Oh no, snow

puppycanducruise

Being from the southeast.....I love snow. This past April we were on a road trip to Illinois, then came back stopping in Virginia....we had a surprise snow storm....loved it, but of course traveling in it was scarey...saw lots of cars flipped over on the side of the road. Loved the snow and was so happy that we got to see it. I can understand if you live in an area that snows a lot, you are not that happy to see it. I lived in Illinois for about 6 months in the winter time, and nope....did not like getting out in it.

The weatherman is predicting a wetter and colder winter for us, so maybe we will get some snow...if we did, it would be the first time since 1989. We had almost 4 inches 2 days before Christmas and it stayed on the ground for Christmas day :D The best Christmas ever !

Yup, it snowed overnight up on top of the Niagara Escarpment. The roads were covered in salt this morning and I had the snow tires put on last Friday. Phew! It was a degree above zero this morning when I left for work at 4:30.

So glad we are now flying down to Tampa to catch up with the Ryndam over New Years! Then a quick jog across FLA to catch Disney Magic with no worries about the weather.

We are supposed to get "warmer" in November, so the weatherman predicts...we will see!;)

Snow!?!?! :eek: It hasn't snowed, and stuck on the ground to any real measurable amount, here in San Antonio since 1986 which is just peachy keen fine by me. When we moved here from the DC area one of my great joys and pleasures was to leave our snow shovels hanging on the garage wall. :D

Snow is nice.......Ice is not..........driving in either is a white-knuckle experience....especially here in Charlotte. Any frozen precipitation is grounds to stay home for the day.

Here in San Antonio they simply close the town during the rare ice storm. With all the overpasses and long sweeping elevated ramps here it becomes a bit scary when it ices. The city, county, and local state road and highway agencies have no snow plows or salt/chemical spreaders for the roads so they simply put barricades across the roads. Virtually no way to get around so they just shut the schools and government down. :D

Here in San Antonio they simply close the town during the rare ice storm. With all the overpasses and long sweeping elevated ramps here it becomes a bit scary when it ices. The city, county, and local state road and highway agencies have no snow plows or salt/chemical spreaders for the roads so they simply put barricades across the roads. Virtually no way to get around so they just shut the schools and government down. :D

Same here.....they just don't have the equipment to deal with a lot of snow or ice..........which is fine by me, I don't want to be out driving around in it anyway!:)

Snow is nice.......Ice is not..........driving in either is a white-knuckle experience....especially here in Charlotte. Any frozen precipitation is grounds to stay home for the day.

That means I would get 3 months off work!!! That isn't going to happen. What gets me is when I drive into work over 80 km and then people who live 20 km phone in and say the weather is too bad:rolleyes::eek:

I guess my wife and I are among the few that love snow. When she retires at the end of this school year..and our transatlantic cruise we will leave the DC/MD wimpy winter weather and move back to the winter wonderland that is Buffalo!!

Yes snow is beautiful IF you don't HAVE to go out in it! That is the big distinction. Knowing you can stay inside where it is safe and warm and watch it falling...nothing can be nicer - besides being on a cruise and hearing your home had a major dump of snow and you aren't travelling for 3 days....

When we lived in Virginia, it was the freezing rain and ice storms that I hated - we lived on a hill! I was happy to return to Victoria, where we very occasionally have a little snow, but it usually melts in a few days. We do have a snow shovel, but it doesn't get too much use. Now, our crazy daughter loves snow, and moved to Gander for it - huge amounts of it! We only visit her in the summer.:)

That means I would get 3 months off work!!! That isn't going to happen. What gets me is when I drive into work over 80 km and then people who live 20 km phone in and say the weather is too bad:rolleyes::eek:

That is the difference between Ontario and Charlotte.....you all have the equipment to deal with it up there, we don't. We might get one, two, or three days a year that have frozen precipitation. You get a lot of it up there.

And if I lived in your neck of the woods I would have a 4-wheel drive vehicle. That doesn't help on ice, but it sure helps on snow.

That is the difference between Ontario and Charlotte.....you all have the equipment to deal with it up there, we don't. We might get one, two, or three days a year that have frozen precipitation. You get a lot of it up there.

And if I lived in your neck of the woods I would have a 4-wheel drive vehicle. That doesn't help on ice, but it sure helps on snow.

So right you are! Montreal does snow removal much better than Toronto. The small town I live in keeps the roads salted pretty much but that kills the grass. So we always have something to complain about.

4-wheel drive is essential for anyone like me who drives 2.5 hours a day all year. Key is you still have to drive...sometimes I wonder if people think the bigger the vehicle the more it comes with auto pilot;). I usually pass them when they are "off roading" in a ditch....

Just as I pushed "submit reply" my neighbour in the next cubicle told me to look out the window.....it was snowing hard. It lasted only 5 minutes but long enough to know that it isn't summer anymore!!

How long until my cruise??

Snow!?!?! :eek: It hasn't snowed, and stuck on the ground to any real measurable amount, here in San Antonio since 1986 which is just peachy keen fine by me. When we moved here from the DC area one of my great joys and pleasures was to leave our snow shovels hanging on the garage wall. :D

Amen!

That means I would get 3 months off work!!!

Unfortunately, around here, they sometimes close the roads. No school, no plows no anything. A few times the people who work at the power plant can't get home, and replacement crews can't get in. They've had to take food in by snowmobile. It doesn't happen very often, thank goodness.

Archived