Oasis of the Seas Photo Review ~ October 12, 2013

Cupcrazy

Freestyle Coke machine. 180 different choices of drinks owned by Coca Cola. To use these machines you need to buy the pop/soda package and can only use the special cup they give you. It has a little chip in the bottom that knows it's your cup.

IMG_0780_zps831505a0.jpg

Challenger's Arcade Deck 15 aft, starboard.

IMG_0781_zps603f32ba.jpg

IMG_0782_zps155aa14d.jpg

At approx midnight, while walking around, I met up with Allison, Jodi, Geri & Felicia. We decided to go to Johnny Rockets. The price was $4.95 for all you can eat. Shakes were extra. We didn't have any shakes, but later in the week Dave got one and said it was $5. The waiter brought us fries, regular & cheese w/ bacon, and onion rings. I ordered the smoke house burger and it was great! Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of it. Jodi got the Oreo fudge sundae for dessert. Picture to follow... The restaurant closed at 1am.

Johnny Rockets lunch / dinner menu

IMG_0786_zpsf43cb16c.jpg

IMG_0787_zps8d06794a.jpg

IMG_0788_zpsc792988a.jpg

Oreo Fudge Sundae

IMG_0789_zps159e6c92.jpg

The elevators are great for people who easily get lost or who don't know their way around. There are little labels beside the buttons to let you know where different neighbourhoods are

IMG_0783_zpsbb98c01b.jpg

Also, on top of the doors there is the same signage. Except you can't press those.

IMG_0785_zpsf1066c1a.jpg

On the way back to my cabin I noticed the interactive touch screen by the elevator wasn't working.

IMG_0790_zpsebb1d1ef.jpg

Wow, I can't believe you take the time to do all of this and we soooooooo much appreciate it. I look forward daily to seeing new shots.

Same question as the person before me....beach on Labadee. suggestion? have 7/9 YO with me and it is our first time. thanks.

Do you have a recommendation on what speciality restaurant to take children to? Ours will be 5 and 13 when we cruise. Will eat in the MDR most nights but DW and I will eat at one on one night and want to take kids to another on a 2nd night. Great review by the way. We may stay at Hyatt Place with your recommendation.

Edited by Sky616

Nathaniel

Great review. We are going in three weeks. You mention a great beach in Labadee next to the private beach. Which one is private? Does this great beach have a name?

Thank you

Labadee is an area on the tip of Hati that is exclusive to Royal Carribean. Similar to Coco Cay, or Princess Cays, or any of the other cruiseline private day beaches. So it's really all private. I think what Nate is saying is he didn't go and explore all the other beach areas. Some are rocky in which you could snorkle. Some have soft sand. All of which are found simply by walking around the complex. You can find pictures by doing a search here or on Tripadvisor. Nate provided a link of the map at the begining of the thread.

I can say that Labadee has really evolved over the years. I remember back in the late 80's where there was nothing much except a big tent area with people selling their wares. The only excursion back then was snorkling. I was also in "awe" when we were on one of the first ships that docked at the pier when they opened it. Sure beats tendering.

If it helps, we did Labadee in July and we found the best beach to be Columbus Cove. It's not the closest beach to the pier but it definitely is the best for swimming and kids. We did a jet ski excursion first so it was pretty packed when we got there midday but its sandy, gently sloped from what I could tell and there were chairs nearby. We didn't stay long but it looked like the best water-fun beach.

Nathaniel

Great review. We are going in three weeks. You mention a great beach in Labadee next to the private beach. Which one is private? Does this great beach have a name?

Thank you

Wow, I can't believe you take the time to do all of this and we soooooooo much appreciate it. I look forward daily to seeing new shots.

Same question as the person before me....beach on Labadee. suggestion? have 7/9 YO with me and it is our first time. thanks.

Thanks guys! Below is a map of Labadee. Adrenaline Beach is the northern beach under the zip line. The small red circle is where we went in the water and all the way across had rocks.

The private beach, for upper tier Crown & Anchor members and over the water cabanas, is located at Barefoot Beach Club. The red oval to the right of that is where the girls went and said the water was beautiful & calm. Around that area there is a small aqua park with inflatables in the water for climbing and jumping off of. Kids may like that. I am unsure about Columbus Cove more to the right.

LabadeeMap_zps6360901b.jpg

LIB_2010_LABADEE_AQUA_PARK_344.jpg

Edited by Cupcrazy

Do you have a recommendation on what speciality restaurant to take children to? Ours will be 5 and 13 when we cruise. Will eat in the MDR most nights but DW and I will eat at one on one night and want to take kids to another on a 2nd night. Great review by the way. We may stay at Hyatt Place with your recommendation.

If you're taking the kids to 1 specialty restaurant I would go with Giovanni's. Kids like pasta and the way they serve it family style is fun and everyone gets to try a bit of everything. That would probably suit you guys best. The food was fantastic too.

I think your family will like the Hyatt Place. The rooms are definitely big enough for a family of 4. Check to see if the couch is a pull out. I think it is but never looked because we didn't need it. Also, look around for pricing as we were able to get a cheaper rate straight from the hotel because we found it cheaper online somewhere else and the hotel gave us an extra 20% off.

Great review, Nate! I will be following along since the Oasis/Allure are way up on our list of cruises we want to book.

We cruised on the Ruby Princess right after you reviewed her and found your review to be a great help. I'm sure this one will be, too. :D

Thanks! It's nice to know that putting the time in for these reviews really does help people. For me, I've used other people's reviews to help me know what to do or where to go.

With Jodi's birthday taking place while we were on the ship Aaron & Allison surprised her with decorations in her room.

IMG_0647_zps53650269.jpg

IMG_0648_zps867f2a77.jpg

We then made our way up to the Windjammer on deck 16 aft for lunch

IMG_0650_zpsae095e60.jpg

Country Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Bow-Tie Pasta & I forget what kind of fish

IMG_0651_zpsf4bcf44e.jpg

Everywhere you go the first day they are trying to sell you the unlimited pop package (soda if you're American). I said to myself I wasn't going to buy it, but later in the day I was really thirsty so I gave in. The package is $6.50 per day plus an automatic 15% gratuity for a total of $52.33.

IMG_0653_zpsbf75b34f.jpg

if you purchase the soda package online before your sail date the package cost 45.50

Hi, I was wondering if Ice Tea is part of the soda package? We will be on the Oasis sailing Feb. 22 and taking my 15 year old daughter. She is not a pop drinker too much but does like Ice Tea, wondering whether the package would be worth it for her? Thanks

Do they not charge the gratuity if you purchase it ahead of time? Because $45.50 works out to the same price of $6.50 per day.

You are absolutely correct they didn't add on the gratuity. So in the end it comes out to the same. I think I'll charge it onboard since I'll have a ton of onboard credit.

Edited by smeck

Hi, I was wondering if Ice Tea is part of the soda package? We will be on the Oasis sailing Feb. 22 and taking my 15 year old daughter. She is not a pop drinker too much but does like Ice Tea, wondering whether the package would be worth it for her? Thanks

I don't like Iced Tea so I didn't look for it on the Freestyle Machine. Here are 2 links to the Coca Cola Freestyle Machine choices. I don't see Iced Tea on there. Since this machine is on a ship there are possibly some choices that are different.

http://www.coca-colafreestyle.com/#!/100-brands/

http://www.worldofcoca-cola.com/coca-colafreestyle.htm

I don't like Iced Tea so I didn't look for it on the Freestyle Machine. Here are 2 links to the Coca Cola Freestyle Machine choices. I don't see Iced Tea on there. Since this machine is on a ship there are possibly some choices that are different.

Wow that is a lot of choices! I am sure she could fine something on that list, even the sparkling waters.

Thanks for the great review.

Was on The Allure in 2011 and had the soda package but I don't remember any freestyle machines. Is this something that has been added since that time?

Thanks guys! Below is a map of Labadee. Adrenaline Beach is the northern beach under the zip line. The small red circle is where we went in the water and all the way across had rocks.

The private beach, for upper tier Crown & Anchor members and over the water cabanas, is located at Barefoot Beach Club. The red oval to the right of that is where the girls went and said the water was beautiful & calm. Around that area there is a small aqua park with inflatables in the water for climbing and jumping off of. Kids may like that. I am unsure about Columbus Cove more to the right.

silly me, thought those white things were ice bergs. I'm really tired today. =)

Was on The Allure in 2011 and had the soda package but I don't remember any freestyle machines. Is this something that has been added since that time?

They have been added in the past year & a half. The first ship was Majesty OTS in 2012. I am unsure how many ships they are now on. I can't find a list of ships they are on.

Here is a RCCL video about the machines.

IMG_0808_zpsb7a392b0.jpg

We woke up and went to Windjammer for breakfast. Sorry no pictures.

Aaron & I went down to Chops Grille to change our reservation. It was pretty booked up already, but they were able to accommodate our change. If you want to book a specialty restaurant, my suggestion is, you should either reserve it before embarking or do it right when you step on board.

More pictures from around the ship as we walked to Chops.

IMG_0791_zps543b0869.jpg

IMG_0811_zpse92806f7.jpg

They say you're not allowed to smoke on your cabin balcony. Judy talked to her room steward (different than mine) who said she would bring an ashtray. She brought Judy this ashtray and said you can smoke on your balcony as long as you don't throw the cigarette into the sea.

IMG_0793_zps391013c3.jpg

Famous Henry!

IMG_0807_zps597a2b1d.jpg

Vitality at Sea Spa & Fitness Centre

IMG_0801_zps69dbf47f.jpg

IMG_0802_zps346fc303.jpg

IMG_0803_zpsc6d57ac0.jpg

IMG_0804_zps0919e08c.jpg

This piece of art is located in the Promenade above the seating area for Sorrento's. Most people assume this graffiti says Oasis. If you look close it actually says Genesis. This art pays homage to the original project name of the ship before she was given the name we know today, Oasis of the Seas. When The ship was still in its planning stages she was referred to as "Project Genesis".

IMG_0805_zpsfda39786.jpg

In the Promenade the jewellery store was having a sale on Invicta watches. I bought one on my cruise last year and saw the same one here but it was $50 more. This year I was looking for a new watch but I couldn't find anything I liked. Well... I did find a couple in Regalia, the on board jewellery store, but the most inexpensive watch there was $10,000. Juuuuuuuust a little out of my price range.

IMG_0806_zps580ff6cb.jpg

Nate, is the private beach for upper tier Crown & Anchor or just for suite passengers? And if it is for upper tier, what tier is it? Diamond Plus?? What about the cabanas? Same? Thanks?

At 11am it was time for the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle. It was held in Dazzles, deck 8 aft. It was great to finally meet face to face all the people I had been talking to for months before we stepped on board. We had a great roll call with lots of people talking. 2000 posts and over 100 pages. Thanks to all who made the long countdown to October 12 very enjoyable. Even with the whole thing with Rev, hahaha.

Skillet 6, Peace, Tink, cruisingwithtwins, Bag, Big Daddy and I'm sure I'm missing some more.

IMG_0810_zps259a4ffd.jpg

RCI had set up some pastries, coffee & tea for us while we mingled around. After about 20 minutes or so they held a draw for some prizes. I remember a couple free or 2 for 1 meals at specialty restaurants and some bottles of champagne. Everyone who went also received a Royal Caribbean note pad & pen.

IMG_0809_zps4f27dd8b.jpg

It was then time to head to the pool.

IMG_0812_zpsb3ef7167.jpg

IMG_0816_zps1b5b74fb.jpg