• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Noumea Must dos?

TheDunphys

It all depends on how much time do you have in Noumea. If your on a cruise ship, keep a few XPF's handy, to utilise the Hop On, Hop Off Buses, which have a set destination/route, which takes in most places that tourist wish to visit, and it works out around $10 AUD per person, or 1,000 XPF's per person.

You pay for the "one" ticket for the day, then off you go,visiting the sights listed (check out their website), after visit a certain attraction, wait until the bus comes along, show your ticket, and away you go again to the next attractions, and so on.

So easy, and so much fun. If the Hop On, Hop Off, is not to your satisfaction, opt for a taxi down to Anse Vate Beach or Baie de Citrons (Lemon Bay) for a nice swim, then a coffee in a local cafe afterwards, then make your way back to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

The closest pickup point for the HOHO bus is at the city museum next to the main town park, Coconut Square. It's about 4 blocks from the cruise terminal.

The problem I found with the HOHO bus is that it only does a loop every hour or so, so this potentially means a long wait at pick up points and limits how many stops you can actually do in a day. But it is a good way of doing an orientation loop.

As an alternative, there are lots of tours on sale at the cruise terminal, and at much cheaper prices than the ship tours. We have previously taken both a 1 hour and a 2 hour bus tour, in preference to the HOHO, and both were good in terms of hitting the main tourist hotspots.

Cheers

Bob

The closest pickup point for the HOHO bus is at the city museum next to the main town park, Coconut Square. It's about 4 blocks from the cruise terminal.

The problem I found with the HOHO bus is that it only does a loop every hour or so, so this potentially means a long wait at pick up points and limits how many stops you can actually do in a day. But it is a good way of doing an orientation loop.

As an alternative, there are lots of tours on sale at the cruise terminal, and at much cheaper prices than the ship tours. We have previously taken both a 1 hour and a 2 hour bus tour, in preference to the HOHO, and both were good in terms of hitting the main tourist hotspots.

Cheers

Bob

Bob

Thanks for this great information. I'll be stopping at Noumea at the end of Feb. I was wanting to do this stop on my own and now you've given me some options.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Look up "Noumea Explorer" on the internet, and it will show a map & locations of where it stops. All cruise ships arrive at a working port in Noumea, and all passengers disembarking to look at Noumea have to be bused through the containers near the ship to a terminal building, where you will find heaps of companies offering all sorts of trips. We opted for the Noumea Explorer, reasonably priced, and it visits all the sights that most people want see, eg. The Cultural Centre, Coconut Square, Anse Vate Beach, Baie de Citrons (or Lemon Bay), etc, etc.

Most cruise ships don't seem to spend a lot of time in Noumea (ours was 5 or 6 hours) & because we have visited Noumea before, we took the Explorer bus down to Anse Vate Beach & Lemon Beach, for a swim, coffee & glass of wine in a beachside cafe, so chic, so french.