CROWN PRINCESS remembered in photos and video

Bimmer09

Norris -- Outstanding review so far!! (esp considering you took this cruise so long ago, you tell it like it was just yesterday) I have a small family group, including one first-timer, on the Crown in January. I am thoroughly enjoying your review in anticipation of our own! When it's all finished, I'll be passing a link along to others in my group so they can enjoy it too. Thanks so much for all of your time and effort, it really IS appreciated.

If I may -- 2 questions:

You mention paying $200+ for loungers in the Sanctuary. In all that I have read so far, I've not seen this mentioned before. I had no idea there was a fee to use this area, it's a new feature since my last PCL sailing (12 yrs ago!). Am I understanding correctly.... ? (Edited: I did manage to find this info on the PCL website. Kind of hidden.... )

I noticed netting over the main pool in your early morning shots. Used to be that PCL pools were open 24hrs. Is this not the case any more, or maybe they are just netted during rough conditions?

Edited by Ren1216

Norris -- Outstanding review so far!! (esp considering you took this cruise so long ago, you tell it like it was just yesterday) I have a small family group, including one first-timer, on the Crown in January. I am thoroughly enjoying your review in anticipation of our own! When it's all finished, I'll be passing a link along to others in my group so they can enjoy it too. Thanks so much for all of your time and effort, it really IS appreciated.

If I may -- 2 questions:

You mention paying $200+ for loungers in the Sanctuary. In all that I have read so far, I've not seen this mentioned before. I had no idea there was a fee to use this area, it's a new feature since my last PCL sailing (12 yrs ago!). Am I understanding correctly.... ? (Edited: I did manage to find this info on the PCL website. Kind of hidden.... )

I noticed netting over the main pool in your early morning shots. Used to be that PCL pools were open 24hrs. Is this not the case any more, or maybe they are just netted during rough conditions?

Question 1: The sanctuary is a pay to stay area for adults. Most ships charge $15 for 1/2 day or $20 for a full. You can also rent for the full cruise and that is prorated to how many days your cruise is going to be.

Question 2: The pools are netted when ever they do not want people in the water. I have seen them covered when having deck parties and in rough seas. So, when they think their passengers should not be in them, they net them.

It snowed here this evening. Gotta love lake effect! Watching the ships go out to sea in warm water really helped get through the first snows!

RNGALNG,

While we currently live in the South, hubby and I are from Bay Village - we grew up on Lake Erie (he live a block off the lake, me about 5 or 6 blocks). I miss Cleveland very much, but NOT the October snows!

I remember Trick or Treating with my snow suit and boots under my costume!

All the more reason to cruise! :)

RNGALNG,

While we currently live in the South, hubby and I are from Bay Village - we grew up on Lake Erie (he live a block off the lake, me about 5 or 6 blocks). I miss Cleveland very much, but NOT the October snows!

I remember Trick or Treating with my snow suit and boots under my costume!

All the more reason to cruise! :)

You sure got your share of snow, living there in Bay Village! The east side of Cleveland got hit the other night. About 12 schools were called due to the snow or downed trees and lines.

We cruise every winter now! It is the only way to get through them. We are close to retirement so hopefully we will get to do some longer ones when it happens!

Nice to meet another couple from the area! I also remember wearing coats on top of costumes. I grew up in California and my mom thought the temps there were cold as well! 60's cold? Hah!

RNGALNG -- thanks for that info! Much appreciated.

Norris, I thought of another question.... do you happen to remember on which side you docked in Curacao and Aruba?

In both ports the ship docked and disembarked passengers on the Port side.

She was the only cruise ship in both ports on that itinerary. We left Curacao at 10pm-it got dark shortly after 6 so we had the pleasure of sitting outdoors by the river (estuary) drinking cheap beer (Heineken $2 a bottle) and looking at the Crown in the distance all lit up. There will be photos when the time comes in the review, and video of the famous swing bridge opening to let ships pass through.

