A couple of newbie questions?

vada_9

On the final Formal Night of our transatlantic cruise last month, the menu included an item called (if I remember correctly) "72 Hour Beef".

When I asked our head waiter about it, he said that one of the guest chefs on a recent Food and Wine themed cruise had prepared it for the guests and everyone loved it so much that Crystal decided to use it to replace the usual Beef Wellington. (But whether permanently or temporarily, I forgot to ask.

At any rate, it was absolutely delicious!

I hope it will be permanent (or at least semi permanent) because I don't love Beef Wellington.

On our 3 day tour of Beijing with Crystal many years ago, one evening was an elegant banquet with entertainment. They served us course after course of wonderful Chinese dishes, then came the grand finale - Beef Wellington! Nothing wrong with it but out of place and not in keeping with the rest of the menu. We were on the bus with the guide who had been Master of Ceremonies the previous evening so we asked him why Beef Wellington. He said the Chinese considered it the quintessential western luxury dish and served it when they were trying to show guests that the were sparing no expense to please them. Interesting.

I know I mentioned this when I posted the French Menu but just wanted to note that these menus are meant to provide examples of cuisine that you may find at the French Themed Dinner or the Captain's Dinner but they are just examples. While many of the items will likely be on the menu there will be some differences but hopefully it provides a sense of the types of items that are served.

Keith

I hope it will be permanent (or at least semi permanent) because I don't love Beef Wellington.

On our 3 day tour of Beijing with Crystal many years ago, one evening was an elegant banquet with entertainment. They served us course after course of wonderful Chinese dishes, then came the grand finale - Beef Wellington! Nothing wrong with it but out of place and not in keeping with the rest of the menu. We were on the bus with the guide who had been Master of Ceremonies the previous evening so we asked him why Beef Wellington. He said the Chinese considered it the quintessential western luxury dish and served it when they were trying to show guests that the were sparing no expense to please them. Interesting.

I personally love Beef Wellington, but I'm with you on the change (at least for a couple of years, for a little variety.) The Wellington is been on there so long I can't even remember when it started (and I'm pretty OCD when it comes to details) -- another nice dish that was well received would be a welcome break, even from a classic.

Vince

Thanks Keith, I have been reading your posts for first time cruises since early January this year - when we made our booking. We picked this cruise as an extension to our holiday - main purpose to attend the Dawn service at Gallipoli on ANZAC Day (before we get too old and can't handle the sleepless night) and Crystal were the only cruise line departing Istanbul shortly thereafter. (I still often feel it is out of our league (My husband"s only suit is 20+ years old and doesn't fit and the only long dress I have is my wedding dress from 30 years ago). But we are happy to roll with the flow and we do enjoy the little luxuries in life. Our TA (whom is a friend ) has said that all will be OK. We are looking forward to our first visit to Europe and our first "Ocean Cruise" Hope we don't suffer from Sea sickness.

You are very welcome.

Enjoy each and every minute of your first trip to Europe and your first Ocean Cruise. You are sailing on an outstanding cruise line and a terrific itinerary with so many special ports of call to enjoy. I hope you will visit Ephesus while in Kusadasi and be sure to be out on deck for the arrival to Dubrovnik and Venice.

I will be posting from the Crystal Serenity before your cruise begins and will also be doing a blog so if I can help with any questions as you prepare for the cruise please be sure to ask and of course there are lots of others on this board willing to answer questions as well.

It is also wonderful that you both are making the trip to attend the service at Gallipoli.

On a related note, we just love your country of Australia. We were last in Brisbane in 2011 (the year you had all of those storms but we arrived a few weeks afterwards) and enjoyed your beautiful city. We actually had a couple from Cruise Critic who live in Brisbane onto the ship that afternoon.

Keith

What does one do if they do not like French food? I can be a little picky (no beef or shellfish). What if I can't find something I like? I'm worried that I may find that the case on more than one occasion...which is why I like a buffet for dinner. Look forward to your thoughts.

What does one do if they do not like French food? I can be a little picky (no beef or shellfish). What if I can't find something I like? I'm worried that I may find that the case on more than one occasion...which is why I like a buffet for dinner. Look forward to your thoughts.

