Gereinger is there a need for boat excursion

Yes - for Geiranger it will be the same - I were at the deck from 04am and enjoyed the sailing through the fjord

Here is what I saw from the cruise ship (link to short video from the sailing)

I did the hop-on hop off tour in Geiranger - another short video

Yes - for Geiranger it will be the same - I were at the deck from 04am and enjoyed the sailing through the fjord

Here is what I saw from the cruise ship (link to short video from the sailing)

I did the hop-on hop off tour in Geiranger - another short video

Thank you.

Was there another port where we should go on a boat tour? Thanks Karen

Which ports are you visiting? If Aurland fjord / Flåm is on you itinerary, a suggestion could be Nærøyfjord.

Missed you are on Legende in May - then Nærøyfjord is a good option from Flåm - do the railway in the morning and Nærøyfjord in the afternoon

The Nærøyfjord is perhaps the most spectacular arm of the Sognefjord, and the narrowest fjord in the world, at one point only 250 metres across, with mountains towering more than 1,700 metres above its tranquil waters.

Geiranger is the end of the fjord, so any boat trip will only cover the same water you've just sailed on. Though the local Hellesylt ferry (return trip) will give you a different sort of feel of sailing, so it wouldn't be a wasted trip.

Stavangar is the boat trip I'd repeat - Pulpit Rock.

Missed you are on Legende in May - then Nærøyfjord is a good option from Flåm - do the railway in the morning and Nærøyfjord in the afternoon

The Nærøyfjord is perhaps the most spectacular arm of the Sognefjord, and the narrowest fjord in the world, at one point only 250 metres across, with mountains towering more than 1,700 metres above its tranquil waters.

If the schedule only permits the Railway or the Boat in the Naeroyfjord which one?

Thanks Karen

I was recently on the Celebrity Eclipse early September to Norway. This was the main port I wanted to see, however I knew a lot of things would factor on the weather. If it was too cloudy then there was no point in going to the viewpoints, etc. I decided to just wing it when I got there.

Turns out it was a beautiful day and there were three other ships in port. I got off as soon as I could and made my way over to the Tourist Booth. There you can buy all sorts of tours for various times. It was very simple. I wanted to hike a lot, but I wanted a quick trip to the viewpoints. I choose a short bus tour to Flydalsjuvet and Eagle's Bend. Afterward I hiked all around the town and up a trail for a good ways.

In other words the weather will play a part. I did find it pretty easy to grab a tour right there if need be. It is such a beautiful port. Easily one of my all time favorites.

585_zps94a7d429.jpg

613_zps4bafcc31.jpg

I was recently on the Celebrity Eclipse early September to Norway. This was the main port I wanted to see, however I knew a lot of things would factor on the weather. If it was too cloudy then there was no point in going to the viewpoints, etc. I decided to just wing it when I got there.

Turns out it was a beautiful day and there were three other ships in port. I got off as soon as I could and made my way over to the Tourist Booth. There you can buy all sorts of tours for various times. It was very simple. I wanted to hike a lot, but I wanted a quick trip to the viewpoints. I choose a short bus tour to Flydalsjuvet and Eagle's Bend. Afterward I hiked all around the town and up a trail for a good ways.

In other words the weather will play a part. I did find it pretty easy to grab a tour right there if need be. It is such a beautiful port. Easily one of my all time favorites.

585_zps94a7d429.jpg

613_zps4bafcc31.jpg

Beautiful photos and very good advice. Where did you hike to?

Thanks Karen

Take the hop-on-hop off bus instead. You'll get great views of the fjord from two sites. Ask if you can disembark at the Fjord Center and walk downhill, stopping at the church, back to the port and town.

Fjord cruise is on a smaller ship but you'll see the same sights from the cruise ship.

Maybe I could do the hop on and pick up one of these hikes.

http://www.geirangerfjorden.net/efottur.htm nice hiking map also on this link.

Karen

• 4 weeks later...

I want to make certain I've read this correctly? People say there is a HOHO bus at Geiranger? That the Tourist Information office sells tour tickets?

For someone who is all into very early preparation and then active participation in our Roll Call, the fact that Geiranger Tourist Information is open May/September makes this rather difficult. So far only have positive/active response from Bergen and Oslo. Although the gigantic visit Norway website looks impressive, its maps are not very useful.

Absolutely useful to understand that Geiranger is located at the end of the fjord and therefore one will sail in and out of this tendered location (we will be there 7am/4pm). For us, this cruise will be after two very active weeks (tour or train most days) and I've promised this will be 12 restful, relaxing evenings! I also figure "getting off the ship as soon as possible" when we will be tendered (only port) makes speed problematic? I'll have the advantage of being able to email beginning of May to see if I can find out about options (excluding those that are physically challenging) and whether any of them can be reserved for our port day.

Has anyone visited the Norwegian Fjord Center, we apparently can reach it from more than one of our ports? Also, useful to prepare for the possibility of a rain/no rain itinerary?

DJ:)

Here's the link to the Geiranger HOHO bus - there is also a tour up Mount Dalsnibba available. Very similar to some ships excursions. Tickets at the tourist information, which is right next to the dock, or online.

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/HOP-ON-HOP-OFF-BUS

The Fjordcenter is just out of town - you pass it on the bus going up to Flydalsjuvet and Dalsnibba - see this map:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/upload/pdf/Geiranger%20Town%20Map.pdf