No more sailing into Venice past St Marks.

homeinboca

This legislation comes after years of debate and highly charged emotions regarding the effect of increasingly larger cruise ships on the historic old city.

According to the Italian newspapers, environmentalists warn that the lagoon surrounding Venice is at risk due to its fragile ecosystem. Experts warn that the thousand-year-old wooden piles that prop up the city underwater would crumble like toothpicks under the weight of a 114,500-ton cruise ships like the Costa Concordia, Royal, Crown, etc.

In September, there were protests against the cruise industry which were widely reported in Italy, although the news did not gather much attention in the U.S.

The cruise industry took a rather arrogant approach to the local protesters and largely disregarded them.

John

According to the Italian newspapers, environmentalists warn that the lagoon surrounding Venice is at risk due to its fragile ecosystem. Experts warn that the thousand-year-old wooden piles that prop up the city underwater would crumble like toothpicks under the weight of a 114,500-ton cruise ships like the Costa Concordia, Royal, Crown, etc.

An interesting statement from these "experts".

1) a 114,500 ton ship does not actually weigh 114,500 tons. Tonnage is a measure of space, not weight.

2) I was always under the impression that the wooden piles supported the buildings on land, not the water. Although I am sure there is some effect, it is hard to imagine the piles supporting either the water or the ship.

Wow the ban as of November 2014 is huge for the big ships. No more Grand Med. for Royal or Regal. Rules out the Solstice Class ships too.

Actually, only the following Princess ships will be able to sail the existing canal:

Sea Princess

Sun Princess

Dawn Princess

Pacific Princess

Ocean Princess

Sure glad I was on the Ruby in 2012!

Actually, only the following Princess ships will be able to sail the existing canal:

Sea Princess

Sun Princess

Dawn Princess

Pacific Princess

Ocean Princess

Sure glad I was on the Ruby in 2012!

The Coral and Island are only 92,000 tons so shouldn't they be allowed on the canal?

I think you can safely book a cruise to Venice in 2016.

Italy will have, what, 30 different governments between now and then? Many of them controlled by Berlusconi - who must have money invested in cruise lines. ;)

That plus the glacier pace of construction (with the greens who want to protect Venice having announced that they will try to block the new canal designed to protect Venice...), should insure that nothing changes for another 5 years at least. :D:D:D

I think you can safely book a cruise to Venice in 2016.

Italy will have, what, 30 different governments between now and then? Many of them controlled by Berlusconi - who must have money invested in cruise lines. ;)

That plus the glacier pace of construction (with the greens who want to protect Venice having announced that they will try to block the new canal designed to protect Venice...), should insure that nothing changes for another 5 years at least. :D:D:D

that's the issue though.. large ships are banned until the new canal is built, 2 years in italian time is probably closer to 10. They may never let the large ships back.