Chop's question regarding the proper amount to tip the server.

We intend to dine in Chop's one night, and I realize that would be $60.00 (two people dining, $30.00 per person), and we'll probably each have a glass of wine if they offer it by the glass. To calculate my tip, would I take the $60.00, then see what the additional costs are for two glasses of wine, then multiply that by 20%...that's what I typically tip in restaurants. Or do they automatically add the tips to your bill?

The up charge is supposed to include the tip but most people tip an additional amount-or at least that's what I read here. We always have because the service has been great. Typically we've tipped about $5-10 per person. Don't know if that's the right amount, but that's what we do. Enjoy!

We intend to dine in Chop's one night, and I realize that would be $60.00 (two people dining, $30.00 per person), and we'll probably each have a glass of wine if they offer it by the glass. To calculate my tip, would I take the $60.00, then see what the additional costs are for two glasses of wine, then multiply that by 20%...that's what I typically tip in restaurants. Or do they automatically add the tips to your bill?

the fee includes the standard gratuity. the wine will also have a standard gratuity added. anything else is purely up to you and your preference.

The cover charge includes gratuity. The receipt you sign has a line for "additional tip." Most of the receipts come that way. I ordered a Chops steak in the MDR, and they automatically added tip. Plus there was the extra place for "additional tip." I think all the bar, spa, cafe lattitudes do it that way.

We've always had the policy at various restaurants that if they add the tip themselves, that's what they get. And that also stretches to cruises. Back when we used to give them tip ourselves, we would tip their recommended amount, or extra if warranted. But with the new system of auto tipping, they have to really do well above and beyond, and that's only happened to us twice.

That's correct...the surcharge IS the tip. Any drink you buy will already have the tip added to the cost.

There is always a line for "additional tip"....you do not need to use that...and, if you do, don't base the tip on the cost of the surcharge or price of drinks! A couple bucks is more than sufficient.

That's correct...the surcharge IS the tip. Any drink you buy will already have the tip added to the cost.

There is always a line for "additional tip"....you do not need to use that...and, if you do, don't base the tip on the cost of the surcharge or price of drinks! A couple bucks is more than sufficient.

Although this "information" has been corrected numerous times, I will do it one more time.:rolleyes: A PORTION, a PART of the surcharge is the tip, not the entire surcharge. As others have said, if you feel the service was exemplary, you may leave extra or not. It's up to you!:)

What happens if you prepay months in advance for specialty. I will have the premium drink package, so I guess I would just give the server a cash tip. Probably appreciate that more anyway.

Even with the pre-pay, if I recall correctly, they still print a receipt so they can validate that you used your pre-pay reservation, you could then add a tip there if you want.

I gauge the level of service not particularly on the total elapsed time but how long my finished course plate sits in front of me.

The $30 per person includes gratuities and any wine you order will have a 15% gratuity automatically added. So, you are all set. If you want to add a little extra, that's up to you, but a "proper amount" is already included. :cool:

OMG. No matter how often this poster is called out on this false statement, she still persists in stating this dribble. Anyone with half a brain would realize that the surcharge does not constitute the tip. A small tip is included. We usually leave $5 per person.

Even with the pre-pay, if I recall correctly, they still print a receipt so they can validate that you used your pre-pay reservation, you could then add a tip there if you want.

I gauge the level of service not particularly on the total elapsed time but how long my finished course plate sits in front of me.

Yes, they still print a receipt. We always prepay/reserve specialty restaurants ahead of time and they always print out a receipt that shows a zero balance, but with a tip line on it. Alcohol will be on a separate receipt.

OMG. No matter how often this poster is called out on this false statement, she still persists in stating this dribble. Anyone with half a brain would realize that the surcharge does not constitute the tip. A small tip is included. We usually leave $5 per person.

What's the difference really? The tip is included in the surcharge. What portion of the surcharge is the tip, is really irrelevant. So if you want to leave an additional tip, that is your choice.

Adam

Ziggypup@aol.com

That's correct...the surcharge IS the tip.

What you are saying is that $30pp is the tip for eating at Chops!! :eek: You are very generous in your tipping practices!!:rolleyes:

Once again, the gratuity is a very small percentage of that $30pp surcharge. Most of that surcharge goes to the food offered in the Specialty Restaurant since it is not included in your cruise fare.

What's the difference really? The tip is included in the surcharge. What portion of the surcharge is the tip, is really irrelevant. So if you want to leave an additional tip, that is your choice.

Adam

Ziggypup@aol.com

When a CC member continually posts that the surcharge in any Specialty Restaurant "IS" the tip..........then that does make a difference.

Once again this is not correct. The surcharge is NOT the tip. There is a small amount of the surcharge that goes to the server. :rolleyes:

OP. You don't have to leave an additional gratuity but if the service is good we always leave an additional amount. The amount that you leave is entirely up to you.

When a CC member continually posts that the surcharge in any Specialty Restaurant "IS" the tip..........then that does make a difference.

Sorry, I don't see how it makes a difference. If we all know that the tip is included in the surcharge, then why is it important to know what percentage of the surcharge is the tip?

Adam

Ziggypup@aol.com

"That's correct...the surcharge IS the tip." THIS IS A FALSE STATEMENT and leads a reader to believe that if the charge for a specialty restaurant is $30 then the entire $30 goes to the servers.

Only a portion of the surcharge goes to the servers. While on either the Oasis or Allure the breakdown of the surcharge was shown on our TV and ONLY A PORTION OF THE SURCHARGE went for the tip.

Why does it matter to get the info right???...because "CBatSea" leads someone to think "Hum, a $30 (actually $60 if two are dining) tip for the server is a lot therefore I will leave nothing additional."

Sorry, I don't see how it makes a difference. If we all know that the tip is included in the surcharge, then why is it important to know what percentage of the surcharge is the tip?

Adam

Ziggypup@aol.com

Because if some think the entire surcharge is the gratuity then most would not give an additional amount. Some of us like to reward the crew for a job well done so yes it does make a difference to know for some of us.

I always leave an additional $10 dollars per person whether or eat in Chops or Portofino. My additional $10 dollars per person is not based upon the cost of the surcharge. And if I recall, the surcharge is $10 dollars more per person in Chops than it is in Portofino. So if the basic question is whether or not the surcharge includes the tip, the answer is yes. Anything additional is solely at your discretion.

Adam

Ziggypup@aol.com

When a CC member continually posts that the entire surcharge in any Specialty Restaurant "IS" the tip..........then that does make a difference.

Adam

Ziggypup@aol.com

New Members to CC as well as to RCI would most probably never eat at a Specialty Restaurant if they continually read that the entire surcharge is the tip.

Ok????

Do we tip or not???

Other previous threads on this topic over the years have stated for average service.........no extra tip is required.............

so

now by not tipping I am more confused than ever.

Sea Ya

We always leave something extra for our server because we know that it is theirs to keep and they do not have to share if they do not want to.:D

Ok????

Do we tip or not???

Other previous threads on this topic over the years have stated for average service.........no extra tip is required.............

so

now by not tipping I am more confused than ever.

Sea Ya

Do what you are comfortable with. :)

Most of us here are just trying to insure that everyone understands that the ENTIRE surcharge is not the gratuity. It makes me laugh to even think that someone would post something so ludicrous as to believe an added revenue generating space would give the entire surcharge to the server. If that were the case why have specialty restaurants? Laughing over that one.

Archived