• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

MDR Jewel-Ladies Capri pants

Disfan5

Hey Folks,

Just wondering how strict they are about ladies wearing capri pants in the more formal MDR...

I know that I've read that ladies are supposed to wear skirts, dresses or pants, but would capri pants be ok as long as I looked somewhat dressy?

Any first hand experience?

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

Taken from NCL.com Sounds like what you're talking about is fine~

There is no problem. I have seen women in shorts-nice dressy shorts, but shorts none the less. As long as you look neat and decent there should be no problem. But I have seen staff being fussier on some sailings than others

Safe sailing

Hey Folks,

Just wondering how strict they are about ladies wearing capri pants in the more formal MDR...

I know that I've read that ladies are supposed to wear skirts, dresses or pants, but would capri pants be ok as long as I looked somewhat dressy?

Any first hand experience?

I doubt I've ever worn anything that could be described as "slacks" ( as listed in the NCL.com dress guidelines ) to the more formal MDR on any warm weather cruise. Usually wear cropped pants or Capri pants of various lengths. We ladies know how to dress up an outfit!;). Some dressier shoes, top and some jewelry, and you are good to go.

If they are going to quibble over the length of your pants, then they should not let in those ladies who wear those short short dresses which barely cover their butts. I don't think they are going to go there.:)

Despite the dress code, women seem to be able to get away with more than men. I've seen men turned away for shorts but not women. I found that most people prefer to dress a bit more formally in the evening anyway so why not just wear long dress slacks.

I have a black pair of capri's that I take with me on each cruise, but they are black and kinda dressy. The bottoms of them have a lot of material and are free flowing so it almost looks like a dress. They go right below my knees. I just put a dressy top with it and a pair of heels or sandals. :)

I've worn capris in the aft MDR on all 3 of our NCL cruises - never knew they were a no-no in there. Our 1st NCL cruise was when they had a sign in the aft MDR that jeans weren't allowed. Haven't seen that sign the past 2 cruises - and I've seen plenty of jeans in there. The only thing I've known them to draw a line on was no shorts in the more formal of the MDRs.

Despite the dress code, women seem to be able to get away with more than men. I've seen men turned away for shorts but not women. I found that most people prefer to dress a bit more formally in the evening anyway so why not just wear long dress slacks.

Because for women, "slacks" are not stylish:D. In the dress code for women, they should just take away the reference to slacks and replace it with "pants" which would cover more territory and prevent questions like these.

Yes, women can get away with more! We can show both our toes and our legs.:)

I have a black pair of capri's that I take with me on each cruise, but they are black and kinda dressy. . I just put a dressy top with it and a pair of heels or sandals. :)

Me too !!!!

because for women, "slacks" are not stylish:d. In the dress code for women, they should just take away the reference to slacks and replace it with "pants" which would cover more territory and prevent questions like these.

Thank you for the clarification :D:D:D and I'm glad you can :p

Me and my best friend wore dressy capri's with dressy heeled sandals and dressy shirts and got put in an out of the way corner of the MDR (on the jewel). We noticed people around us were dressed similar or even more casual (even spotted a few people with jeans). We had a great time joking about it, surprised they didn't have a hidden entrance to shuffle us "too casuals" in. Would do it again, we felt comfortable and had a great dinner.

I seriously do not think they cared what you wore in the MDR. We ate at both Azura and Tsars. Both times we dressed up and both times we saw people in all kinds of crazy "not-quite-dress-code-appropriate" attire. We saw jeans, tennis shoes, flip flops, shorts, t-shirts. While we really tried to follow the rules, not everyone did. So I wouldn't stress about what you wear. Look nice, don't dress like you would if you were going to Wal-Mart. And don't let other people's lack of dress code ruin your time. Its vacation, just go with it, you will be MUCH happier.

Just off the Jewel yesterday and we ate in the MDR every night. I wore capris, and also white jeans....no problems. Also DH wore jeans several nights and no problems. One night they were making men on shorts go change to long pants. On other nights some men got in with shorts.

This has not been my experience. For every adult male I have seen turned away from the dressier dining room for jeans, t-shirt and ball cap, I have seen at least three or four let in.

I have worn capri's on both the Spirit and the Pearl (and I am a plus size woman) with never being turned away from any of the main dining rooms. SIL wore shorts once, they let him in to dine, but told him he would not be allowed back in with shorts next time.

I wear capris a lot (one of them was bought on the ship!). I've never had any problems or negative comments about them. I always pack a light classic black skirt just in case, but so far so good. NCL is really not that strict about the dress code.

Because for women, "slacks" are not stylish:D. In the dress code for women, they should just take away the reference to slacks and replace it with "pants" which would cover more territory and prevent questions like these.

Viva La Difference!

What I find interesting is that women are allowed to wear jeans but not capris.

This means that technically my nice black linen capris are not allowed, but I can wear a pair of schlumpy jeans instead? Doesn't make sense. They didn't say fancy jeans -- just jeans.

Since I wear capris all summer for work (just retired them last week), most of my capris are dressy. Like a lot of posters said, a lot of this is subjective depending on how you dress besides the capris. I have no problem following rules, but prefer when they make more sense.

Archived