I've heard mixed reviews on if the upsell fairy still takes calls? Yes or No?

cruisecritiquer

I don't see any harm in reaching out to ask.

Our TA calls for us while we're on hold. Recently there was a price drop and we were able to be upgraded several categories. I have also had the TA call RE: upsells on various cruiselines.

I'm of the opinion: it never hurts to ask!! The worst you'll be told is "no".

I already have the number to the reassignment desk. ;) The phone number is not closed, I assure you. That number that used to be common knowledge still works. However, when some people called in they were told don't call us, we'll call you while some others said their call was successful. I'm just trying to ascertain what their views are currently.

I have called the reassignment desk before and was told "do not call us we will call you" and then two weeks later they called me and offered a upsell to the owners suite.

I know! And I'm scared like a little kid. :o It's ridiculous. :( I've picked up the phone a couple of times and hung it back up. I used to get the same feeling when asking my strict parents if a friend could come along on vacation or spend the night. LOL Since there are still 14 left, I may wait a little while. :o Until then, thanks for letting me vent about it. I really appreciate everyone just letting me go on and on and on without throwing stones (yet). :D Maybe I'll wait for 2tnts to call first. LOL

Let us know how this turns out. We're 10 months out on our cruise and right now are booked on an aft facing mini suite but would love to upgrade to aft facing penthouse if the price is right. I'll be watching the prices closely and hopefully close to sail time we'll either get a call from the upgrade fairy or be brave enough to call ourselves. :D

Hello all,

I've read some threads but the answers seem to be mixed as to whether the upsell fairy (reassignment desk) accepts phone calls close to the sailing date. I haven't seen too much talk about this recently so maybe this is a thing of the past.

Anyway, I am noticing that there are still 14 2-bedroom suites available and they haven't been selling that well over the last month. I am very happy with the cabin I have right now as I always book what i would be happy with from the beginning but if it is possible to obtain an upsell to a two bedroom family villa (as I've seen happen on this board), that would be outstanding (and I know...not likely).

My PCC offered me an upgrade from the M2 to the mini suite with spa but I don't want to be aft and I want to be closer to the kid's club and the garden cafe (because of DS).

The only other things we could upgrade to would be the 2 bedroom.

So does the reassignment desk operate on a "don't call us, we'll call you" only basis now. I'd like to hear from people who have tried to contact the reassignment desk recently (within the last 6 months or so).

Thanks!

Haha! We really must be on the same wavelength. When you posted the discounted rates - I thought about upgrading to a mini-suite...same issue...I liked the location we are in...close to Garden Cafe, etc. Last night I was looking at the Haven 2-BR suites and trying to figure out if we could put the 6 of us from 2 cabins into the suite without breaking the bank. Was shocked to see so many available. Sure would be nice - but I do not want to spend $2K+ to upgrade. You would think it would be in their best interest to really discount these suites and open up lower category staterooms for others rather than sail with them empty. Ahhh...I am thinking it is wishful thinking though...but of course, I will keep watching too. Either way...3 weeks...and we will be in Florida anxiously awaiting Saturday morning! :p

I have called the reassignment desk before and was told "do not call us we will call you" and then two weeks later they called me and offered a upsell to the owners suite.

I wonder if by initiating that call, the reassignment desk put you high on the call list knowing you were willing to deal.

OP, I would make the call. What do you really have to loose?

• 2 weeks later...

I never called. I figured it's better to leave it alone. I do have another question though. I've always thought the purpose of upsells was to get people out of lower priced cabins because they have a higher likeliness of selling than more expensive cabins.

But, as I look at the amount of inside cabins available in all of the categories, there seem to be dozens and dozens of them available.

IC 15+

IB 15+

I1 15+

ID 15+

and of course whatever is available of the guaranteed cabins.

There are also dozens and dozens of family balconies available.

It makes me wonder if there will be any upsells at all given that they still have so many lower level cabins to sell. There are just so many of them that seem to be empty still. :confused:

Those suite prices sure aren't budging either. BOOOOO! lol

I never called. I figured it's better to leave it alone. I do have another question though. I've always thought the purpose of upsells was to get people out of lower priced cabins because they have a higher likeliness of selling than more expensive cabins.

But, as I look at the amount of inside cabins available in all of the categories, there seem to be dozens and dozens of them available.

IC 15+

IB 15+

I1 15+

ID 15+

It makes me wonder if there will be any upsells at all given that they still have so many lower level cabins to sell. There are just so many of them that seem to be empty still. :confused:

Well there is an upside here..............things won't be too crowded. Hope you get an upgrade!

