• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Q&A with Graham Sadler

Sunprince

Some of those questions are not that easy to answer and others should probably not even be there (IMO). The question about why booking air is so complicated is an example of a difficult question to answer. Regent has contracts with airlines but not every seat on every available flight is available for Regent to book. So, there is no way to let people today what their choices will be at the time the flights are booked (which could be anytime between approximately 90 and 270 days prior to embarkation).

Regent Air does not know what is available until the day you either wish to deviate or the day they would normally book your flights. We learned that when we could have had a flight on Lufthansa but waited a couple of weeks and the seats were no longer available. The flight itself had empty seats but the contracted seats were no longer available.

I'm also guessing that questions are being asked that have never even been discussed at Regent (like child free cruises).

In any event, I'm feeling a bit sorry for him.

TC you are much kinder than me. If it was a volunteer vs a senior Regent employee I would have more sympathy, after all this is their job and CC did not force them into hosting Q&A. Nevertheless, I am hoping for some good answers even if a bit slow in coming

As far as the air booking thing is concerned, I think it should be run like a corporate travel program where preferred vendors are loaded into a system and customer/agents select from there. I work for a company with 50000 people worldwide that has many different travel vendors and rates from air/hotel partners all over the world. It's one system with all the preferred corp rates included for anyone needing to book travel. Regent could do something similar...there are some very large companies (I.e. Amex) that have systems for this. Perhaps an idea for Regent.

TC you are much kinder than me. If it was a volunteer vs a senior Regent employee I would have more sympathy, after all this is their job and CC did not force them into hosting Q&A. Nevertheless, I am hoping for some good answers even if a bit slow in coming

As far as the air booking thing is concerned, I think it should be run like a corporate travel program where preferred vendors are loaded into a system and customer/agents select from there. I work for a company with 50000 people worldwide that has many different travel vendors and rates from air/hotel partners all over the world. It's one system with all the preferred corp rates included for anyone needing to book travel. Regent could do something similar...there are some very large companies (I.e. Amex) that have systems for this. Perhaps an idea for Regent.

Your expertise in this area far exceeds mine and I can only hope that Regent will follow the lead of other corporate travel programs.

Think anyone who believes they will get straight answers are sadly mistaken. After reading the very few responses, they are the same double talk lawyer/politician speak that comes thru when and if Regent customer service responds to valid customer concerns.

The sad number of responses and the lack of any solid information is a sad reflection of Regent's typical lack of responsiveness. Ask all you want but, even if you do get a response, it will be like the typical political response on the Sunday talk shows where lots of words say virtually nothing and the answer bears no semblance to the question asked.

Sorry to be so negative but, after about 5 years of cruising and following Regent and PCH, that's what has been the typical corporate attitude.

After reading the very few responses, they are the same double talk lawyer/politician speak that comes thru when and if Regent customer service responds to valid customer concerns.

The sad number of responses and the lack of any solid information is a sad reflection of Regent's typical lack of responsiveness. Ask all you want but, even if you do get a response, it will be like the typical political response on the Sunday talk shows where lots of words say virtually nothing and the answer bears no semblance to the question asked.

Sorry to be so negative but, after about 5 years of cruising and following Regent and PCH, that's what has been the typical corporate attitude.

Hi Dave, I agree. What I don't understand is why the Question/Answer Offer was made in the first place. Angie

In our experience RSSC UK cannot make any decisions (even on fairly minor issues) without referring back to the US office.....

.......a bit like British politicians really (LOL ;))........

......so no doubt Graham is having to wait for his responses to be vetted before posting.

As posted earlier, there are questions being asked that have probably not been addressed previously. There is no real way to answer a question with an unknown answer. He is already being accused of "double talk lawyer/politician speak". He is being kind enough to address our questions. It would respectful to listen and not argue or name call. JMHO.

Further information is always available by calling Regent directly, or better yet...... email them and ask for your email to be forwarded to the manager of the specific area.

As posted earlier, there are questions being asked that have probably not been addressed previously. There is no real way to answer a question with an unknown answer. He is already being accused of "double talk lawyer/politician speak". He is being kind enough to address our questions. It would respectful to listen and not argue or name call. JMHO.

Further information is always available by calling Regent directly, or better yet...... email them and ask for your email to be forwarded to the manager of the specific area.

Jackie- some info provided is incorrect. There have been previous delays in dry dock, etc but he said none. I think the attempt was a good gesture but probably should have had someone else do it.

Jackie- some info provided is incorrect. There have been previous delays in dry dock, etc but he said none. I think the attempt was a good gesture but probably should have had someone else do it.

Agree. There have not been delays in dry dock for a couple of years but there definitely were delays prior to that. As I recall, the delays were related to mechanical fixes rather than simple soft goods upgrades.

Not sure that Regent should have done this at all because, IMO, it is a no win situation.

Not sure that Regent should have done this at all because, IMO, it is a no win situation.

Well, no replies from Mr Sadler for nearly a week.

Perhaps the preponderance of questions which were not addressed to his specific areas of responsibility and the sometimes hostile reactions to his answers have led to a change of heart regarding this initiative?

I can't help feeling that, if this were to be done at all, it would have been better for someone with a broader remit (from Miami) to have put their head above the parapet.

