Oasis of the Seas Photo Review ~ October 12, 2013

Cupcrazy

Hey Nathaniel, been looking forward to your review. The Seinfeld reference made me laugh. Glad to hear you liked Dave Chapman. I've heard he will be my CD when I go on Navigator in February. Loving the review and pics.

Thanks Tyler, I guess I don't have to post this on your FB wall now that you found it on your own. Everything in life relates to Seinfeld. My brother gets annoyed sometimes as he never watched the show. Dave was very good, you will enjoy him.

:D took our first Princess cruise on the Ruby in Feb and relied heavily on your thorough review of that ship!!..this will be our first Oasis cruise in Nov and I know your review will be very helpful..keep it coming!!:cool::cool:

Thanks Fred! You're going to love Oasis.

Nate I'm going to make the push for 11/09. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted, miss ya, kcco.

Do it!!!

we are leaving for the airport in 8 hours and so glad I got to read your great review. Thanks.

Have a great trip!

Great review Nate!! Wish I was still sailing on her!!!! So much fun!

Thanks Anna! Had a blast with you guys

Great Start!!! Love how detailed you started the review! I am leaving next week on Oasis 11/2 and this is going to hold me over! Looking forward to reading the whole thing.

Michael

Have a great trip!

Thanks for sharing w/ us! I don't leave until May, but like others say this will hold us over until our cruise - can't wait for the pictures, even though we've seen them thousands of times, it doesn't get old:D

That's exactly what I did. We booked 13 months in advance so I had to read reviews & do research to tide me over.

This is great a week later and I'm still having fun looking at all the pics thanks Nate for the review. Can't wait to sail again

We had a great time!

Hello fellow Canuck.

I think I have watched that video at least 50 times. I think I can narrate it. Once we sailed on Oasis we never went back. We have fallen in love with RC.

Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Andrew

I think I'm the same way with that video. I can probably narrate it too. I don't know how I can do any other ship now besides the Oasis class.

Great start on the review! Our Oasis cruise is still a year and a half away so this will help get us through.

I posted a link to your review on our Roll Call already, so more followers are coming! So nice to see an Oasis review. It seems that most of them lately have been on the Allure.

Thanks Ginny! I have noticed a lot more on Allure lately too.

We flew over this town in Florida that looked pretty cool. I can't figure out where exactly it is.

IMG_0550_zps7b99d6e2.jpg

It's called Rotonda West. Along the West coast of Florida about 25 miles North Northwest of Fort Myers.

Edited by Mango Mike

We flew over this town in Florida that looked pretty cool. I can't figure out where exactly it is.

IMG_0550_zps7b99d6e2.jpg

It's called Rotonda West. Along the West coast of Florida about 25 miles North Northwest of Fort Myers.

Wondering how you know that as Rotonda is very close to where I live. When you get in there good luck getting out. I have gone round and round looking for that one road that will lead me back out. Lovely place to live however. It is actually in Englewood which is close to Port Charlotte. Picky aren't I?;)

I actually looked on Google Maps around Fort Myers and couldn't find it. When I typed in Rotonda West it came right up. Thanks!

Dinner time, then I'll get on with posting

In the upgraded Suburban was this massive GPS unit. It worked and was free, so who's complaining?

IMG_0615_zps6044c765.jpg

At 3:30 we arrived at our hotel - Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

IMG_0573_zps5c656e22.jpg

Address: 1851 SE 10th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316, United States

It's located right off I-95 and within 10 minutes of both the Ft. Lauderdale airport and Port Everglades

HoteltoPort_zpsf5e2fa49.jpg

The suites were big with either a king or 2 queen beds. There was a nice size tv which got a ton of channels including (from what I can remember) the local networks, TBS, TNT, USA, ESPN, ESPN2, AXS, CNN. There was a couch in a sitting area and a desk. There was also a decent size fridge.

IMG_0566_zps6114d419.jpg

IMG_0567_zps81f0a057.jpg

IMG_0568_zps9d69294a.jpg

IMG_0604_zps21ededa1.jpg

The Hyatt House across the parking lot

IMG_0572_zpsde7ec6cc.jpg

Free breakfast. On top of what's on my plate they also had waffles, bagels & yogurt.

IMG_0601_zps49fbfd57.jpg

They brew Starbucks at the fully stocked bar. They also have a cold case where you can grab a sandwich ($) anytime of the day

IMG_0600_zps6d208837.jpg

Edited by Cupcrazy

This guy had to be hot in the 87° weather

IMG_0574_zps84fa66c9.jpg

We wanted to go to Walmart to pick up a few things and the GPS told us the closest one was in Hallandale. So we took a drive.

IMG_0575_zps8d4af8a6.jpg

Just in case anyone was looking to purchase an entire city block...

IMG_0577_zps6da239ee.jpg

Across from our hotel is a little shopping plaza. There is a store that has some great signage. Last year we saw this sign...

77145_10150095449721354_7774984_n.jpg

This year they had this sign in the window...

