Cruise Critic Community
puppycanducruise

Noordam or Veendam - Panama Canal

I know it may be a long time from now, but DH and I would like to do a full transit of the Panama Canal. He hopes to retire in 2015, so we would like to do this cruise as a celebration of that.

It looks like we could sail on either the Noordam or Veendam in April 2015. We haven't been on either of these ships. We have been on the Volendam, Rotterdam, Amsterdam and Eurodam.

Please share any thoughts - pro and con - on these two ships, especially regarding the canal. I know that's asking a lot, but some of you know so much about these vessels and itineraries, it's amazing.

Thanks.:)

I think it is a matter of preference. We prefer the smaller R&S class ships and based on that would pick the Veendam. In fact, we will be boarding her in 28 days for a 25 day cruise. I can tell you lots more when we return.

Whichever you choose, be certain to bring lots of sunblock for standing out on deck through the passage. And do try the Panama rolls they will bring on board. Oh my, they are delicious.

I see you have sailed on Hal's smaller ships as well as on the larger Eurodam. Just ask yourself which experience you preferred---large or small? That should steer you in the right direction.

We are looking at the repo cruise in 2015 on the Westerdam. I see that the Noordam has replaced the Zuiderdam on that cruise in 2015.

My personal preference is for the Vista and Signature class ships, or, as I call them, "the glass elevator ships".

We are doing that same cruise as a repeat on the Zuiderdam in April of 2014. It is a fabulous cruise and once is not enough.

I'll add to kakalina's sunblock imperative and say that a sun hat is an absolute must for the canal trip.

It's not too soon to plan.

Thank you kakalina, I'm looking forward to the panama buns!

Thank you sapper1. I was a little nervous before sailing on the Eurodam that it would be too big since we really enjoyed the smaller HAL ships, but we loved it. (Of course, the upgrade to Neptune cinched that)

Yes, both DH and I are blond and pale, so SPF 50, and hats all the time.

DH & I might be on the Noordam - we loved her in Europe - I guess after the repo - she will be in Alaska and on the west coast

I saw that the Noordam will be on the west coast in 2015. I'd pick the Noordam over the Veendam in a heartbeat. I have sailed on both ships.

I've been on both and would choose the Noordam as well. Interesting that the Noordam is repositioning from Fort Lauderdale to Alaska...no more Europe for her, I guess.

Glad I booked her TA next fall...that might be the last one!

Thank you kakalina, I'm looking forward to the panama buns!

Thank you sapper1. I was a little nervous before sailing on the Eurodam that it would be too big since we really enjoyed the smaller HAL ships, but we loved it. (Of course, the upgrade to Neptune cinched that)

Yes, both DH and I are blond and pale, so SPF 50, and hats all the time.

Make sure you are on deck or your balcony around 5AM so as not to miss anything.

Even at that time the air will be thick enough to cut with a knife. I save a sundress that doesn't touch anywhere but my shoulders for this trip. Real loose.

Not quite a muumuu but close.

Edited by sapper1

Make sure you are on deck or your balcony around 5AM so as not to miss anything.

Even at that time the air will be thick enough to cut with a knife. I save a sundress that doesn't touch anywhere but my shoulders for this trip. Real loose.

Not quite a muumuu but close.

We did the partial Panama Canal visit on a southern Carib cruise about 10 years ago. Our captain said that we entered the canal at the "uncivilized time of 6am". It may be "uncivilized" but I don't want to miss anything. I remember walking outside at that time and my glasses fogged up - already very humid after being in a/c.