Norris

The Sanctuary questions were well answered. I know that if there was no charge it would no longer be the Sanctuary but just another place where lounger hogs and loud people yakking on cell phones would show up. Peace and quiet is worth paying for. On ships which had the structure in place above the bridge prior to the Sanctuary there was a tennis court where a max of 4 people could enjoy the space...so it was a welcome design change if you ask me.

We have booked it for every cruise-for the week which works out to $15 pp per day or $210 total for the week. We pick our loungers and no one else gets to hog them. They are thick and nap-inducing. You can't hear MUTS from up there but you can hear some of the bands that play by the other pool where the Tradewinds bar/Neptune Grill and Pizza place is if the wind is in the right direction.

Stewards are itching to get you something-anything- to make their shift pass quicker. You have the use of the Lotus pool just below which is small and not busy. It has hot tubs too. Carol spends hours there reading and napping but I have to go smoke and drink beer at Tradewinds and talk to strangers. I've had a few naps there and woke just in time for afternoon tea which they bring to your lounger. I am sure if I asked they would put the cream and strawberry jam on the scones and feed them to me.

In Alaska you are probably better off just booking for the half-day due to weather and excursions.

Although I am often one of the first people on the ship and one of the fastest at getting to the Sanctuary it is never full, even in the Caribbean. I just like to pick a good lounger that is out of the sun and not too windy. The wind can howl through there as it has a canvas roof with slits in it and gaps between the windows and the canvas. There are free snacks and refreshing drinks too and the stewards will go get you a beer (no fee) or something to eat from anywhere on the ship ($3 fee).

I'm a fan.

Norris

You make some very good points, actually. It really might be nice to have my own spot without having to fight the masses. I'm wondering how it works.... do you swipe your card to get in, is there a sticker on your card, or what? I ask because this is a new concept to us and I have other people in my group that I'll need to explain it to. Seems I saw loungers AND upright chairs in photos somewhere... are passengers who don't pay for a lounger allowed in at all to use the uprights? Or is it a pay-to-enter-period kind of thing? If that's the issue, I'll need to convince my whole group to go for it, as it wont be any fun to separate with some of us able to use the Sanctuary while others can't.

Thanks again for your time, apologies for the interruption to your flow. ;)

Edited by Ren1216

You make some very good points, actually. It really might be nice to have my own spot without having to fight the masses. I'm wondering how it works.... do you swipe your card to get in, is there a sticker on your card, or what? I ask because this is a new concept to us and I have other people in my group that I'll need to explain it to. Seems I saw loungers AND upright chairs in photos somewhere... are passengers who don't pay for a lounger allowed in at all to use the uprights? Or is it a pay-to-enter-period kind of thing? If that's the issue, I'll need to convince my whole group to go for it, as it wont be any fun to separate with some of us able to use the Sanctuary while others can't.

Thanks again for your time, apologies for the interruption to your flow. ;)

The first time you go you show your card and sign a check-in list. Then you go with the steward and pick out the number of loungers you have paid for-the steward will check his/her list to make sure that no-one has already booked those. You are done. There's usually two or three stewards there. There is a Sanctuary gate but it is not secure. They will recognise you. We usually just walk on in and exchange smiles with them and take our places. You have your card with you anyway in case someone doesn't recognise you and asks to see it. When you book for the week they soon get to know you. It's civilized and lives up to it's name in my opinion. They will bring you a menu of free snacks and drinks. They will bring you an i-Pod if you need to listen to music and don't have your own. There are a couple of private massage tents where Lotus spa ladies can give massages, including couples massages.

A week's subscription allows you to come and go as you please during the day.

If you find that your lounger choice could have been better you can ask them to check whether one that takes your fancy is free and then switch.

It's pay-to-enter period. You can choose uprights with tables if you wish. The loungers each have a small table for your drinks, Kindles, sunscreen etc

Hope this helps!

Norris

This is the closest we got to enjoying a day at Princess Cays..watching the port-side tenders swing around the stern of the Crown.

