• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

I know I've seen a packing list!

nightingail

There is really very little that you need on a ship that you don't need on any vacation! Pack for the weather....days are ultra-casual.....swimsuits are the outfit of the day!

Medications and a simple 1st aid kit should be included, really anywhere you go!

The best piece of packing advice I've ever heard is pull half of what you pack out of your suitcase and take twice as much money.:eek: We've spent quite a bit on the first cruise we ever took which stands to reason as we had our three kids with us, but since that point, I have budgeted for everything else, however I was a serious overpacker for every vacation until recently. Once you take your first cruise, you will pretty much know what works for you and what doesn't, depending on your destination.

For our upcoming Caribbean cruise, I will be packing the following:

3 pairs of pants (includes a pair of palazzos for formal night)

1 pair capris

3 pairs shorts

1-2 bathing suits

cover up

12 tops (includes 2-sparkly tops for formal night)

1 exercise outfit

dress sandals

flip flops

folding hat

PJ's

bras, panties, 2 prs. socks

Passports and Drivers Licences

Cruise documents/Insurance/Shore Excursion letter (Money & Credit Cards)

Waterproof money case (Baggie)

Thank you cards

Small Notepad/Pen

Sunglasses

Woolite

Clothes pins

Three Way Plug

Cell phones and charger

Camera with chargers & D/L cable

Flashlight

Tide pen or Shout wipes

Hand sanitizer!! (for my pocketbook)

Seabands/ginger tablets

Small First aid kit (Antibiotic Cream/Bandaids)

Galaxy 5 with charger

Nooks & Chargers

Earbuds

Camera and Charger

Watch

Eyeglasses

Toiletries

Toothbrush & toothpaste

Q-Tips

Deodorant

Roll on Perfume

Shampoo

Makeup & Brushes

Face wipes

Hairspray Non Aerosol

Nail clippers

Sunscreen (get in Florida)

Bug Spray

Lotion

Tweezers

Small Mirror

Hair Brush

Prescriptions

Stomach relief

Pain relief

I wear a pair of yoga pants, t-shirt and athletic shoes on the plane so I don't have to pack my largest shoes. Obviously you have fashion a list of items to suit your needs. Anything more than what's on this list and I was bringing things home clean, rewashing and putting it away. Wearing things for a few hours does not make them dirty. I bring my clothes clips with me that I use to take camping to hang my wet bathing suit up with or anything that might need a quick wash out.

Just pack as you would for a week at a hotel. There are a zillion packing lists on this site, but a lot of them include so many things that you probably won't need.

A lot depends on how often you like to change, if you're a slave to fashion (as I tend to be), if you're doing formal or not, etc.. Just spend a few minutes thinking about what you'll be doing, how often you want to wear items, and if you'll send clothes out to be cleaned. Throw in your passport, money, prescription meds, camera, sunscreen & sunglasses & you'll be set!

I make a day by day list. Doing it that way, you can mix and match or pack completely unique outfits. I'm a dress girl so I lean toward not wearing anything twice. I don't always wear everything at the time that I have it on my list, but Mom and I do try to not clash for dinner so this helps too.

Then, I figure out shoes and accessories and put my options for each outfit on the same line.

Toiletries are the normal things that I use every day. I do bring my own shampoo, conditioner, etc.

As far as other stuff, I just think through what I will use and why. I have no desire to buy expensive nail clippers on the ship again.

Just pack as you would for a week at a hotel. There are a zillion packing lists on this site, but a lot of them include so many things that you probably won't need.

A lot depends on how often you like to change, if you're a slave to fashion (as I tend to be), if you're doing formal or not, etc.. Just spend a few minutes thinking about what you'll be doing, how often you want to wear items, and if you'll send clothes out to be cleaned. Throw in your passport, money, prescription meds, camera, sunscreen & sunglasses & you'll be set!

^

^

This. I never understand why someone thinks they need a packing list for a cruise, it's just common sense.I realize they are just suggestions but some of the things on those mega packing lists are insane. The only extra things I may have taken were clips to tame a wild shower curtain and a multi plug adapter.

