Is it ok to give MDR server wine left in the bottle?

dvcmember

Just purchased some nice bottles of wine for my cruise. Was thinking that I may leave a glass in the bottle so that my server can enjoy it. Are they allowed to do so? Has anyone done this before in the past and have they appreciated it?

Edited by dvcmember

A normal occurence; night before disembarkation, there are always some wine bottles with ''a weebit left'' and guests won't bother taking them up to their stateroom. There is always sort some of late night staff ''party'' ( for those whose hours of duties allow them the '' luxury''...) and the left over wine bottles are, beleive me, ''well taken care of''....and why not ? Plan ''B'' is to empty them ? No way....

We have, on a few occasions, asked our wine steward if he or she was familiar with a wine we brought on board, and if interested, we invited them to try a little. I think once we got "Thank you, but my boss wouldn't like it", and a couple of times they brought a glass and tried a couple of sips - for scientific purposes, of course! In the Pinnacle, we usually invite the wine steward to try what we have brought, and give us an opinion on the wine. We have never just left an amount behind - probably they would be more inclined to keep it for you for the next day.

Just purchased some nice bottles of wine for my cruise. Was thinking that I may leave a glass in the bottle so that my server can enjoy it. Are they allowed to do so? Has anyone done this before in the past and have they appreciated it?

Not sure if HAL rules allow the staff to accept wine etc. from guests but the majority of the wait staff are Muslim and consequently may not drink alcohol so may not accept your offer. The wine stewards are Filipino so it should be OK to offer it to them.

Thought it would be a nice gesture to show them our appreciation for their outstanding service.

Your heart is certainly in the right place. Some may not enjoy the wine as you do, however, whereas $$$ is always appreciated.

Your heart is certainly in the right place. Some may not enjoy the wine as you do, however, whereas $$$ is always appreciated.

I agree , But it might be not permitted for the staff to take the wine I know they are not permitted to have any hard liquor of any type in there cabin.

They are permitted as long as you write them a note that it was gifted. DH does not drink consequently we give a lot of wine and champagne away.

This in no way affects the amount of tips we give, we just want someone who can enjoy it to have it. Our room stewards if not into drinking it themselves ( and FYI not all Muslims are teetotalers) they know someone who would appreciate it.

I always tip over the minimum. For another total of 20-30 bucks, I'm not going to cry over pennies. It can make a world of difference. I like to use $2 bills. They are perfect for room service or for the my server staff in the MDR each night in addition.

I also give a little extra to the head dining room manger and letting them know how much we are enjoying the cruise. Anytime on a cruise is better than on land!

Some of the wait staff may be Muslim, who may choose not to consume alcohol. Leave a $ tip. Take the remainder of the bottle back to to your room.

If the server is Indonesian, you can pretty much be assured he is Muslim and will not consume alcohol.

I agree....$ for tips!

I think you have a very nice idea, but seeing that wine is so very subjective you have no idea if your server would like the same kind that you enjoy.

Sent from my iPad

If the server is Indonesian, you can pretty much be assured he is Muslim and will not consume alcohol.

I agree....$ for tips!

We've met a number of Indonesians on board that were Christian. I guess you just never know. You can always ask if they or someone they know might appreciate the wine.