IMG_1931.JPG

One of them malfunctioned and had to be towed away for inspection. They were empty at this point as they would pick up passengers on the starboard side.

IMG_1932.JPG

We weren't going ashore as we liked the idea of a quieter ship. We would go ashore a year later via the Ruby Princess and semi-enjoyed it. The reports of stony beaches when you go to swim was off-putting and the crowds likewise.

We met at Sabatini's at 9 am for our first suites-only breakfast. They have a beautiful quiet room or you can elect to eat at the few Sabatini tables just outside in the open air, overlooking the aft pool. We asked for a window table for two, with one of the fountains just outside the window. There will be Sabatini's video as the week progresses. Silvio the host asked for our names and room number and consulted his list. We were in.

Service was provided by a 30-year Princess veteran called Pio, from Italy, just a delightful man, a treasure. Cappucinos and espressos, plus iced water and fresh orange juice came to the table and I also had a Mimosa so the table was soon littered with glasses of deliciousness.Another waiter brings a selection of breads and that's followed by pastries. I would usually have an apple turnover or chocolate croissant. You can order food from any open kitchen on the ship but I stuck with the Sabatini offerings for now.

IMG_1934.JPG

This-yogurt granola parfait became my starter each morning. Carol usually started with a fruit plate

IMG_1933.JPG

My entree was a simple one...

IMG_1935.JPG

Belgian waffles for Carol

IMG_1936.JPG

Sabatini's breakfast on port days ends at 9.30 and sea days 10.30.

A good meal in a calm, relaxing room with just a little Italian music in the background and very few diners was a great entree to the day of relaxing ahead.

From there we walked forward to the Sanctuary and the rigorous security screening-you smile at the steward and if they recognize you they smile back and you are in- was soon over.

IMG_1937.JPG

We had the two loungers closest to the camera. Port side, last two before the full sun. There was a canvas roof over our head. If the wind picks up they bring you blankets. Nap-city!

IMG_1938.JPG

If you fancy a swim (and Carol did each day) you pick up a towel and walk down a small flight of stairs to the Lotus Pool.

Even though you probably will get to it in your review, I'll ask now while I think of it and because our cruise is soon, ... I recall reading that since you arrive in Curacao in the afternoon, Princess has a system for getting off the ship in Curacao. Can you describe if for me?:)

So we are up on deck, under the letter P of the word Princess as the ship leaves the quay and follows the Grand Princess out of the channel. Windy up there which causes havoc on the tiny camcorder microphone. When we returned home a week or so later we saw that the good men of the PE webcam zoomed in as requested and captured our waving for posterity.

Once out of the sheltered channel it was time to head to the wind-free balcony and celebrate with champagne and canapés, fetched by our steward Christopher from the Philipines.

Sail away video...

Is it allowed to smoke on the aft balconies?

As most of the passengers were off the ship in Princess Cays there was no line at the Trident Grill so I snagged some knackwurst with sauerkraut and delicious crispy fries. For any British readers following along there was Malt vinegar (Heinz) and HP sauce which I dip my fries in.

A raised eyebrow brought a bar waiter over to my seat at Tradewinds bar and a Beck's beer was poured. Bliss in the sun.

Carol is always amused when as we walk through the ship certain bar waiters will greet me by name (usually Mr Norris).I always tip them an extra dollar for prompt and cordial service. If they are witty and like a good laugh then they are a keeper and get my business. It brings the cost of a Becks onboard to $6.75 compared to the $9.99 six packs I would buy on land but I am at sea and on holiday and like to keep a good vibe going. I know how hard these people work for a living. I am maybe the least surly patron they will encounter during the week and perhaps the least demanding. A laugh and a smile and the day is good.

The day was frittered away eating, reading and sleeping in the Sanctuary.

I think there was even a nap on the balcony as the ship sailed away from Princess Cays that afternoon bound for Curacao. A sea day would follow and that would be the first of two formal nights. We hadn't brought formal wear so would dine in Sabatini's and the Crown Grill on those nights.