Well there is an upside here..............things won't be too crowded. Hope you get an upgrade!

That is an upside! LOL. I hadn't thought of that but you are right. Honestly, we'd be perfectly happy in our mini-suite if there was just a curtain divider. I like to stay up and read or watch tv for a bit. DH and DS sleep right away but they aren't going to want the lights on. It would have been nice if I could have a little section of the cabin illuminated like on the Jewel class ships while they catch their zzzzzz's.

Just call. It is not going to hurt your chances, and it might help. It is their job to find people who are interested in paying more, for a higher cabin. As long as you are not bugging them, you are helping them. I called outside of office hours to be sure to get voice mail.

The first time I sailed NCL, they called me and we did an upsell into a balcony for not a lot.

Last cruise, 2 years ago I guess, we were booked in a balcony and there were lots of suites left. We had never sailed in a suite before. I called 2 weeks before sail date and left a message saying if they were looking for people to move up to a suite, we would be interested in trying it. I left my reservation number, and also let my TA know I had contacted them. She got a call, and we got the suite. Don't remember how much but it was a good deal.

Next trip we are booked in a suite...

IC 15+

IB 15+

I1 15+

ID 15+

This is my first cruise, so forgive me for a stupid question, but how do you find out how many cabins are still available for each category? Thanks!

This is my first cruise, so forgive me for a stupid question, but how do you find out how many cabins are still available for each category? Thanks!

I just do a mock booking search on their site for the various categories. They list a maximum of 15 cabins in each category at a time. You can see the list at the point you would be selecting your cabin number. If I was feeling very ambitious, I could manually put in each cabin number (there is a place to do that at the bottom) and figure out exactly how many are reserved vs. available but of course that would be way too much work. :)

Just call. It is not going to hurt your chances, and it might help. It is their job to find people who are interested in paying more, for a higher cabin. As long as you are not bugging them, you are helping them. I called outside of office hours to be sure to get voice mail.

The first time I sailed NCL, they called me and we did an upsell into a balcony for not a lot.

Last cruise, 2 years ago I guess, we were booked in a balcony and there were lots of suites left. We had never sailed in a suite before. I called 2 weeks before sail date and left a message saying if they were looking for people to move up to a suite, we would be interested in trying it. I left my reservation number, and also let my TA know I had contacted them. She got a call, and we got the suite. Don't remember how much but it was a good deal.

Next trip we are booked in a suite...

I called (after hours) and left a voice mail. We'll see. ;)

I just do a mock booking search on their site for the various categories. They list a maximum of 15 cabins in each category at a time. You can see the list at the point you would be selecting your cabin number. If I was feeling very ambitious, I could manually put in each cabin number (there is a place to do that at the bottom) and figure out exactly how many are reserved vs. available but of course that would be way too much work. :)

My dad booked all kids and grandkids in April. We are all in mini-suites (6 total). How would I find out about an upgrade? His TA hasn't been very helpful at all!! Thanks!

My dad booked all kids and grandkids in April. We are all in mini-suites (6 total). How would I find out about an upgrade? His TA hasn't been very helpful at all!! Thanks!

Hmmmm if you are all in mini-suites there might not be any place to upgrade you to. That's the situation I'm in. I'm in a M2 mini-suite and there's nowhere to go from there except to a full suite. People who purchased an inside or balcony are the ones who would really benefit from an upgrade at this point.

.......I called (after hours) and left a voice mail. We'll see......

Let me know what happens. I used to have the upsell number, but who knows where I may have it. May be written somewhere. I know if you call the reservation #, you get quoted the current rate.

My past upsells were from NCL, not me generating a call. And because of my first upsell I am addicted to the Penthouses & perks. As they say you never go back.

I agree that the sailing is not full. However, I did ask the pre-cruise concierge about number of cruisers because it seem like there are a lot of cabins available. But I was told the ship has good bookings - go figure.

My in-laws called yesterday and asked if the could upgrade from an inside cabin to a balcony. They got it for no additional cost!! Only had to move from 13 to the 8th floor, but who cares they got the upgrade for free! We sail in a couple of weeks, can't wait!!

My in-laws called yesterday and asked if the could upgrade from an inside cabin to a balcony. They got it for no additional cost!! Only had to move from 13 to the 8th floor, but who cares they got the upgrade for free! We sail in a couple of weeks, can't wait!!

Did they call the reassignment desk or customer service? :confused:

Archived