Great News

Just saw on WESH news tonight (Orlando) that Port Canaveral is going to spend 80 million on upgrades to the port. This will enable the largest ships in the world to dock at the port. The news didn't identify any ships, but stated the work will be finished in November 2014. Oh yea, the port is 45 minutes from my house. You know what that means.

Just saw on WESH news tonight (Orlando) that Port Canaveral is going to spend 80 million on upgrades to the port. This will enable the largest ships in the world to dock at the port. The news didn't identify any ships, but stated the work will be finished in November 2014. Oh yea, the port is 45 minutes from my house. You know what that means.

Great news,,we are about 2hrs. from the port,,Tampa Bay area...:)

Yahoo! That is very good news :D

This is actually kinda old news. The port improvement work was already underway last year when I last sailed from Port Canaveral. Carnival has already opened their new terminal which is part of the port expansion.

This next phase will be for a new terminal for Royal Caribbean with capabilities to handle an Oasis Class ship.

I hope they get more Oasis Class friendlier ports for you as well.

I can't imagine 5000 people having to shuttle from MCO to Port Canaveral.

On weekends when Royal, Disney, and Carnival all have ships in on a Sunday there are already more than 5000 people moving between Orlando and Port Canaveral......

Plus this number of people is being moved over at least a couple of days due to many folks arriving the day before the cruise.

Edited by Eng23

On weekends when Royal, Disney, and Carnival all have ships in on a Sunday there are already more than 5000 people moving between Orlando and Port Canaveral......

Plus this number of people is being moved over at least a couple of days due to many folks arriving the day before the cruise.

Plus not everyone flies to their cruise.

I just got off Explorer, and was advised she will be going to Port Canaveral next November after when Quantum comes to Bayonne.

While it may not be permanent, she is a lovely ship!

Suzi

Higher Taxes Maybe?

Port Canaveral as a profit center in Brevard County is making money and will continue to grow and make more money.

I live close to the Port and am eagerly waiting for RCI to acknowledge their plans for the new terminal. Since NCL Breakaway was here recently only the Oasis Class ships are bigger relative to using the existing facilities. Quantum is very close in size to Breakaway and slightly larger than Freedom. Time will tell.

Interesting rumor.

What about headquarters?

Do they not have any contractual obligations in Miami?

And it would be real interesting if the rumor were to become a reality....

Speculation should run wild with this rumor....:rolleyes:

Port Canaveral as a profit center in Brevard County is making money and will continue to grow and make more money.

I live close to the Port and am eagerly waiting for RCI to acknowledge their plans for the new terminal. Since NCL Breakaway was here recently only the Oasis Class ships are bigger relative to using the existing facilities. Quantum is very close in size to Breakaway and slightly larger than Freedom. Time will tell.

I'm here as well. I'm no mariner engineer but the turning basin at PC might fit an Oasis class ship but it is going to be super tight. I don't expect an Oasis class ship here unless the channel and turning basin are much bigger. Building a new terminal is not going to bring the largest class of cruise ship to this port.

. . . and move their headquarters to where? A call center in Guatemala?

R&D

Last time I checked, their HQ didn't float and didn't carry any passengers, so why would it have to move?

Edited by orville99

I'm here as well. I'm no mariner engineer but the turning basin at PC might fit an Oasis class ship but it is going to be super tight. I don't expect an Oasis class ship here unless the channel and turning basin are much bigger. Building a new terminal is not going to bring the largest class of cruise ship to this port.
Why does it have to turn around? It could just back out or in! The Mariner did it in San Pedro. Edited by FLACRUISER99