No worries, there are standard items offered each evening for the entree that you can ask for. There are also other items that you can easily order for appetizer and salad.

Also, this is an example of why you might want to ask to see the menu the night before from your Head Waiter and if you don't see what you like you can ask for other items.

Again, no worries on Crystal as you can change things up.

Keith

If you simply tell your waiter "there's nothing on here tonight that I like", he will make some suggestions, and likely offer some non-menu item in its place.

Now, if that is a frequent issue (dietary restrictions being another matter of course), I'd be wondering why I'm on a cruise!

Thanks Keith. Glad to hear there will be options. I like having choices. Glad to hear that I can ask for something else if I don't see anything of interest (within reason of course).

You are very welcome.

Again, just ask for the menu then night before and if you do not care for the items on the menu then just discuss alternatives with the headwaiter. They are very happy to offer alternatives. It really is what makes the dining room quite unique.

Also for items that you like but you want prepared slightly differently you can ask them to change it up and usually just do that when you order. For example changing some of the items on a salad or asking for an entree to be prepared differently.

We like to provide 24 hours notice but for example if you want say salmon, or chicken or even a steak even if it's not on the menu you can normally order it on the spot. Or if you would like a different salad that can easily be arranged. It will take a little extra time but they will do this for you. We try to make it as easy as possible so we will speak with them the night before or even sometime in the morning.

Keith

On the final Formal Night of our transatlantic cruise last month, the menu included an item called (if I remember correctly) "72 Hour Beef".

When I asked our head waiter about it, he said that one of the guest chefs on a recent Food and Wine themed cruise had prepared it for the guests and everyone loved it so much that Crystal decided to use it to replace the usual Beef Wellington. (But whether permanently or temporarily, I forgot to ask.

At any rate, it was absolutely delicious!

We had this on our cruise in September in the Vintage Room. It was 72 hour Sous Vide prime rib.

Sous Vide is French for "under vacuum" it is a method of cooking food sealed in airtight plastic bags in a water bath for longer than normal cooking times, 72 hours in some cases at a regulated temperature much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 131 degrees F to 140 degrees F for meats and higher for vegetables. The intention is to cook the item evenly, and not to overcook the outside while still keeping the inside at the same "doneness", keeping the food juicier.

It really is a great way to cook meats and vegetables . I just recently bought a Sous Vide Cooker and I love it. It takes a little getting used to but once you get the hang of it you won't want to cook meats any other way. The meat is always juicy and very tender.

• 4 weeks later...
Mrs. Claypool, the first time I saw it offered was earlier this year and people we spoke with who had it had the precise reaction as you do. They loved it.

Keith

Isnt this also the night they offer lobster tail? The prime rib sounds too good to pass up so it may have to be a surf-n-turf night :). I suppose 24 hours isn't enough time to special request 72 hour prime rib? :)

Isnt this also the night they offer lobster tail? The prime rib sounds too good to pass up so it may have to be a surf-n-turf night :). I suppose 24 hours isn't enough time to special request 72 hour prime rib? :)

Just had it and it's soooooo good!!!

Nancy

Sometimes after a long day of touring, I prefer a small, light dinner. One of my favorites is scrambled eggs. Not kidding! Chefs are required as they move along in their training to do technically perfect scrambled eggs.

They can do this dish for any meal on the Crystal ships.

When our family makes the group decision to travel on one or another of the mass market cruise ships, we get very weary of the apparent over feeding of passengers.

On Crystal it is entirely possible and very pleasant to order a light meal that is what you really want after a hard day out and about.

Yes, it is offered the same night.

Nice idea about surf n' turf.

Keith

haha That's the next complaint we'll hear -- "the 72 hour beef wasn't as good when I requested it 24 hours ahead."

The surf & turf trick was what I used to do with the Beef Wellington, because I found it hard to pass up both entrees. I'm pretty sure I'll pull the same stunt with the sous vide beef. :o I promise it's the only double-entrée I ever order -- in fact, many nights I skip an entrée and do a couple of different appetizers.

Vince