4 Hours + to disembark in San Pedro

brianlojeck

Sequestration ended ages ago. Furloughs replaced sequestration, but those ended this month.

I've heard that it takes longer to debark a Princess ship. I'll be interested to see how it goes for us in January.

Yes, sequestration is still in effect. I know that only because my job 'interacts' with the Army here.

I see we are on the same trip in January.

I boarded the Golden on Friday for a weekend cruise and disembarked today, Monday. We were "late" boarding. Passengers were not allowed to begin embarkation until "almost" 12:30. I did ask the guest host in the priority lounge why there seemed to be a delay. He informed me (one to one) that there were two ships in port (Golden and Star), Immigrations and customs split the staff, they were also using this time as a training session. All I had to do was ask someone. I don't like constant PA announcement punctuating the excitement of a cruise.

I did not fault Princess for the delay (I understood why). San Pedro is an excellent port and most often everything is under control. There is always Princess staff walking around and they most often are willing to answer your questions.

My philosophy? From the time I am checked in, the cruise has begun. Yes, the excitement is building, but how bad can a few extra minutes wait be. This is my perspective for boarding.

On the other hand, I can understand the frustrations of trying to get off the ship when you have a flight to catch. But I still do not fault Princess for not getting the "word" out. They try to have a silent disembarkation. Today, they were running a few minutes late, but I would rather wait on the ship than in a long line at immigrations. I was also told by Princess staff members that only a limited amount of people are allowed in the queue at a time (per immigration policy). If fault is going to be assigned, it should be directed to the Federal government. Today was effortless, it went smoothly, and the agents (both Princess and immigration) were very pleasant.

I boarded the Golden on Friday for a weekend cruise and disembarked today, Monday. We were "late" boarding. Passengers were not allowed to begin embarkation until "almost" 12:30. I did ask the guest host in the priority lounge why there seemed to be a delay. He informed me (one to one) that there were two ships in port (Golden and Star), Immigrations and customs split the staff, they were also using this time as a training session. All I had to do was ask someone. I don't like constant PA announcement punctuating the excitement of a cruise.

I did not fault Princess for the delay (I understood why). San Pedro is an excellent port and most often everything is under control. There is always Princess staff walking around and they most often are willing to answer your questions.

My philosophy? From the time I am checked in, the cruise has begun. Yes, the excitement is building, but how bad can a few extra minutes wait be. This is my perspective for boarding.

On the other hand, I can understand the frustrations of trying to get off the ship when you have a flight to catch. But I still do not fault Princess for not getting the "word" out. They try to have a silent disembarkation. Today, they were running a few minutes late, but I would rather wait on the ship than in a long line at immigrations. I was also told by Princess staff members that only a limited amount of people are allowed in the queue at a time (per immigration policy). If fault is going to be assigned, it should be directed to the Federal government. Today was effortless, it went smoothly, and the agents (both Princess and immigration) were very pleasant.

Nice post but I am a little confused since today is Thursday.

:confused: ... :confused: ... :confused:

Nice post but I am a little confused since today is Thursday.

:confused: ... :confused: ... :confused:

Thank you Karen.

I don't know if I am coming or going. Guess that is a disadvantage for being retired. Yes, you are absolutely correct. I boarded on Monday and disembarked, today....Thursday!

Glad someone reads my posts.

Thank you Karen.

I don't know if I am coming or going. Guess that is a disadvantage for being retired. Yes, you are absolutely correct. I boarded on Monday and disembarked, today....Thursday!

Glad someone reads my posts.

I heard Monday was bad because the Star and the Golden were both in port.

12:30 embarkation isn't too bad.

How was disembarkation today?

We booked an 11:40 flight out of LAX because that has always been plenty of time in the past but after some of these disembarkation horror stories I'm a little concerned.

I was assigned a later walk off time. Changed it to 8:20. Was at the curb by 8:40. Nothing to declare nor luggage to claim. Saw lots of taxis but the shuttle vans were not at the curb yet.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived