1st Cruise, snorkeling in Nassau?

phyonyxz

Hello! I just recently booked our first cruise with RCI on the Sovereign, 4 nights with stops in Cococay and Nassau. I've always wanted to go snorkeling but I don't really have the slightest idea of where or who to go with? RCI offers the stingray snorkel (which I'm not sure I would be very interested in), rainbow reef snorkeling, and seahorse sailing & snorkeling.

It seems like most prefer to book their excursions outside of the cruise line so I was hoping that someone could recommend something else or if what the cruise offers is great, please let me know. It's only going to be my bf and myself, and we're both excellent swimmers, so that should not be any issue. My only concerns would be if booking with the cruise is an advantage in case of being rerouted because of a storm?

If anyone has any recommendations or info. it'd help a ton! We're leaving on the 25th of this month, so time is getting short.

Thanks!

We are also booked on the Sovereign though sadly not until October. We started snorkeling a few trips ago and I absolutely love it. For first timers, I would not recommend going to a deep snorkel off a boat. It can be pretty daunting learning to breath, relax and watching th current. (Kind of like learning to drive in a stick shift.) Best to find a beach that allows for you to get used to it fairly shallow, then you can go deeper as you feel comfortable. We bought our own mask and snorkel. They say its sanitized but I can't stand putting it in my mouth after someone else has chewed on it.

We started with Wal-Mart mask but most don't seal well enough. If you can put it on your face, suck in and it stays on without the strap, its probably OK. don't adjust too tight, it makes the mask leak. I take a tiny bottle of baby shampoo,apply a drop and swish it in the water to rinse. It keeps it fog-free. Spit works for some people. Guess I don't have the right kind of spit!!

Most of all, you must relax and have a great time looking at all the fish.

I would pass on a snorkel excursion in Nassau. They all seem to be cattle boats and the fish/coral life is practically non-existent, except for the usual boring ones. I would snorkel at CocoCay though. Its right from the beach, so good for beginners, and then if you swim off over to the left, where the main reef is, its good. A lot of coral and fish. A bit of a current when I was there, but there is a lifeguard station not too far away. The great thing is that you can snorkel on and off all day, while taking a break sipping a CocoLoco :D sitting on the nice beach.

Archived