Cabs

Big Feet

Is it only ME?? Every time I get into one of these cabs (vans) I feel violated. STT, STJ, BVI's where do these people get the nerve to charge such rates. I'm not talking TOUR rates -- just pick up / drop off business.

Lets look at STT. This is not some lowly island. There's ships and planes coming and going constantly. The cabs (vans) are loading up 10 to 12 persons and then they have the gaul to add $ for a bag. I mean $30 PP R/Trip + bag fee is $300 per trip. I know there not running 24/7 but a few trips a day----- the fare from the airport to ferry doc, only 4 miles is $10 one way plus $ for bag. Running to the STJ ferry from the airport--- to red hook $40.00 --- when is the gov't going to step in---- oh these poor taxi drivers ---- when are the cruiselines, hotel chains and airlines going to step in and flex some muscle with these owners. (and NO hotels vans)

When we land in STT all i can think of is facing the Godfather TAXI van man by baggage, with his white button down doormans shirt, and his "I'll make them an offer they can't refuse".

It's organized. I'll let you decide if its a crime or not!!!!

I forgot what your post was about by the time I scrolled down through your signature lines! :D

I don't feel the taxi rates are that unreasonable on STT, BVI and other islands that we visit on both land and sea vacations. I certainly don't consider them to be out of line with other destinations. We use the excellent bus system in those destinations that offer that including SJU. And of course there will be an additional fee for handling and making room for bags - that's a normal way of doing business worldwide!

I hope tourists who aren't pleased with the regulated fares aren't rude to drivers as that would not be very cool ...:o

[EDIT] - I meant to add that we rent vehicles when visiting STT and the BVI whether on a cruise or flying in, you may want to consider that.

On most Caribbean islands- St Thomas being no different- the job of taxiing is a niche that the locals have taken as their own. They make the rules and set the prices and the politicians go along with them because they are a strong voting block. Yes, it is sad, but not much one can do, except rent a car or walk. :)

They do make a pretty good (cash/low tax) living.

Blue: That may be, but they do have some fairly outrageous pricing methods. For example, a safari can take 20 people. The fare for 1 person is X, for two is X-1. If you are an individual on that safari, you will get charged the higher rate, even though the taxi is full.

That is the pricing structure for STT, and for the BVI there is a third tier or discount. These should be considered exactly that - group discounts that folks can take advantage of.

Many ppl will group with others to save that $2. Often though the drivers are giving group mini-tours for a decent fare (Red Hook or Sapphire return to the ports, for ex).

If this 2-person+ discount wasn't offered you'd be complaining about that!:p

Sorry but had to add that :rolleyes:

Blue you lost me. You forgot what my post was about? Then said you use bus system. Then insulted another poster with an uncalled for comment. Then the final insult they work or bust their butt for fares!!!! Guess u forgot u use the bus. By the way, why do you use the "local" bus? Try not to use the standard "want to be with the locals".

I think we all know why, the bus is cheaper then the cabs. Mmmmmmm.

Sent from my SPH-P500 using Forums mobile app

Archived