Curacao renting a car vs. tour

4Golf1955

Yes - we rented a car in Curacao about 8 -10 yrs ago. We reserved one in advance - I believe through Budget. We did not go to the beaches with it but explored part of the island, including a stop for a self tour at the Curacao Liqueur plant, (check their website if interested), as well as an excellent dolphin encounter, also (at the time, as I recall) self booked.

The roads are easy to navigate and costs very reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone rented a car on Curacao after getting off the ship? Also which beaches offer best snorkeling? We are a party of 4 and would consider a private tour.

4Golf1955

We rented a car in March this year from Blue Skies Car Rental. They are located right by the cruise terminal, but it takes a 5 minute cab ride to get there. The small car we rented was in top condition and only cost $34 for the day. They dropped us off at the ship afterwards. Driving in Curacao is easy, and with a map or GPS you won't have trouble finding your way. I wouldn't bother with a private tour.

We snorkeled first at Porto Marie. This would be a great stop for swimming and a general beach day, as their are lounger/umbrella rentals, a dive shop, restaurant, etc., as well as a lovely sandy beach, but I wouldn't return for snorkeling. They have made an effort by making a route for snorkelers to follow, but there really is little to see.

Our next stop was Kleine Knip. Here there are no facilities at all, and almost no other people, but there was interesting snorkeling along the two sides of the beach.

Grote Knip is just a couple of minutes away, but we just took a quick look and continued on our way. We might give it a try next time. There was another site north of Grote Knip that we visited, as it is just off the main road and shares parking with a restaurant where we had lunch. Great place, great food and we really didn't mind the chickens running around. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the name, but I'd return there too another time.

Here's a useful link for diving or snorkeling: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/Curacao/index.htm