Cruise Critic Community
peterdkiwi

Avalon Cruise finishing in Budapest

We have completed one Avalon cruise so understand most of the basic things (we hope) on River Cruising

A couple of question for our next cruise.

The basic marketing Itinerary outlines the last full day arriving in Budapest, Guided City Tour etc. Then disembarkation the following morning.

Would appreciate any comments on standard of tour, good and bad points.

Second Question

We are planning to spend some extra time in Budapest, we have option of stay 2, 3 or 4 extra nights. Once again appreciated your thoughts on how many extra nights.

Thirdly, we are considering staying at Sofitel Chain Bridge Club room with river view, any feed back on this hotel or alternatives.

Always enjoy you feed back, it always make the planning details of the next trip easier.

We did this in the opposite direction last year with Avalon, the city tour in Budapest was mainly on a bus driving past the main sites, we stopped at Heroes Square snd Fishermans Bastion. We had some extra time on Castle Hill to look around and had time to sit and have a drink at a lovely little cafe and people watch.

I cant comment about the Sofitel but we stayed at the Intercontinental with fantastic river and Royal Palace views, any hotel in that area with river views would be great.

We arrived in Budapest 3 nights before the cruise and loved it, could have easily spent a week, I would go back to Budapest in a heart beat, absolutely loved it. Theres so much to see Parliament, shoes on the Danube, Chain Bridge, Castle Hill, Central market, hospital in the rock, Heroes Square, the baths, the Danube...lots more. We also did a free walking tour, which was great to hear about anything from a young persons perspective, you just pay what ever you want as a tip, theres not even pressure to do that..but ofcourse we did.

Plenty of good local foods to taste too :)

Enjoy

Deb

Its a very easy place to walk around too.

We have completed one Avalon cruise so understand most of the basic things (we hope) on River Cruising

A couple of question for our next cruise.

The basic marketing Itinerary outlines the last full day arriving in Budapest, Guided City Tour etc. Then disembarkation the following morning.

Would appreciate any comments on standard of tour, good and bad points.

Second Question

We are planning to spend some extra time in Budapest, we have option of stay 2, 3 or 4 extra nights. Once again appreciated your thoughts on how many extra nights.

Thirdly, we are considering staying at Sofitel Chain Bridge Club room with river view, any feed back on this hotel or alternatives.

Always enjoy you feed back, it always make the planning details of the next trip easier.

We sailed on Avalon Tranquility from Budapest so our journey was in the opposite direction from yours.

To answer your questions, I thought I would describe our time in Budapest. We arrived at about 6:00 pm on Thursday at the Intercontinental for a 2 night stay. After the 6:00 pm meeting with the Avalon representative, we walked around and had a light dinner at a restaurant along the river.

Friday morning we had the included bus tour which hits some of the most visited sites in the city. We got out of the bus for about 45 minutes at Hero Square and also at the Fisherman's Bastion near St. Matthias. St. Matthias is being renovated so we did not go inside. We did walk on a street with shops that was behind Fisherman's Bastion.

Friday afternoon at 1:00 pm we started a 4 hour tour with Emily, a private guide that I had hired about a month before our arrival. We really enjoyed our time with Emily. She picked us up in her car and we drove to sites and then walked around. I asked her to get us tickets to the Parliament tour and this was one of the highlights of our Danube cruise. While there is construction on the outside, it does not impact the tour inside. If you go to Budapest, in our opinion, you are missing a lot if you do not go inside the Parliament. It is one of the most beautiful buildings we have ever seen. Emily also took us to Liberty Hill for pictures of both sides of the river and Margret Island. We went on the hill above the Funicular railway for pictures. I cannot list all of the places we went. She took us inside the Szechenyl Spa and baths and to see the "most beautiful" café, the New York Café. Just google Boscolo Budapest restaurant "New York Café" and you will get an idea of these very ornate restaurant and hotel.

I asked Emily to recommend a family type restaurant for dinner on Friday night and she took us to a small restaurant and introduced us to the owners and we reserved a table for dinner. It was just what we wanted for dinner. Emily's website is tourguidehungary.com or her email is info@tourguidehungary.com.

Saturday morning we had to check out at 10:30 am and then we had until 4:00 pm or so before arriving on the boat. I had booked an optional tour that Avalon offered to go to a Puszta horse farm with lunch and show. I am sorry that I did that because there was so much more we could have done in Budapest. If we had not gone to the horse show, we would have gone to enjoy the Szechenyl spa and baths. I wished we would have had time to go to the market and also to ride the underground metro.

We stayed at the Intercontinental and I paid extra for a riverview room and it was so worth it. I know that you are looking at another hotel on the river to stay in, but I recommend that you go to the you tube and look at the Insider's Tour of Budapest by the Intercontinental Concierge. This video really gets you in the mood for your wonderful visit to Budapest.

We want to go back to Budapest. Our stay was too short. I wished that we had at minimum 3 nights for our visit.

Lynn

I forgot to mention how much we enjoyed walking around Budapest in the evening. The two nights we were there we walked to an area about 6-8 blocks from the Intercontinental where there were many sidewalk cafes and lots of people out even on Thursday night. The park is called Elizabeth Park and it seemed everyone was out and about in the evening enjoying the music and the surroundings.

Thanks for feedback, it all helps, looks like 4 nights in hotel

Tassietravellers

My wife enjoyed your reply as she is from South Aust and we are doing this trip with her brother and his wife, so it will be 3 Aussies and one kiwi, I am sure I can hold my own even if I am out numbered