• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

DL flight reductions at MEM, effective Dec 3

FlyerTalker

Delta has announced flight reductions at MEM, effective December 3, 2013. From the current 64 flights per day, DL will now downsize to 40 departures. This is a cut of over a third and is part of the decline from the MEM de-hubbing, similar to the previous de-hubbing at CVG.

How is this cruise related? If you have a DL itinerary that operates through MEM, keep a close eye on your flights. DL has NOT yet announced the specific details of what routes will be affected, so who knows when the changes will hit the GDS systems. This may be an opportunity to get better flight arrangements or a time when any flights may be problematic. In any case, heads up!

Forewarned is forearmed.

Kandjrolls2,

I used to love connecting through Memphis, stopping for a little bar-b-que therapy, and a relatively short walk to connections, but as a southern flyer I am not finding those great Southwest fares or decent connections that you and others rave about. I'm not keen on connecting via Baltimore or Tampa if I am flying from Birmingham to Phoenix AND at a premium fare to boot.

I wish someone would please tell me what I am missing.

I am from the MEM area and they have already stopped the PHX - MEM non stops. I had to fly to ATL then back to MEM at the beginning of the month and MEM- ATL - PHX on the way home. No carrier flies the PHX - MEM nonstop. :(

It is very sad to see the decline of flights on Delta from Memphis. However the city of Memphis had a chance and blew it a few years ago - Delta told them this is what they would do and they are in fact slowly leaving. Should just rename the airport to FDX and be done with passenger travel from there.

I am from the MEM area and they have already stopped the PHX - MEM non stops. I had to fly to ATL then back to MEM at the beginning of the month and MEM- ATL - PHX on the way home. No carrier flies the PHX - MEM nonstop. :(

FedEx flies MEM-PHX nonstop ;)

You can get between those two cities more directly than via Atlanta. For example via Houston or Dallas. Just not on Delta...

FedEx flies MEM-PHX nonstop ;)

You can get between those two cities more directly than via Atlanta. For example via Houston or Dallas. Just not on Delta...

Most likely it was either due to the ticket being purchased before the flights were canceled or a frequent flyer hooked on status and miles. Flying via IAH or DFW for a DL flyer doesn't earn the holy grail of MQM :D

Kandjrolls2,

I used to love connecting through Memphis, stopping for a little bar-b-que therapy, and a relatively short walk to connections, but as a southern flyer I am not finding those great Southwest fares or decent connections that you and others rave about. I'm not keen on connecting via Baltimore or Tampa if I am flying from Birmingham to Phoenix AND at a premium fare to boot.

You're missing nothing. While I'm sure there are some city pairs out there for which WN generally has less expensive fares, they aren't the "be all, end all" that some think they are. They've done a good job perpetuating that belief though, and some still fall for it. As for the "decent" connections it offers, it largely depends on where you're coming from and where you're going, which is true with any airline.

Ain't that the truth. Delta is sometimes cheaper for me and the total flight time is always shorter.

Kandjrolls2,

Kandjrolls2,

It is the cult of Southwest. Many of them believe that WN always has the lowest price.....reality is quite different most times. Living in Houston I find UA has fares just as if not cheaper than Southwest. (plus I don't have to make a connection someplace). I just let them keep thinking that though...keeps them off UA and AA and more upgrade space for me.:D

Archived