Tonight in the MDR (Michaelangelo room) would be Italian Night. There were no window two tops open when we rolled up to dine around 8pm so we took whatever two-top was available- in the middle of the room at the front, near the entrance. The waiter tried and succeeded in selling us some Limoncello. We got to keep the glasses it was served in and now after two more Princess Cruises have 6 of them as souvenirs.($4 a shot)

Carol's notes tell me I scoffed down another Fettucini Alfredo and then this-veal scallopini. My bottle of Pinot Grigio was found and brought to the table.

IMG_1942.JPG

Carol had shells in Marinara sauce again and finished with a cheese plate

IMG_1944.JPG

I rounded off a fine meal with my usual double espresso and Sambuca then we went to see comedian/magician Jeff Michaels in the Explorer's Lounge. Much laughter in the SRO crowd. After that drinks and canapés (delivered to the room each evening) on the balcony, watching the wake disppear into the darkness.

A sea day would be next....

Is it allowed to smoke on the aft balconies?

No longer- the last cruise it was allowed on sailed on January 14, 2012 which is the one we were on. Now I run down to the Promenade Deck starboard aft when necessary. I have E cigarettes for my next cruise if I don't have the strength to push the elevator button.

Norris

Do you know how you go about booking the sanctuary for just one or two days? Is that even possible?

You have to go each morning and line up (or not-you may be the only one)

The first staff arrive at 8 am I believe.

Norris

Even though you probably will get to it in your review, I'll ask now while I think of it and because our cruise is soon, ... I recall reading that since you arrive in Curacao in the afternoon, Princess has a system for getting off the ship in Curacao. Can you describe if for me?:)

Mafig- we had an excursion to join but others could just walk off the ship and through the security gates to go exploring. Tour leaders were on the dock holding up the tour number signs and we rallied behind them. When the group was complete we followed them through the gates to the waiting buses.

We had to show our ship cards to the security officer when coming back to the pier and again to the Ship's security.

Don't leave "home" without it!

Norris

I found some more photos of the tender operation at Princess Cays

aAWjtGIvYAXBCTqF-9HyJjxeBbQjVMZjIbekoYQvQmU=w276-h207-p-no

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

They run continuously until it's time to start the withdrawal of all passengers.

More tomorrow...

Mafig- we had an excursion to join but others could just walk off the ship and through the security gates to go exploring. Tour leaders were on the dock holding up the tour number signs and we rallied behind them. When the group was complete we followed them through the gates to the waiting buses.

We had to show our ship cards to the security officer when coming back to the pier and again to the Ship's security.

Don't leave "home" without it!

Norris

OK, that sounds like every other port. I had read "somewhere" where there was some sort of process in Curacao .... something like getting passes for times to cut down on lines and everyone wanting to get off the ship at the same time. Perhaps you weren't aware of this since you had an excursion?

Enjoying this review very much.:)

By the time I went to bed on the Sunday night after Princess Cays I had been on the Crown for 36 hours. My previous, and until the Crown, only, Princess experience was on the Coral in Alaska so now I began to compare the two.

There were some things I immediately preferred about the Crown and that hasn't changed with time. They are structural things-the aft cabins. None on the Coral. I am now a devout aft dweller. Amen.

The division between the two midship outdoor pools-on one side MUTS and the other the pool with the Tradewinds bar and bands playing opposite. Coral has the great indoor pool which is a boon in Alaska. Sanctuary forward above the bridge on the Crown, aft on the Coral and much more spacious and luxurious on the Crown. Aft pool for everyone off the buffet on the Crown, with it's own bar.

Sabatini's high up with lots more windows on the Crown. Fountains outside.

And Skywalkers which has become my favorite indoor watering-hole thanks to the evening cocktails and munchies from 5pm to 7pm.

