Stern's Jewellery tour in Rio de Janiero

camhaven

We are booked on the Queen Victoria from Rio to Sydney. We've read about a tour Stern's operate in Rio with arrangements being made on the ship before it reaches the port. We are only in Rio for two nights before embarking, but would like to take part in this tour.

Can anyone please let us know how we can register our interest or can we just make our way to Stern's at a certain time and join a tour from the ship?

We are booked on the Queen Victoria from Rio to Sydney. We've read about a tour Stern's operate in Rio with arrangements being made on the ship before it reaches the port. We are only in Rio for two nights before embarking, but would like to take part in this tour.

Can anyone please let us know how we can register our interest or can we just make our way to Stern's at a certain time and join a tour from the ship?

I don't know the answers to your questions, but have you seen the H Stern Rio website?

Apparently you can book tours here http://www.hsterninrio.com/

Usually tours are mentioned in the daily program or in handouts which we receive regularly in our cabins the night before. Should this not be the case, just see the tour office or Stern's shop on board.

Bon voyage!

Usually tours are mentioned in the daily program or in handouts which we receive regularly in our cabins the night before. Should this not be the case, just see the tour office or Stern's shop on board.

Bon voyage!

I think as the OP is embarking on the same day it's going to be difficult for them to join as the tour would have already left before they boarded?

andhow

I think as the OP is embarking on the same day it's going to be difficult for them to join as the tour would have already left before they boarded?

andhow

I can't think of a better way than asking Cunard. It's also possible to contact QV by fax or telephone and get transferred to the tour office.

The risk could be that the tour is completely booked. I would try to contact the tour office of QV via

telephone +1 732 335 3272

or

fax 00 870 764 817-754.

Good luck!

The risk could be that the tour is completely booked. I would try to contact the tour office of QV via

or

fax 00 870 764 817-754.

Good luck!

The tours from Sterns are not Cunard tours - they are something they put on themselves in the hope of getting you to buy from them at the end of your "free" tour.

andhow

or

fax 00 870 764 817-754.

Good luck!

I think this is unlikely as it is a selling tour, probably offering a 30% discount :)

"Book your visit at H.Stern Workshop Tour now."

;)

It would not be worthwhile contacting Cunard. It is nothing to do with them. I dont see how you could arrange it with the people on the boat.

Do as "paulista1950" suggests as they run tours from the hotels etc.

"Book your visit at H.Stern Workshop Tour now."

;)

It would not be worthwhile contacting Cunard. It is nothing to do with them. I dont see how you could arrange it with the people on the boat.

Well, there MUST be some sort of contact between Cunard and Stern, since these tours figure on the daily programs.

Well, there MUST be some sort of contact between Cunard and Stern, since these tours figure on the daily programs.

Stern are a concessionaire on board QM2 so the manager of the shop arranges with whoever prints the daily programme to put in an advertisement for the trip, I'm sure that Cunard aren't involved in any other way.

Stern are a concessionaire on board QM2 so the manager of the shop arranges with whoever prints the daily programme to put in an advertisement for the trip, I'm sure that Cunard aren't involved in any other way.

The daily program is printed on board of the Cunard ships using Cunard's services and maybe others in addition as well. Anyway, before this gets into the usual discussion about who is right and who is wrong, the enquirer now has some information and can decide.

Thanks to a member we are now booked into a Stern's jewelry tour, but just the 20 minute store tour. The Stern's website has no mention of any follow-on tour of Rio sites. The extended tour mentioned by some members must only be available to people already on a cruise ship prior to reaching Rio. Since we only embark in Rio, this doesn't apply to us.

We are a bit upset, but feel great that so many members tried to help us.

camhaven (Ron and Marjorie)

• 2 weeks later...

When on the world cruise, we were told the shuttle service into town had its stop at this jewelers. It was never made clear, which I really resented, that it was the jewelers transportation, unlike all our other ports. Therefore we HAD to walk through the store before we could exit and go off on our own.

I guess it saves Cunard money to not arrange a shuttle in Rio, but I felt it was misleading. While the poster is looking forward to the shopping expedition, we were not, and it's not easy to walk out, it reminds me of walking into an IKEA store, there's no shortcut to the exit.

Trust me, they are not going to run out of spaces if at all possible and they had multiple buses. They wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to sell you jewelry.

Interestingly, although HStern has a shop onboard, they are not on the recommended shops, at least not in St. Thomas. (They are well enough known/established that they don't feel it necessary to 'pay' for the recommendation.) I can't remember how we did the Stern's tour, back on 1999 on the original Royal Princess. But I do know that the other time I was in Rio, the hotel would call the shuttle from the factory to come and pick up. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

I don't recall the exact details, but it seemed to me that the bus pulled into the building itself and you were met as you exited the bus by personnel from the shop. You weren't let off the bus at the street. I suppose if you knew before arrival, you could insist not entering the store.

In 94 days onboard, this was the only shuttle that was run by a retail establishment. Most places had a courtesy shuttle bus to the center of town if you chose not to go on a tour or if you had extra time surrounding your tour.