From Royal Caribbean to P&O - thoughts?

spanner14

Morning all :)

Hope someone can help. We're considering Ventura from Venice - Genoa or vice-versa next Easter, but have only ever cruised with Royal Caribbean (and Ocean Village before that). Hopefully looking at a superior deluxe balcony for DH and I and our teenage DD.

Has anyone cruised both RCI and P&O and loved both?

I have a couple of reasonably specific questions about Ventura if that's ok:

How comfortable are the beds? I'm disabled with a spine full of metal and am a bit like the Princess & the Pea so a comfy bed is a must. :)

Are there any pools apart from the adult-only Spa pool where DD and I can swim without risk of being bumped or jumped on? :eek:

One thing I love about Royal is how clean they keep communal areas, lift buttons, handrails etc. and their insistence on hand washing & alcohol gel. Until now (touch wood) this, combined with hand washing has meant that we have always had noro-free cruises. Are P&O similarly thorough?

Thank you! Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

Hope someone can help. We're considering Ventura from Venice - Genoa or vice-versa next Easter, but have only ever cruised with Royal Caribbean (and Ocean Village before that). Hopefully looking at a superior deluxe balcony for DH and I and our teenage DD.

How comfortable are the beds? I'm disabled with a spine full of metal and am a bit like the Princess & the Pea so a comfy bed is a must. :)

Are there any pools apart from the adult-only Spa pool where DD and I can swim without risk of being bumped or jumped on? :eek:

One thing I love about Royal is how clean they keep communal areas, lift buttons, handrails etc. and their insistence on hand washing & alcohol gel. Until now (touch wood) this, combined with hand washing has meant that we have always had noro-free cruises. Are P&O similarly thorough?

Hi so far Me and Lovely wife have only cruised P and O.We have been on both Azura 13 nights and Ventura 14 nights.We are back on Azura in less than two weeks time due to the fact that out of the two ships we prefer Azura it seems friendlier and the staff seem more helpful food seemed a better standard etc,but thats only our opinion.

Right the beds we found comfortable on both ships and we found the cabins adequate for our needs.I beleive they have some specialy adapted wider cabins for disabled passengers

Only pool is in the Spa area front of ship where you will not have children in with you.

We found both ships extremely clean in all areas,the staff were constantly wiping staff glass handrails etc. and as you enter buffets there were hand gel machines and while the majority of passengers followed safe hygiene by using them there was a minority who didnt bother!

On first embarking the ships and,

On excursions and returning to the ship the same applied there were gel machines by the gangways but as above not all passengers could be bothered to use them.:rolleyes:

Having said that we had no illnesses or problems on the ships when we did both cruises.

hope this helps regards Micky.:)

Oh thank you Micky, that's great. :-) Very reassuring about the cleaning etc and the beds. Azura gets such good reviews and I'd read before about some staff on Ventura being less friendly - so weird, seeing as they are the same company!

Ventura is doing the itinerary we want though.

Thanks again. :-)

Oh thank you Micky, that's great. :-) Very reassuring about the cleaning etc and the beds. Azura gets such good reviews and I'd read before about some staff on Ventura being less friendly - so weird, seeing as they are the same company!

Ventura is doing the itinerary we want though.

Thanks again. :-)

I had also heard stories of staff not be as polite on Ventura but I say speak as you find. We will know for definite in a weeks time as we are on Ventura for the first time. Like you we have cruise with Royal Caribbean, we have been on Freedom 3 times,Independance and Grandeur once each.I'm sure P&O will compare favourably.

I had also heard stories of staff not be as polite on Ventura but I say speak as you find. We will know for definite in a weeks time as we are on Ventura for the first time. Like you we have cruise with Royal Caribbean, we have been on Freedom 3 times,Independance and Grandeur once each.I'm sure P&O will compare favourably.

I agree. Really looking forward to hearing what you think. :)

A couple of weeks ago the staff on Ventura were just fine, including the much maligned reception. Almost as friendly as the crew on Oceana and beginning to approach the friendliness of Thomson crews. Ooops, wash my mouth out with soap for mentioning that T word ;)

A couple of weeks ago the staff on Ventura were just fine, including the much maligned reception. Almost as friendly as the crew on Oceana and beginning to approach the friendliness of Thomson crews. Ooops, wash my mouth out with soap for mentioning that T word ;)

I must admit I always approach everyone with friendliness and (an awful Manager years ago at Sandals being the exception) it's very rare that I receive grumpiness in return - perhaps I'm just lucky! :)

I just thought of another question about Ventura which hopefully someone can answer - my teenage dd, whilst having a very healthy diet and a dancer's appetite (!) is pretty picky about her food - starters in particular. On Royal, the waiters have always been very kind and brought her a plate of (melon-less) fresh fruit as a starter. Can and do Ventura waiters go "off-menu" and provide fruit or plain salad as a starter?

