return flight time recommendation

kitkat343

We are traveling in January with our 3 year old son. Our boat is scheduled to dock in Tampa at 7 am. Would it be pushing it to book an 11 am domestic flight back home? There is also a 2 pm flight available that day.

Thanks so much

It's possible to make the 11 am flight, if everything goes OK and you carry off your own luggage. It would be pushing it. The 2 pm flight would be safer.

It's possible to make the 11 am flight, if everything goes OK and you carry off your own luggage. It would be pushing it. The 2 pm flight would be safer.

This exactly! Unlike Fort Lauderdale, the airport is not right next to the cruise port so there will be a little drive...nothing major, but there can easily be traffic. Florida airports tend to get quite busy on days ships dock so you could also have some lines at the ticket counter & at security (recently in Orlando security was an hour wait on one of those mornings---not usually that long, but often the longest waits are when ships are in). Also, walking off with all of your luggage with a 3 year old would be ambitious.

Personally, I'd risk the earlier flight! You will most likely be off the ship before 10am if you dawdle....I'd hate to have to entertain a 3 year old from say, 9am-2pm!

I would tell them (midway thru the cruise they will ask) that you have an early flight....you'll be in one of the 1st groups off the ship. You should be off the ship by 8:30 am.

I normally would not post again but I really think this January that it is a big mistake to go for the earlier flight. Don't underestimate the fog but also that fact that there is a lot of construction going on at the airport which is causing traffic to move very slowly.

Why not just plan to be in the last group off the ship and not have the pressure of whether you make the flight or not. If this was next May I would not be cautioning you about this but we are talking this January.

Keith

I normally would not post again but I really think this January that it is a big mistake to go for the earlier flight. Don't underestimate the fog but also that fact that there is a lot of construction going on at the airport which is causing traffic to move very slowly.

Why not just plan to be in the last group off the ship and not have the pressure of whether you make the flight or not. If this was next May I would not be cautioning you about this but we are talking this January.

Keith

This is right on! If everything went exactly by plan you could make the earlier flight, but one thing being off could cause it not to work. The construction could definitely slow down the trip to the airport, the lines at the airport could be lengthy and the fog is a real issue in Tampa at that time of year (last year I recall hearing of ships delayed docking by hours).

The Tampa airport is large with plenty of room to move around/things to do. I'd rather try to entertain a little one there for a little extra time than be stressed about making the flight.

Your cruise paperwork generally has their recommended time for the earliest flight you should book. This is based on their knowledge and experience of docking Times, getting approval from customs to disembark, getting through customs and to the airport.

Nothing would wreck my post cruise glow more than being stressed about catching a flight.

Archived