Cheaper & Cheaper

ToadOfToadHall

Well, there is a multiple poster on another thread stating he would only do a crossing depending on "who was going"

David.

If you're going to talk about me you should at least mention me by name.

But as is is not the same as as was, that's the problem.

David.

In your perception. I think everything is just fine.

Pennbank - made me chuckle, will pass that on! Now you mention it, they are very typical of Margot from the Good Life, I have seen repeats of that programme looks like it was a hoot in its day!

Another goody was Keeping up appearances with Hyacinth Bucket (Patricia Routledge) who inisted her name was pronounced Bouquet. :D

The 1993 Christmas special called 'Sea Fever" is in my opinion hilarious, filmed on QE2.

I think its all in parts on You Tube. ;)

The only lines likely to we don't need to consider: the rusting hulks we saw at ports in the Med last month won't make much difference and none of the major cruise lines are likely to fail. No, what would happen if cruise sales diminished is that ships would be laid up. There is certainly no sight of this yet.

And I don't think many have bee scrapped this century.

David.

I see your point David, but when I predict a line going belly up, the likely result would be that another line would take over and refurbish their ships to upgrade their their fleet, and then retire an older, less efficient ship. NCL for example, has three ships in their line that originally sailed under different flags. The Spirit and the Star both were originally part of the Star Line, while the Sky was built by Costa. Long story short consolidation and upgrade will result in fewer lines sailing fewer ships. And eventually higher prices will follow.

In 2014 there are 4 ships scheduled to come on line, these will provide over 14,000 passenger berths. 2015 will provide a further 20,000 and 2016 yet another 16,900. That is over 50,000 bums that will have to be found to fill the cabins. I think that it is way beyond over-supply.

Archived