1377404_10151981421846354_37807651_n.jpg

Aaron, Dave & I had tickets to the Florida Panthers home opener at BB&T Center vs Pittsburgh Penguins. We were 11th row right on the blue line. The Panthers won 6-3

1394779_10151961309156354_1691986040_n.jpg

Opening face-off

IMG_0584_zps163f9cdc.jpg

It's too bad there are so many empty seats in Florida when it's so difficult to get seats in Toronto

IMG_0585_zpsb2defe47.jpg

IMG_0586_zps3ff86e7b.jpg

IMG_0588_zps5902d251.jpg

IMG_0595_zps3ed9599a.jpg

This girl was asked to name the song that was played and had no clue. The look on her face was classic

We originally wanted to get to the terminal around 11am, but that didn't happen because the girls wanted to do some shopping and it took longer than expected. We dropped off the rental cars at Hertz's Port Everglades location which is inside the Crowne Plaza just outside the port on SE 24th street. From there they took us in a shuttle van to terminal 18. We got to the terminal at 12:30. Check in was a breeze and before we knew it, we were on the ship.

IMG_0611_zps1aa163ee.jpg

IMG_0616_zpse9b5a847.jpg

IMG_0617_zps41a282ec.jpg

IMG_0619_zpsd212beea.jpg

IMG_0620_zps2ef5a813.jpg

IMG_0621_zpsebc03c20.jpg

IMG_0623_zps355b817f.jpg

Almost there!!!

IMG_0625_zpsb5abc8cb.jpg

When we got on board we walked around the promenade and I think we all said "holy ship". Within the first 30 seconds of being on board, you can just tell how amazing it is. We made our way up to our rooms to drop off our carry-on bags.

IMG_0763_zps6edffbc3.jpg

If you get confused on the ship and aren't sure which way is forward and which is aft (the back) just look at the signage. The room numbers on every door all have a little arrow that point towards the front of the ship. That should help you if you know where you're going is closer to the front or rear elevators.

IMG_0733_zpsd3f59972.jpg

When we got to our room we met Keston, our steward for the week. He is from Trinidad and spoke great English. Our room was made up as a king bed, but he quickly changed that when we left to go exploring. Unlike other ships that give you ice in your room every night we had to ask for it. I asked the one time when we got to the room and Keston had ice there every night during turn-down.

IMG_0636_zps217b64b3.jpg

IMG_0646_zpsa4723e62.jpg

Edited by Cupcrazy

With Jodi's birthday taking place while we were on the ship Aaron & Allison surprised her with decorations in her room.

IMG_0647_zps53650269.jpg

IMG_0648_zps867f2a77.jpg

We then made our way up to the Windjammer on deck 16 aft for lunch

IMG_0650_zpsae095e60.jpg

Country Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Bow-Tie Pasta & I forget what kind of fish

IMG_0651_zpsf4bcf44e.jpg

Everywhere you go the first day they are trying to sell you the unlimited pop package (soda if you're American). I said to myself I wasn't going to buy it, but later in the day I was really thirsty so I gave in. The package is $6.50 per day plus an automatic 15% gratuity for a total of $52.33.

IMG_0653_zpsbf75b34f.jpg

Edited by Cupcrazy

Thanks for the fab pictures. We're on the ship in 2 weeks+1. We will take a taxi to the port. Port 18? Then what? We will print the tags off the computer when I pre-register tomorrow online. Who do I give the luggage to? Then the picture shows all the different decks. Do you line up for your deck only? If we board by noon, can we just go to our room and drop off the carrying bags? Will the room be locked and the items safe or are all the room door opened until it is time to get into the room? When does the luggage arrive? Thanks so much.

Toronto gal living in the midwest.

Thanks for the fab pictures. We're on the ship in 2 weeks+1. We will take a taxi to the port. Port 18? Then what? We will print the tags off the computer when I pre-register tomorrow online. Who do I give the luggage to? Then the picture shows all the different decks. Do you line up for your deck only? If we board by noon, can we just go to our room and drop off the carrying bags? Will the room be locked and the items safe or are all the room door opened until it is time to get into the room? When does the luggage arrive? Thanks so much.

Toronto gal living in the midwest.

Have your taxi take you to terminal 18. Oasis & Allure only dock there and there is signage when entering the port that will tell you what ship is at what terminal. Print out your luggage tags ahead of time and attach them to your suitcases. When you get to the terminal you can drop your bags (with tags) off with the porters. They will make sure your luggage get on board. A little tip is nice for these guys, $1 or $2 per bag. When you get in the terminal they have it set up to lineup by deck. They have it down to a science.

Rooms are generally not accessible until 1pm but there are a lot of times when your room might be ready earlier than that. If the room is ready the door will be closed and you can go in and leave your bags there with no worries. You'll usually meet your room steward around that time too. Your luggage can take a little while to arrive at your room so you might want to wear or pack your bathing suit in your carry-on.

Have a great trip!

Hey Nate, I've been on lady o 3x now. You couldn't have told me about the arrows on the room at the beginning of our cruise. Never knew it. Great info thx.

HAHAHA!!! I didn't know about that until I got on. Now you know for the Allure.

On Princess ships they have different colour carpet on the port & starboard sides so if you forget which way to turn when getting off the elevator all you have to do is look for either the blue or pink accented carpet. I was looking for something like that on Oasis but didn't find anything.

Hey Nate, I've been on lady o 3x now. You couldn't have told me about the arrows on the room at the beginning of our cruise. Never knew it. Great info thx.

Kenny, I was thinking the same thing. Been on Allure twice and now Oasis...never noticed the arrows before. It really would have come in handy!!! :)