Kids on Crystal?

JVNYC

I have never sailed on Crystal before and I am looking at a back to back Med cruise in very late Aug/Sept, 2015. I have sailed with Oceania many times and I prefer cruises that have more adults. Can anyone tell me what I can expect on Crystal? Thanks!

Except for school vacation and holiday sailings you will rarely see kids on Crystal and those that are there have always been well supervised in my experience.

I'm sure you will love Crystal, welcome home.

Caryll

I should clarify that I'm looking at August 30 - September 13. I would think kids would be back in school by then, correct?

Most kids are back in school at that time, at least in the states. you might have a few kids but not many.

Nancy

Like everyone has stated, there aren't alot of chidren on Crystal except in the height of summer, and even then, the programs for kids keep them busy and occupied. I took my then 13 month old with us and she was pampered by the entire crew. The one time she started to get fussy in the dining room, we immediatley returned to our cabin and in-room dinner. Thereafter, my husband arranged for baby sitting each evening for dinner time. I really don't think you should have any concern about children and their noise.

A cute note, we were having dinner in Rome and a couple next to us starting discussing the stops to come up on their cruise. I asked them, "Are you going to be on the Symphony?" They were surprised to see our kidlet and asked if she was going to be onboard. I explained it would be her 2nd cruise on Symphony, boy were they surprised!

You're going to have a great cruise!

Terry Anne

You have to think about European school holiday as well; not just US ones since this is Med cruise.

The time you mention is near the very end of of school holidays which normally start either first or second week of September; depends on the school.

http://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu

In should in theory be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
You have to think about European school holiday as well; not just US ones since this is Med cruise.

The time you mention is near the very end of of school holidays which normally start either first or second week of September; depends on the school.

http://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu

In should in theory be fine.

I have never cruised at this time of the year, but I have been at resorts at this time and from that experience I do know that Southern Europe- Italy and Spain for example- can have summer vacations until mid-September.

Without passing judgement I would also say that Southern European kids are also generally allowed more freedom and to be up much later than Anglo-American kids. That said, I highly doubt many (any) would be on a Mediterranean Crystal cruise though the possibility exists.

Edited by DipBrat

There really are going to be almost no children on board this time of year.

I've sailed this time of year and that has been our experience.

Like anytime of the year outside of summer and holidays you always may see a few children and that is true of this time of year.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to add something the onboard Cruise Consultant told me. Many summer voyages in the Mediterranean are port-intensive and may not have sea days. So most passengers, including any families, tend to spend the day ashore until the ship departs.

I know there'll be kids on my Antarctica cruise -- just hope they'll be well behaved. When we sailed on a Med. cruise a few years ago, the ship was full and there were, what seemed like lots of kids, but they seemed (to me) to be well behaved. For some reason, I never even thought of the presence of lots of children on our upcoming cruise -- I've heard that sometimes not all young Crystal cruisers are well behaved. :eek:

Janet,

On our Antartica trip, there will be approximately 35 kids of varying ages.

Chris

Oh my! That's a lot. Not that I don't love kids -- my own kids, my kid's kids, my relatives' kids, my neighbors' kids (some of the time), one-at-a-time kids. My ex-daughter-in-law loves Royal Caribbean because she doesn't have to worry about her (not my son's) kids -- they just run all over the ship and she doesn't have to deal with them. Hopefully, there won't be too many like that on this trip.

We used to go to a dude ranch in Colorado where the children ate one hour before the 'grownups' -- maybe Crystal could do something like that (hint -- are you listening, Crystal?). This place served kids, 'kid' food (which is a lot less expensive) and everyone had a great time. Oh well, everything usually works out and this probably will, too. Thanks Chris. :eek:, again.

Oh, please do not worry about 35 kids and it can really add to the spirit of the holiday feeling on the cruise. Yes, I know not all kids are well behaved (most really are) but the same is true of some of the adults. :p

On our Holiday Cruise on board the Serenity in December 2011 we had slightly more than 35 and it was very special as was the entire Holiday Cruise. On Christmas Day we stopped by the Palm Court where Santa Claus appeared to watch the children sit on his lap. It was very well done. I even sat on his lap too. Yes, he does bring out the "kid" in many of us.

The youth counselors kept the children busy on the sea days and it was very nice in the Dining Room seeing both families and extended families together.

It all just adds to the feeling of family and holiday spirit on the Holiday Cruise.

Keith

We used to go to a dude ranch in Colorado where the children ate one hour before the 'grownups' -- maybe Crystal could do something like that (hint -- are you listening, Crystal?). This place served kids, 'kid' food (which is a lot less expensive) and everyone had a great time. Oh well, everything usually works out and this probably will, too. Thanks Chris. :eek:, again.

Sounds good in theory and nobody wants to sit through dinner with kids screaming or running around, but I am not sure how much uptake there would be for such an idea. I think for most families that take luxury cruises, especially during the holidays, one of the goals is spend as much time as a family as possible. Most work long hours and enjoy the chance to eat together every meal while on vacation.

I would also so that many well traveled kids are also accustomed to eating "adult" food.

Oh, please do not worry about 35 kids and it can really add to the spirit of the holiday feeling on the cruise. Yes, I know not all kids are well behaved (most really are) but the same is true of some of the adults. :p

On our Holiday Cruise on board the Serenity in December 2011 we had slightly more than 35 and it was very special as was the entire Holiday Cruise. On Christmas Day we stopped by the Palm Court where Santa Claus appeared to watch the children sit on his lap. It was very well done. I even sat on his lap too. Yes, he does bring out the "kid" in many of us.

The youth counselors kept the children busy on the sea days and it was very nice in the Dining Room seeing both families and extended families together.

It all just adds to the feeling of family and holiday spirit on the Holiday Cruise.

Keith

Keith -- as usual you are probably (well, more than probably) right! I recently came to realize that I am the ultimate worrywart -- probably inherited from my parents (and their parents -- although when pogroms common, it was being realistic!). I know I will probably have a wonderful time and the kids (most of them) will be cute and energetic -- have never been on Crystal during the holidays. Less than a month til we leave for Buenos Aires!!! Thanks

Sounds good in theory and nobody wants to sit through dinner with kids screaming or running around, but I am not sure how much uptake there would be for such an idea. I think for most families that take luxury cruises, especially during the holidays, one of the goals is spend as much time as a family as possible. Most work long hours and enjoy the chance to eat together every meal while on vacation.

I would also so that many well traveled kids are also accustomed to eating "adult" food.

You are right -- my "kid" (well, not so much a kid anymore) and grandson have eaten 'adult' food since birth almost. This was a luxury dude ranch that cost as much as a luxury cruise (more, actually, except for overseas transportation) and although all the kids there probably had eaten more than their share of 'grownup' food, they enjoyed being able to eat chicken tenders and fries (or pizza or . . . ) and not having to dress up and being able to be as loud as they wanted. But, it was just a thought for maybe Crystal to consider. The kids were free to be with other kids from 10 am - 8:30 pm (teenagers until after midnight) if they wanted, and spent the night and ate breakfast with their parents -- 'twas perfect!! ;)