• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Live from Equinox - Nov 1 Greek Islands

güerejo

Greetings for the Celebrity Equinox!

I have benefited so much from all the information on Cruise Critic that I wanted to share our experience so far aboard this magnificent ship! I will start by saying that we do enjoy some of the finer things in life (we like to stay at 4-5 start hotels and I completed culinary school so I would consider myself a fairly critical eater). We had four days each in Paris and London before we made the trip to Barcelona, so we can also compare service/food on the ship to some of the better land based services. All of this aside, we have been blow away by the quality on Celebrity! The service has been incredible (there will always be the odd mistake or something lost in translation) and the food quality has been much better than anticipated! The fresh baked goods are better than what we have at home (Vancouver, Canada) and the savory items have been fresh, full of flavour and very well presented. We have been dining in Blu and our experience has been that it's a step above the main dining room. I was worried after reading some conflicting posts about Blu, but for our tastes Blu is worth every extra penny! It's à la minute food that's on par with very good restaurants on land.

Embarkation in Barcelona was very efficient. We did not have printed luggage tags due to all our cabin reassignments (price drops etc), but a porter marked our bags right away. We proceeded into the terminal, where fruit punch and water was available. They did have a separate line for suite passengers and we did not have to wait at all for checkin. We had our sea passes printed and photos taken of us and we were on our way to board the ship. We had heard about the spot to make dining reservations for the speciality venues, so we did this right away (we had two included as part of our suite). Again, they did have red carpet and separate gangway for suite passengers but there was no lineup when we boarded (around 1:30pm). We did receive a glass of champagne (or a mimosa if you preferred). We were told our cabin was already ready to go, so we made our way to drop off our carry on. We have cabin 1663 (S1) and are over the moon happy with it! We have a wonderful view of the aft and up the side of the ship. We have already had several glasses of champagne and afternoon tea sweets enjoying the magnificent view! There is an incredible amount of space in our cabin; we have a large closet plus several rows of drawers and flat cupboards to place folded clothes. We brought a lot of stuff with us (2 full cases each) and still have extra room which we haven't used. Our butler has been a great help - fulfilling any special requests and even surprising us by shining our shoes for the other night! My husband's birthday is tomorrow so he helped me arrange for champagne and canopies on our verandah for our sail away from Athens.

Concerning the lack of aft elevators, again I had read lots on the forums. The walk from the very aft of the ship to the mid ship elevators is 1-2 minutes max. In fact we have often walked the entire length in 5 or so minutes. Compared to all the walking we did in London & Paris, this really is a short stroll for anyone that is used to walking a decent amount.

We have had no soot on our balcony and our it has been washed off every day for us as well. Our butler has been brining us a full selection of tea sandwiches, sweets and the standard hummus/chips etc that the other cabins normally receive. If we are not here, he leaves it on the coffee table for us. The butler/attendant service harps been incredible! I will literally use a glass in the morning for a drink of water and when I come back to the room and hour later it will have been changed for a clean one. Quite a few times we leave our cabin and our butler is waiting in the hall to ensure everything is to our liking - nothing is too much for the staff on this ship. Their favourite line is 'everything is possible.' The senior staff has been very vocal about wanting feedback from the guests so that they can improve anything that needs to be worked on. We did have a couple of subpar experiences in the Molecular Bar with borderline rude service. Pinot just directed at us but we also overheard a few other guests being spoken down to by the bartenders. When we commented about this on our tour yesterday, several other people also confirmed they have similar experiences. We decided to pass along this feedback to the cruise director (Damian); as a premium bar on the ship, the service should be equal or superior to the other venues. He was disappointed to hear about our experience and when he saw us again this afternoon, he came over to confirm that he had already spoken to the staff about this. So even when it comes to the minor items, the onboard staff seems very open and committed to improvement!

We upgraded to premium package and as suggested on here, were charged $10/day. I must say the drinks have been very strong (and I like a strong drink!). Not a complaint, just a heads up that you may find you drink less than expected. After wine at dinner and two martinis at the bar, I wasn't feeling any pain last night :)

Okay, now a big kudos to our fellow cruisers! We have met so many wonderful people already and we're only a few days into our cruise. We had a lovely cruise critic party at Michaels Club on the first sea day (although 9:30AM was a bit early!) Damian came by the kick off the party and everyone introduced them self; it was nice to faces to names! We already did one excursion with a group setup on here and it turned out great.

I will keep trying to make notes of anything that I think would be useful to future cruisers. If you do have any questions, feel free to ask away! I may not respond right away though. One minor gripe is the internet prices - so I won't be checking too often until we get back home!!

Cheers, Cassidy

Thanks so much for your terrific review. I love the Equinox, ship and crew!

Guess I am the third in a row, with the two above who will be on the TA leaving Barcelona 11/25. Looking forward to nearly two weeks in Barcelona before the ship sails!

Enjoying your review and will be sailing again on Equinox in about six weeks.

It was on this ship that DW and I had our first experience with Aqua Class and found Blu so great that we've booked the same class for two of our three cruises since. Unfortunately, we did not find Blu as good on Eclipse and figured that it was just like anything else where the service is contingent on the people on board at that time. I am very happy to hear that you really like Blu on this ship.

I'm going to be looking forward to your continued posts. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Archived