As far as other stuff, I just think through what I will use and why. I have no desire to buy expensive nail clippers on the ship again.

I paid only $1.79 a couple of weeks ago.;):)

What to pack:

(7 day cruise)

Carry-on bag(beach bag):

 Champagne/wine

 Soda

 Water/bottle

 jewelry

 sunglasses

 reading glasses

 camera/charger

 opera glasses

 cell phone/charger

 pen/highlighter

 passport

 travel docs

 wallet:

 credit card

 ID

 Cash/small bills

 health insurance card

 ATM card

 Ricola

 Mints/gum

 umbrella

 suntan lotion

 comb

 hat/cap

 magazines/books

 sailaway party stuff

 travel pillow

 e-reader

 laundry bags

 flashlight

 towel clips

cosmetic case:

 body lotion

 makeup remover

 shower cap

 shampoo

 conditioner

 fem hygeine

 nail clipper

 nail file

 lint remover

 Woolite

 Band-Aids

 Q-tips

 Razor M//F

 make-up

 lipstick/liner

 lip conditioner

 toothbrush

 toothpaste

 mouthwash

 deodorant M/F

 eye cream

 moisturizer

 acne cream

 facial cleanser

 Tide stain pen

 Drink mix singles

 brush

 ponytail/headband/barrettes/butterfly clip

 sewing kit/safety pins

 clear/color nail polish

 prescription medicines

 vitamins/supps

 OTC medicines:

Meclazine, tylenol, Benadryl, Imodiam, anti-gas, antacid

 hair dryer

 curl iron

 flat iron

Big luggage:

 2 formal evening

 5 casual evening

 7 days

 Cardigan/shrug/wrap

 loungewear

 robe

 neutral bra

 black bra

 strapless bras

 underwear

 socks

 bathing suits

 cover-ups

 sneakers

 formal/dance shoes

 flats

 dinner slides

 pool slides

 evening bag

 light-weight day purse

 overnight bag

 corkscrew

 bottle opener

^

^

This. I never understand why someone thinks they need a packing list for a cruise, it's just common sense.I realize they are just suggestions but some of the things on those mega packing lists are insane. The only extra things I may have taken were clips to tame a wild shower curtain and a multi plug adapter.

I paid only $1.79 a couple of weeks ago.;):)

That's a bargain for ship stores! I know mine were more than that.

If I wrote down everything in my toiletries bag, it would probably look a lot like that list! But I always keep it packed and ready to go, so I don't have to write that down, thank goodness. (We travel a fair amount so it saves me time to just refill everything when I get home and put the stuff away.)

I also pack my make-up as I put it on the day before we leave. That way I don't forget anything essential.

I arrange my clothing by outfit. I empty a spot in my closet a few weeks before and then start gathering. Then I make a day-by-day list.

If I don't use a list, I'll forget something--like underwear. (No kidding! Thankfully it was to visit family and not a cruise.)

My husband forgot a sweater on one cruise. He usually wears a sweater on our flight, but it was insanely hot when we left, so he forgot one. He froze on the airplane! But then instead of having a nice dinner and relaxing when we got to Miami, we had to get transportation and find a mall. (That was quite the experience, though, and I'm glad we did it. The mall is alive and well in Miami, unlike in our flyover state. It was quite a party!)

Then there's the time we didn't pack sunscreen or aloe and both got sunburned and had to pay the ship's armed-robbery prices for those things.

So now we both use lists. I tweak the list depending on where we're going. We even have a camping list, a 4Wheeling list, a boating list, a Disneyland list, etc. Because they all require different things.

Robin

I used the lists above and will use some of the advice posted that will apply to us! Thanks so much. This seems like an awful lot to pack. I am planning to take one medium sized suitcase, for myself....less for me to carry! .....Thanks everyone!

I used the lists above and will use some of the advice posted that will apply to us! Thanks so much. This seems like an awful lot to pack. I am planning to take one medium sized suitcase, for myself....less for me to carry! .....Thanks everyone!

Have a GREAT cruise.:)

LOL....if I can get all of mine into a carry on, you should have no issue with a medium sized suitcase. Watch this video...this works so well! :)

Archived