Thanks all,

I agree. Really looking forward to hearing what you think. :)

When looking at any ship remember that the crew are constantly changing and the crew who were on Azura last year could be on Ventura this year.

Personally I have not had a problem with the crew on any ship. I think they are all fantastic.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sailed with both lines. RCI have better food and entertainment. P&O have cheaper drinks prices and no 15% added tips. The beds on both are comfortable but I think RCI just edge it. But no matter which line you choose, you'll have a great time :)

Sailed with both lines. RCI have better food and entertainment. P&O have cheaper drinks prices and no 15% added tips. The beds on both are comfortable but I think RCI just edge it. But no matter which line you choose, you'll have a great time :)

Great, thank you. :)

I was reading the reviews of Ventura and started to get a little concerned about number of passengers - then I checked the stats and it seems that both Indy and Freedom of the Seas are slightly bigger than Ventura with more passengers! :)

I would loved to have cruised with Royal again next Easter but can't manage long haul flights. :( Is the food a lot better on RCI ships? Or is there not a huge difference?

There isn't a lot of difference, the buffets on both are about the same as are the evening meals. One thing I would think is in RCIs favour is the more informal food stop offs like Johnny Rockets, you don't get that with P&O.

As mentioned above the drinks on P&O are a lot cheaper.

There isn't a lot of difference, the buffets on both are about the same as are the evening meals. One thing I would think is in RCIs favour is the more informal food stop offs like Johnny Rockets, you don't get that with P&O.

As mentioned above the drinks on P&O are a lot cheaper.

Great! :) Only ate in Johnny Rockets once and it was delicious, but I could hardly manage any of my dinner in the MDR that night. :D

We're not big drinkers but I do like one pre-dinner cocktail and P&O drinks prices do seem very reasonable which is great.

Now to try and find out if they can cater for my fussy eating teenager in the MDR! :D

In March on the Azura in the Caribbean, we dined a few times with a couple who were on a gluten free diet and the staff were fantastic each evening they were given the menu for the next day so they could plan what to eat. I am sure if you mention what she is like they will try their best to accommodate.

In March on the Azura in the Caribbean, we dined a few times with a couple who were on a gluten free diet and the staff were fantastic each evening they were given the menu for the next day so they could plan what to eat. I am sure if you mention what she is like they will try their best to accommodate.

Thank you. :) She loves meat & veg, pasta, pizza, steak, roast dinner etc and almost all fruit (except melon) but doesn't like sauces, dressings on her salad, anything spicy, mushrooms, olives, soup, nuts, prawns or seafood. She's always been like it (almost phobic about trying new food) but as she eats so healthily I don't tend to make an issue out of it.

She can always find main courses and desserts on board ship but starters are a real problem. Hence the waiters on RCI would bring her a bowl of fresh fruit (minus melon!) every evening as a starter which was perfect. :) I wonder if P&O would do something similar?

We've had great cruises on both RCI and P&O (did Southampton to Sydney on Aurora this Jan); both are excellent. Ventura is a lovely ship with extra size balconies on Caribe deck. There is also an inside pool which is good for coldish days. P&O ships are kept immaculately. Beds seemed okay to me.

We've had great cruises on both RCI and P&O (did Southampton to Sydney on Aurora this Jan); both are excellent. Ventura is a lovely ship with extra size balconies on Caribe deck. There is also an inside pool which is good for coldish days. P&O ships are kept immaculately. Beds seemed okay to me.

Great news :)

I think it's deck D we are looking at - not sure what size the balcony is but looking at superior deluxe balcony cabin as they look similar in size to RCI's :)

Great news :)

I think it's deck D we are looking at - not sure what size the balcony is but looking at superior deluxe balcony cabin as they look similar in size to RCI's :)

We were on that deck - lovely extra size cabins but normal size balcony. The cabins are classed as mini suites on Princess ships with the same layout. You get a few extra perks with those balcony cabins as well. We do like the cabins on C deck though as the extra balcony space is good, especially on warm cruises. Hoping to get a late deal on a January Caribbean cruise on Ventura or Azura - fingers crossed :)

We were on that deck - lovely extra size cabins but normal size balcony. The cabins are classed as mini suites on Princess ships with the same layout. You get a few extra perks with those balcony cabins as well. We do like the cabins on C deck though as the extra balcony space is good, especially on warm cruises. Hoping to get a late deal on a January Caribbean cruise on Ventura or Azura - fingers crossed :)

Ooh, how lovely. Good luck! :)

On P&O, I found the vegetable selection curious. There was a preponderance of courgettes, parsnips and to a certain extent squash. By the end of the cruise I was howling for peas and carrots! Also, the veggies don't necessarily match the main course. Roast potatoes with chicken curry? Really? Also on one memorable day during sector one, we had potatoes 3 ways!! Having said that, I never went to bed hungry and got off the ship heavier that I got on, and I'm a fussy eater (ask the others on the table :p)

