Jewel-What Excursions To Take-Jamaica

Mokescaps

I've looked into Rose Hall Hilton and Paradise beach. Both are all inclusives. The Hilton looks much nicer but more expensive. One plus to Paradise Beach is that its blocks away from the port. One thing, I have noticed on some of the beach getaways in Jamaica, seems there is a charge for the beach, another charge if you want a chair and another charge if you want an umbrella. Not at the all inclusives.

Odd but reviews I have been reading both on here and other sites, seems like 1 in 4 talk about way overly aggressiive locals, not feeling safe, bad attitudes, etc. I've never been to Jamaica before so I am not sure what to expect. Its definitely making me think twice about an off the beaten path excursion for my parents.

http://www.resortforaday.com/Jamaica-s/1818.htm

You must do Dunns River falls .. Its required ;)

The Jamaicans have disliked outsiders (Americans) for quite some time .

I know some willl say thats nonsense , when you are there ask >>

Its rather enlightening ..

You must do Dunns River falls .. Its required ;)

The Jamaicans have disliked outsiders (Americans) for quite some time .

I know some willl say thats nonsense , when you are there ask >>

Its rather enlightening ..

We booked a Ship Tour in Jamaica due to the posts here on CC...

We booked the Dunns River Falls etc. tour, and so happy we did!

The falls was great fun....we did not climb the falls, but walked on the nice walkways to view the amazing view of the falls meeting the ocean.

We have always felt comfortable, getting a cab or sharing a bus to pre-selected beaches and destinations, and felt comfortable with our surroundings, but Jamaica......never again!

Our tour guide warned us on the vendors at the falls, she was so much fun. Riding through Ocho Rios on the nice bus was great, but, we did not see one location that we would want to be touring "solo". Even the stop at the "shopping mall" was very uncomfortable.

Check the Cruise Critic Ports Of Call board to learn how to enjoy Jamaica.

Again, I am very happy we saw the Falls

We are doing the Rose Hall Plantation and taste of Jamaica tour on our NCL Jewel cruise Dec 1st. This was recommended by several on our roll call.

Never been to Jamaica but no port could be scarier than Tunis, in Tunisia 4 years ago. We took an excursion to Carthege which was Ok but we got dropped off at the souks for over an hour which was scary when local residents cursed us and spit on my wife for being American. Several on our cruise got mugged and robbed by taxi drivers there too.

Has anyone done the Dolphin Encounter and Dr. Cave Beach excursion from the Jewel?

We did the Dolphin Encounter from the Jewel just a few weeks ago, but we were in Costa Maya, MX. It was a "Must Do" excursion. The pictures are VERY expensive, but we got them anyway, since this was a "once in a lifetime" thing. I believe the tour operator operates the Dolphin Encounter in several ports. It may be the same in Jamaica as Costa Maya.

I've attached pics of the Dolphin Encounter. My oldest is 12 and my youngest is 6. We were all able to swim with them and it was AWESOME!!!!

759749836_EthanDolphin.jpg.0126547485f841fdba103f975cf95738.jpg

274927113_Cdolphin.jpg.9fb9df654852781fd086aaa4fd141ce1.jpg

1921541822_KaraDolphin.jpg.4c1830dd579edb24da963ceceff46111.jpg

I've looked into Rose Hall Hilton and Paradise beach. Both are all inclusives. The Hilton looks much nicer but more expensive. One plus to Paradise Beach is that its blocks away from the port. One thing, I have noticed on some of the beach getaways in Jamaica, seems there is a charge for the beach, another charge if you want a chair and another charge if you want an umbrella. Not at the all inclusives.

Odd but reviews I have been reading both on here and other sites, seems like 1 in 4 talk about way overly aggressiive locals, not feeling safe, bad attitudes, etc. I've never been to Jamaica before so I am not sure what to expect. Its definitely making me think twice about an off the beaten path excursion for my parents.

http://www.resortforaday.com/Jamaica-s/1818.htm

I will just give you our experience and I know others will chime in with a opinion: We have been to Jamaica 4 times, twice on ships and twice staying at AI. I would never again get off the ship. yes, the people are really pushy, it isn't the safest port and most things are overpriced. Now, I will add one positive thing: if you want a thrill and an experience you will never forget, even though you will still run into the pushy vendors; In Ocho Rios, Dunns River falls is an experience everyone should have. You do have to be in fairly good physical condition, but I don't mean a super jock or anything like that.

Dunn River Falls. Booked this thru a Mark's tours (If my memory is correct) Anyway, great trip. DH and I over 50 and climbed the falls. :D

We were in our late 50s when we did the falls, yes, we made it to the top, but boy it wasn't the easiest activity I have even done. I don't know how many times I thought I wouldn't make it. When I did, boy was my adrenalin pumped.

Dunn River Falls. Booked this thru a Mark's tours (If my memory is correct) Anyway, great trip. DH and I over 50 and climbed the falls. :D

Yeah mon, I totally agree that climbing the Falls makes lifetime memories (and is not near a physically rigorous as you might think). I couldn't recommend it more highly. If you want to economize and not book an excursion you can still do it on your own. The site is a National Park; make your own way there and pay as you go to climb the falls and have beach time. http://www.dunnsriverfallsja.com/

Book a private tour that includes Irie Blue Hole. Its better than Dunns River falls, no vendors at all and you aren't there with 4,000 of your closest friends.

I TOTALLY agree! We went to Secret Falls (also known as Irie Blue Hole)

with this private company:

www.libertytoursjamaica.com

and it was the HIGHLIGHT of our cruise. Not many people know about this secret hideaway, so its very private and not a lot of people. It sure was gorgeous! I found this from my ROLL CALL group on cruise critic for our Allure cruise and I was SO happy I did. We joined together and went on the best tour ever! After secret falls, our driver Ricardo took us to Shaw Park for sightseeing and picture taking, then to Scotchies for lunch. Jerk Chicken, Rice and beans. It was wonderful! I highly recommend this company!

Agree! Went on a cruise that docked at Montego Bay. SIL (who is in the business to know) did a quick check and recommended staying on board and we did.

You are missing out! I don't like being hassled in MoBay, but if you venture outside with a private tour company like we did, we were not exposed to that! Go on trip advisor and look up Irie Blue Hole/Secret Falls.

It was one of the most gorgeous places I had been, totally secluded, private and fun. I wrote a review on there with pictures with the tour company we used. Liberty Tours Jamaica. This tour was the highlight of our cruise, and I would do it again!

Archived