DIY Sand Bottle Favors (pic heavy tutorial)- Cheap item for OOT Bags!

Hi Ladies and Gents!

I'm officially a DIY-aholic, haha. My newest masterpiece came out so adorable I just had to share with you all! I'm pretty proud as these are my own creation! :)

ry%3D480

I just made these super cute mini favor bottles for guests to collect sand at the beach to keep as a memory of the trip. I'm not sure how I'm going to package them yet but they're going to go in the OOT bags.

I ordered the jars from china on eBay. I paid right around $5 for 20 of them. The starfish charms are also from eBay. I think it was about $5 for 90 so there are plenty left over for another project.

ry%3D400

Here's a list of everything I used:

Jars

Starfish charms

Wax cotton cord (from michaels, left over from my invites)

1/16 inch hole punch (also from michaels, left over from invites)

Paper and printer

Scissors

Needle and thread

Thimble

Small bowl for collecting scraps (not necessary but I made my in bed so cleanup was a breeze) :)

I started by printing the message on plain paper using the Avery 5160 label template in word.

ry%3D400

Next, cut the strips of paper to size. This is a bit tricky. If you make them too big the cork will squish the message. Too small and they will turn sideways and be difficult to remove. I measured the paper against the length of the bottle right past the neck.

Continued...

ry%3D400

(Please excuse my un-manicured nails!) :)

Next, punch your message at the tail end:

ry%3D400

Now comes the hard part. You want to get the thread through the cork. After much trial and error I found it easiest to go sideways through the skinny end. Go slow and use your thimble!

ry%3D400

After you get the cork through, pull it all the way to the knot at the end of the string. Then slide your message down the string and double tie it, leaving about 1/2-3/4 inch of string. This makes it easier to pull the message out later.

ry%3D400

Roll your message with the writing facing inwards.

Then pop it in the bottle and seal it with the cork. At this point you can trim any loose strings.

ry%3D400

Continued...

Edited by tinkerbell_82
fix pics

Next, cut about 2 inches of cord.

ry%3D400

Finally, thread your charm and double knot it around the neck of the bottle. Trim the loose ends and you're all done! :)

ry%3D400

The idea is that when they pull the cork out the message comes out easily as it's attached.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Hope you guys enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Those are really cute! I wish you years of happiness.

(I'm lurking around this forum as DH and I are renewing our vows to mark our 20th next year, and I'm looking for ideas.)

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

You did a great job on your packing! Was this just for ease of travel or to save money

on those pesky baggage fees?

I could pack like that for a Caribbean cruise, but enjoy having a chance to wear cute things I don't wear that often in my every day life.

I know I would need a bigger suitcase for cold weather travel. I don't go any where other than a cruise without my favorite jeans.

I know just where you live as we have a house off 192. Lovely area!

Happy travels.

Tropicqueen

You did a great job on your packing! Was this just for ease of travel or to save money

on those pesky baggage fees?

I could pack like that for a Caribbean cruise, but enjoy having a chance to wear cute things I don't wear that often in my every day life.

I know I would need a bigger suitcase for cold weather travel. I don't go any where other than a cruise without my favorite jeans.

I know just where you live as we have a house off 192. Lovely area!

Happy travels.

Tropicqueen

I could have taken three checked bags weighing a total of 170 pounds. I don't like to be tied down with a lot of luggage, I don't like to have to rely on porters, and I like to use mass transit when available. It takes a bit of planning to travel light, but it's incredibly liberating once you get the hang of it. I'm already thinking about what I'll be packing for next years cruise.

I can do cold weather travel light as well, cashmere and silk knits are light but warm and easy to pack.

We are about three miles south of 50 just off 27. Love the area!

Absolutely adorable... These are the cutest little bottles and to be used to bring home some memorable sand I think this is great. Well done they look great and thank you for sharing.

Crystal

Those are really cute! I wish you years of happiness.

(I'm lurking around this forum as DH and I are renewing our vows to mark our 20th next year, and I'm looking for ideas.)

Thank you both so much. I'm onto my next DIY project now. Hopefully I'll have a post for you guys this weekend. :)

• 2 months later...