipping so it probably evens out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We will be coming to N.O. to board the Elation in a few months or so. We will be staying at the Hampton Inn on Convention Center Blvd., would love to enjoy some Cajun/Creole food, any places within walking distance? Wouldn't mind a short cab ride, either.

Mother's is good, there will probably be a line outside. They cook their roast beef fresh every morning. Very good. I like Leni's for a great shrimp po-boy or oyster po-boy if your in town on a week day. Leni's is down the street from Rouses grocery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

We will be coming to N.O. to board the Elation in a few months or so. We will be staying at the Hampton Inn on Convention Center Blvd., would love to enjoy some Cajun/Creole food, any places within walking distance? Wouldn't mind a short cab ride, either.

Be sure to go to Mulate's on the corner of Convention Center Blvd. and Julia just a short walk from your hotel.