Question about new Open Passage certificate

chamima

I just read the following:

We have found the simplest way is to have the open passage (or onboard booking) issued in one of our names only, with no travel agent specified.

For an open passage, at a later date when we find a cruise we want to take, we book it directly with Celebrity ourselves using the open passage.

The open passage number becomes the reservation number and the appropriate onboard credit from Celebrity is applied to it.

Either way, it does not lock us in to any specific travel agency up front as we have 60 days after booking the cruise to shop around and compare offers.

When we decide on a TA we want, it is very easy at that time to transfer the booking to the one who offers the best additional perks for that cruise.

I was definitely under the impression that the 60 day transfer period began when you booked the certificate - NOT the cruise.

Since the reservation number is issued with the certificate doesn't the 60 days begin whenever that number is issued?

I'm 99% positive the 60 days starts from when you booked the certificate. I just did this on Solstice in Sept, changed the sailing date after the trip, and was told I have 60 days from the date the original cruise was booked (or when the certificate was "purchased") to trx to a TA.

The wording etc has changed when booking on board on a specific cruise or with open passage. Read it carefully...the small print...before you buy. There is no mention of a 60 day period at all....not sure if that "rule" is still in effect or not. If it is, the 60 days sart the day you do the booking or purchase...in other words, the day you sign the form on board.

For Open Passage, you do not choose a specific cruise. Therefor, it does not have to be transfered - that's what I learned when I bought it onboard. The 60day period thing is for specific bookings only, has nothing to do with a certificate.

New form with fine print:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39803640&postcount=117

I'm 99% positive the 60 days starts from when you booked the certificate. I just did this on Solstice in Sept, changed the sailing date after the trip, and was told I have 60 days from the date the original cruise was booked (or when the certificate was "purchased") to trx to a TA.

"changed sailing day..." does not sound like open passage! If you have a date when buying the certificate onboard, you will most likely have a reserved passage. That would also make sense concerning the 60days.

I have done several Passages programs and never had to specify anything. After the first 2 yrs or so they dropped the 2 yr expiration. When I book through my TA, I tell her I have a Passages cert. and she tells the cruisline. It's always been in the system. I hope they don't start adding restrictions.

If you book a cruise while on a cruise, you don't need Passages to get OBC. Passages is for booking later off the ship and still getting OBC.

Booked 3 Reserved Passages while onboard a cruise in September. We did not list our usual TA on the reservation because we wanted a chance to pick up some type of incentive from them at another time, OR, possibly try another TA. While our TA has been great with making changes for us, etc., they have rarely offered any incentive outside of a cruiseline incentive.

Our 60 day window is coming up in about 10 days. I don't see any offerings on our TA's website. What is the best way to go about seeing what others might offer? Thank you! ;)

I just read the following:

We have found the simplest way is to have the open passage (or onboard booking) issued in one of our names only, with no travel agent specified.

For an open passage, at a later date when we find a cruise we want to take, we book it directly with Celebrity ourselves using the open passage.

The open passage number becomes the reservation number and the appropriate onboard credit from Celebrity is applied to it.

Either way, it does not lock us in to any specific travel agency up front as we have 60 days after booking the cruise to shop around and compare offers.

When we decide on a TA we want, it is very easy at that time to transfer the booking to the one who offers the best additional perks for that cruise.

I was definitely under the impression that the 60 day transfer period began when you booked the certificate - NOT the cruise.

Since the reservation number is issued with the certificate doesn't the 60 days begin whenever that number is issued?

There is a difference between actually booking another cruise while you are on a ship and just purchasing an open passage that never expires and can be used at any time in the future.

If you book a specific cruise, then yes, you have 60 days from the date of purchasing the cruise to transfer it to a TA.

But if you get an open passage, the 60 day period does not kick in until you actually book a cruise with it.

Earlier this year we booked a cruise using an open passage that had been sitting in the file cabinet for well over a year and received a $200 onboard credit for it.

Then we transferred the booking to a TA almost two months after actually booking the cruise.

That is the way we have always used open passages in the past.

I don't know how the requirements have recently changed, but if the new transfer period now begins when you buy the open passage certificate, as you say, then I would have no reason to buy any more open passages in the future.

Booked 3 Reserved Passages while onboard a cruise in September. We did not list our usual TA on the reservation because we wanted a chance to pick up some type of incentive from them at another time, OR, possibly try another TA. While our TA has been great with making changes for us, etc., they have rarely offered any incentive outside of a cruiseline incentive.

Our 60 day window is coming up in about 10 days. I don't see any offerings on our TA's website. What is the best way to go about seeing what others might offer? Thank you! ;)

You'll have to hunt around different agency websites and see what's being offered.

If you're pleased with the service you've received from your prior TA and had no issues with them, you might want to consider using them again. Also realize your TA might (or might not) have a group they can pull you into which could get some additional OBC from the cruise line.

......Our 60 day window is coming up in about 10 days. I don't see any offerings on our TA's website. What is the best way to go about seeing what others might offer? Thank you! ;)
Waiting so long to start looking around is really cutting it very close.

But for the future, if you sign up for the mailing lists of the major TAs you will be bombarded with offers every week.

There is also a site (don't know if we are allowed to name it here) where you can specify the cruise and cabin category you want and you then receive offers from a number of different TAs.

For right now, I would suggest immediately checking out the websites of the major cruise TAs and calling them at their free 800 numbers to see what they will offer you.

Have them email you their offers and terms so you have it all "in writing" to avoid any possible misunderstandings later.

When you pick the one you want, you can quickly fill out the Celebrity transfer form online, email it to them and they handle everything from there on.

There are a few TAs who will even take your reservation number over the phone and process the transfer without requiring the transfer form, but most of them want the transfer form.

Also make sure you find out if they charge cancellation fees if you have to cancel the cruise or change fees if the price goes down before final payment.

These are two different fees and many TAs charge one or the other (or both! :( )

Waiting so long to start looking around is really cutting it very close.

That's because I have not seen any offers anywhere for a cruise that is already booked. Most sites say New Bookings Only. Also, we do not want to lose the perks that we are getting through Celebrity. Looking for a rate reduction will probably not work unless we want to upgrade because the rate may not be a 5*.

But for the future, if you sign up for the mailing lists of the major TAs you will be bombarded with offers every week.

I am on a couple of TA's email list, but again site the above in what has been offered. Not seeing anything for Reserved Bookings, but have seen offers for a Future Passage.

There is also a site (don't know if we are allowed to name it here) where you can specify the cruise and cabin category you want and you then receive offers from a number of different TAs.

We already have the cruise booked and category/stateroom picked out and reserved. :confused:

For right now, I would suggest immediately checking out the websites of the major cruise TAs and calling them at their free 800 numbers to see what they will offer you.

Have them email you their offers and terms so you have it all "in writing" to avoid any possible misunderstandings later.

When you pick the one you want, you can quickly fill out the Celebrity transfer form online, email it to them and they handle everything from there on.

There are a few TAs who will even take your reservation number over the phone and process the transfer without requiring the transfer form, but most of them want the transfer form.

Thank you all for the advice. ;)

OP: Sorry, I think I misunderstood...didn't realize you were referring to an open Passages. For Open, it should be 60 days from when you decide on a sailing. I thought you were talking about an actual booking made onboard...sorry about that.

That's because I have not seen any offers anywhere for a cruise that is already booked. Most sites say New Bookings Only. Also, we do not want to lose the perks that we are getting through Celebrity. Looking for a rate reduction will probably not work unless we want to upgrade because the rate may not be a 5*.
It looks like this thread has turned into a mixture of apples and oranges, discussion of Open Passage certificates and discussion of travel agent perks.

We transfer previously booked cruises to a travel agent for the travel agent perks that we get in addition to the perks we are already receiving from the cruise line.

When we transfer a cruise that was booked at a 5* rate, we keep the 5* perks from the cruise line, and get the TA perks on top.

We would only lose the perks from Celebrity if we changed to a different fare category.

The higher the price of the cruise and the greater the commission the TA receives, the better the perks they are able to offer the passenger.

If we got a super bargain low, discounted fare, then we would not expect to receive any great perks from a TA.

It is a matter of weighing the pros and cons of the various options and seeing which works best to our advantage on each cruise.

There is no one right answer that fits all situations.

Sometimes it is better to keep the higher fare category and receive much better perks.

Other times it is better to give up the perks for a big discount or a great upgrade.

Archived