On P&O, I found the vegetable selection curious. There was a preponderance of courgettes, parsnips and to a certain extent squash. By the end of the cruise I was howling for peas and carrots! Also, the veggies don't necessarily match the main course. Roast potatoes with chicken curry? Really? Also on one memorable day during sector one, we had potatoes 3 ways!! Having said that, I never went to bed hungry and got off the ship heavier that I got on, and I'm a fussy eater (ask the others on the table :p)

Would rather have too much potato than not enough. Just got off Caribbean Princess and one evening the potato allocation was half of a very small roast potato. That along with two carrot batons and a few courgettes was certainly not enough for me. I like the additional offer of silver service vegetables on P&O - you can always say 'no' if you already have enough on your plate to start with. Not a fan of the yellow broccolli they served up one evening on Aurora :O

I ve done both lines, and both have their good and bad bits

I love the ships on RCI, but find the entertainment repetitive on each ship

Food on both is equal and we have found the waiters can always meet our strange requests when it comes to it :)

I ve done both lines, and both have their good and bad bits

I love the ships on RCI, but find the entertainment repetitive on each ship

Food on both is equal and we have found the waiters can always meet our strange requests when it comes to it :)

Excellent! :)

I must say I did love the entertainment on Indy; it wasn't really repetitive even over 2 weeks. We're only looking at 7 days on Ventura so it doesn't matter too much. Dd will be delighted as long as there's some dancing to watch. :)

Thank you. :) She loves meat & veg, pasta, pizza, steak, roast dinner etc and almost all fruit (except melon) but doesn't like sauces, dressings on her salad, anything spicy, mushrooms, olives, soup, nuts, prawns or seafood. She's always been like it (almost phobic about trying new food) but as she eats so healthily I don't tend to make an issue out of it.

She can always find main courses and desserts on board ship but starters are a real problem. Hence the waiters on RCI would bring her a bowl of fresh fruit (minus melon!) every evening as a starter which was perfect. :) I wonder if P&O would do something similar?

We're diamond on RCI and have just returned from the P&O Adonia 16 night cruise (our third with P&O).

I prefer plain meat & 2 veg. I don't like seafood or dressings. RCI MDR menus don't appeal to us and we never go there preferring to take all our meals in the buffet. The buffets on RCI/Celebrity/NCL are excellent with a great choice. The buffet on P&O has far less choice with the carvery station rarely being used so we only use the buffet for breakfast and lunch and go to the MDR at night where the food is excellent.

The MDR food on the Adonia was probably the best of any of our 24 cruises. There was always a good starter (without seafood), soup and dessert to suit my taste. For the main course my steaks were all very good as were the lamb dishes (which you don't get on RCI) and the calves liver was to die for. As the dishes are semi-plated there is plenty of potatoes/veg brought round separately by the waiter.

I find the beds on all cruise ships to be far too hard. As the cabin is always too hot for us (over 20°C when air-con on coldest setting) we get the duvet taken off and replaced by a light blanket. We instruct the steward to put the duvet under the sheets to soften the bed. On Adonia the steward found a second duvet to put underneath to further soften the bed but even so my joints were aching in the morning and I had to take ibuprofen some nights.

We're diamond on RCI and have just returned from the P&O Adonia 16 night cruise (our third with P&O).

I prefer plain meat & 2 veg. I don't like seafood or dressings. RCI MDR menus don't appeal to us and we never go there preferring to take all our meals in the buffet. The buffets on RCI/Celebrity/NCL are excellent with a great choice. The buffet on P&O has far less choice with the carvery station rarely being used so we only use the buffet for breakfast and lunch and go to the MDR at night where the food is excellent.

The MDR food on the Adonia was probably the best of any of our 24 cruises. There was always a good starter (without seafood), soup and dessert to suit my taste. For the main course my steaks were all very good as were the lamb dishes (which you don't get on RCI) and the calves liver was to die for. As the dishes are semi-plated there is plenty of potatoes/veg brought round separately by the waiter.

I find the beds on all cruise ships to be far too hard. As the cabin is always too hot for us (over 20°C when air-con on coldest setting) we get the duvet taken off and replaced by a light blanket. We instruct the steward to put the duvet under the sheets to soften the bed. On Adonia the steward found a second duvet to put underneath to further soften the bed but even so my joints were aching in the morning and I had to take ibuprofen some nights.

That's reassuring about the food, thank you. :)

We have memory foam at home which does get warm but is so comfortable. In hotels I always have to ask for an extra pillow for under my knees and a duvet to sleep on top of - except for RCI's beds which just seem to suit my back. :)

Good to know that they might be able to find a spare duvet on P&O - fingers crossed.

I hadn't thought about the lack of lamb on RCI but you're right! How odd! :confused:

Archived