The Coral is more spacious inside....1,000 less people on board. I met many crew members I still remember-on the Crown not so much. But with each cruise we are finding out what we like most and savor it. We don't have to see every show or ice-carving demonstration, every act in the Piazza, most of which I enjoy but just stumble upon. We just enjoy being on these Princess ships.

Striking up conversations with complete strangers is fun for me. I know I may never see them again but we share a moment of conversation and find some common ground. Interesting people take cruises on Princess.

Apart from the checklist I had upon boarding (UST, UBD, etc) my plans while at sea were to "mosey around", "chill", "relax" and just go with the flow.

I save the scurrying around for the excursions. Carol is the Patter-Queen and attends lectures, sings in choirs, plans her day more. We each let the other do what they please which is a good way to travel with someone, I think.

There's a lot of ground to cover in a "review" like this. I have only touched on the first 36 hours of a 7 day cruise and I started this last Monday. I know already that there are some people reading who haven't sailed Princess-I am not here to preach a gospel but just to show how my cruise turned out and if they like what they see and decide to book Princess or the Crown because of it then I am happy. I read CC before sailing on the Coral and found it invaluable and as we are part of a sailing community it would be gratifying to know that someone's holiday plans surpassed their expectations after being put on a path by something I wrote or showed in a photograph or video. There are so many choices out there now for the cruiser, so many itineraries and magnificent ships-I'll never sail on all of them, nor a meaningful fraction, but so far in 4 Princess cruises I have been delighted by my choices and spend months anticipating my next cruise. Someday I will sail on another line, that I know.

The pace will quicken as the ports come along- a deluge of photos and videos.

For now we are sailing the Caribbean, a sea I hadn't been on since 1990 on a Carnival vessel with no balconies (yikes) and no Specialty restaurants. No art auctions either.

Prior to that my last RCCL contract had me at sea for 240 days without a break on shore, apart from a week in Miami when I was put off the ship with pneumonia and had to attend a clinic for a few days (1986). So I was now back on that sea, where much of the time all you can see is water and an occasional ship on the horizon.

It was good to be back!

And even better on Princess.

Stay tuned...

Norris

in Chicago

The usual routine-up early, buffet breakfast, coffee and a cigarette aft, just above Outrigger bar, watching the wake and the slow coming alive of the other passengers many of whom bring their breakfast plates out to dine al fresco.

Carol was meeting me at the entrance to Sabatini's at 9. I had previously called the host Silvio but he was the man on the Coral. Pedro was the tall host on the Crown and a very nice fellow.

While I was waiting I took some photos in the Adagio bar which is next door to Sabs. Really nice room where they have a small stage for piano or jazz trio music in the evenings.

IMG_1946.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG

IMG_1948.JPG

For breakfast today I had the brioche French toast

IMG_1949.JPG

while Carol had the waffles again

IMG_1950.JPG

Then it was time to walk on the Promenade.

Edited by Bimmer09
change words

Although it gets very narrow towards the stern, the Promenade deck goes all the way around the ship. Yes there are some stairs involved to accomplish this but it allows walkers to rack up the miles if they wish with the sea view always there and the sea air invigorating their lungs. Carol likes to walk a mile while I lean over the rail and stare at the bow waves and wait for her to cross the finish line.

She met and walked with a nice young man from Illinois who was interested in joining the Pop Choir. They were having their first rehearsal today led by Lisa Ball the Cruise Director (he didn't show).

After the walk we were off to the Sanctuary as it was such a nice sunny day.

IMG_1951.JPG

Carol hit the Lotus pool and then settled down for a quick nap

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

One of the two tents where you can pay the Lotus spa ladies for a relaxing massage.

IMG_1953.JPG

Skywalkers, Champagne Waterfall, Sabatini's dinner. Followed by a deluge of photos and video of one of my favorite islands-Curacao. I was in Curacao and Aruba back in 1990 so these two I was keen to see again.

Meantime work keeps getting in my way and keeping me from the computer...

and before I finish this the Crown might be driven on to a beach in India for scrap...

More soon!

Norris