Edited by rarin2go
syntax

Well, no replies from Mr Sadler for nearly a week.

Perhaps the preponderance of questions which were not addressed to his specific areas of responsibility and the sometimes hostile reactions to his answers have led to a change of heart regarding this initiative?

I can't help feeling that, if this were to be done at all, it would have been better for someone with a broader remit (from Miami) to have put their head above the parapet.

As you see, responses have begun again today. I'm sure Regent can be forgiven for the late response due to the emergencies faced by some of their crew. It is the hostile reactions that made me question whether Regent should have opened themselves up to questions.

While it may appear that Mr. Sadler was not the right person to be answering questions, I think it is good to have the U.K. branch visible to us. He no doubt discussed some of the questions with Mr. Kamlani in Miami. While we may not be happy with some of the answers, arguing with them probably will not help. IMO, we need to continue to post our experiences on CruiseCritic where it is read by many managers and officers. and also give feedback while onboard the ships. If more people realized that some of the onboard comment cards are read not only by the G.M. on the ship but at the corporate offices as well, they may take the time to fill them out.

While it may appear that Mr. Sadler was not the right person to be answering questions, ......

With all due respect, that is not what I said. Given that the majority of questions are not specifically aimed at the UK/Europe market which is Mr Sadler's responsibility, I said he was not the best person to answer such questions.

I very much hope that he will address those questions which are within his remit as a priority - although unfortunately this does not seem to be the case at present.

With all due respect, that is not what I said. Given that the majority of questions are not specifically aimed at the UK/Europe market which is Mr Sadler's responsibility, I said he was not the best person to answer such questions.

I very much hope that he will address those questions which are within his remit as a priority - although unfortunately this does not seem to be the case at present.

I agreed that he does not appear to be the right person to answer questions for Regent but also thought that it was good to see/hear a representative from the U.K.

Still not sure why answering questions for CruiseCritic members (who represent about 5% of their customers) should be a priority -- especially given the fact that the majority of the crew on both Regent and Oceania are from the Philippines. IMHO, the concern and priority for Regent is where is should have been for the past week. Not trying to argue -- just very concerned.

I agreed that he does not appear to be the right person to answer questions for Regent but also thought that it was good to see/hear a representative from the U.K.

Still not sure why answering questions for CruiseCritic members (who represent about 5% of their customers) should be a priority -- especially given the fact that the majority of the crew on both Regent and Oceania are from the Philippines. IMHO, the concern and priority for Regent is where is should have been for the past week. Not trying to argue -- just very concerned.

I'm afraid that you have misrepresented my views again. You cannot "agree that he does not appear to be the right person" because that is not what I said - to repeat myself I said that he was not the best person.

And I did not say that answering these questions should take priority over any of Mr Sadler's other concerns or duties - the context makes it quite clear that I meant that answering questions within his remit should take priority over answering questions which are not. I am disappointed that you should think that I would regard his answering these questions as a matter in any way comparable to any duties he might have relating to the Philippines disaster. That would be absurd.:(

I'm afraid that you have misrepresented my views again. You cannot "agree that he does not appear to be the right person" because that is not what I said - to repeat myself I said that he was not the best person.

And I did not say that answering these questions should take priority over any of Mr Sadler's other concerns or duties - the context makes it quite clear that I meant that answering questions within his remit should take priority over answering questions which are not. I am disappointed that you should think that I would regard his answering these questions as a matter in any way comparable to any duties he might have relating to the Philippines disaster. That would be absurd.:(

Sorry -- it appears that we really have miscommunication. I am not understanding you and you are not understanding me and I certainly do not want to argue. Being from the U.S. (married to an Englishman), I am not familiar with the term "remit" other than in terms of making a payment and similar usages. In any case, it sounded to me as though answering questions should be a priority. After 34 years of marriage, our language differences never cease to amaze me!

I have no problem whatsoever with Mr. Sandler answering questions -- many of which are the same for passengers in the U.S. and the U.K. In a perfect scenario (in my opinion), Mr. Kamlani would be the "best" or "right" person to answer questions. I certainly apologize if I offended you.

Edited by Travelcat2

No point in arguing. The fact is that Mr. Sadler was not let off leash. No surprise given the response we get from Miami.

We are big RSSC fans and have another 34 day cruise scheduled, but the response to issues and questions on CC as well as tel calls leaves so much to be desired.

As I said in response to Mr. Sadler, I wish Miami was more user friendly.

Sorry -- it appears that we really have miscommunication. I am not understanding you and you are not understanding me and I certainly do not want to argue. Being from the U.S. (married to an Englishman), I am not familiar with the term "remit" other than in terms of making a payment and similar usages. In any case, it sounded to me as though answering questions should be a priority. After 34 years of marriage, our language differences never cease to amaze me!

I have no problem whatsoever with Mr. Sandler answering questions -- many of which are the same for passengers in the U.S. and the U.K. In a perfect scenario (in my opinion), Mr. Kamlani would be the "best" or "right" person to answer questions. I certainly apologize if I offended you.

As someone once said 'we are two nations divided by a common language'. But only sometimes! Thank you for your gracious words. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk