our travel insurance came through!!

cod

For anyone ever hesitant about buying cruise insurance, I just want to relate that for us it paid off!

We were scheduled to cruise on the Jewel 12/1 which we'd booked months ago.

On 9/16 I had a serious health issue which put me in the hospital for 9 days. I cancelled our cruise when I got back home (darn!) and called Travel Guard about filing a claim for the $500 cancellation fee we were being charged. (Final payment went through on 9/17...wouldn't you know!!)

They emailed the claim forms to me and I filled them all out (one had to be filled out by my doctor) and then opted to mail them back rather than fax them in. I mailed them on the 9th of October and received a check for $500 today. (Instructions said that I must allow 30 days before I could even put in an inquiry and it took the full 30 days...but that's okay.

We've bought insurance for our past several cruises and once in while I'd wonder, 'is this money well spent?' and after this episode I will never have second thoughts again!

Edited by cod

For anyone ever hesitant about buying cruise insurance, I just want to relate that for us it paid off!

On 9/16 I had a serious health issue which put me in the hospital for 9 days. I cancelled our cruise when I got back home (darn!) and called Travel Guard about filing a claim for the $500 cancellation fee we were being charged. (Final payment went through on 9/17...wouldn't you know!!)

They emailed the claim forms to me and I filled them all out (one had to be filled out by my doctor) and then opted to mail them back rather than fax them in. I mailed them on the 9th of October and received a check for $500 today. (Instructions said that I must allow 30 days before I could even put in an inquiry and it took the full 30 days...but that's okay.

We've bought insurance for our past several cruises and once in while I'd wonder, 'is this money well spent?' and after this episode I will never have second thoughts again!

So happy everything worked out for you. Hope you are well on the road to recovery and will be cruising again very soon!:)

Thanks to both responders.

And Terry, I am doing (dare I say) really good. I am knocking on what I hope is real wood as I say this.

I will think of you all at sail-away time and will toast you back...in hope that is a great, safe, healthy and happy cruise for you and your group.

(Will I be forgiven if I mutter a grrrr for not be able to be there too!?lol)

As much as we'd all like guarantees in life, the reality is that there aren't any and unexpected situations arise that impact or prevent a trip. I'm always sure to get coverage for our travels - fortunately haven't had to use it yet, but just knowing that I've got at least one more line of defense is comforting.

Glad to hear your experience worked out - hope you are able to sail again soon!

So glad you had a good experience! Mine has not been so good, but I may try the company you mentioned.

Travel Guard is highly rated, we have used them for years. I called and asked tons of questions before going to Cancun and Playa Del Carmen for three weeks. They indicated not to worry for they have accounts with the hospitals there and they will not ask for your credit card and charge you $5,000 just to see a doctor. Yes you might have to pay a small copay at the hospital, they reimburse in a timely manner. They have relationships with hospitals all over the world, so now we travel with worrying.

Heard on Trip Advisor many good experiences with that company.

CT

I also use Travel Guard, and once had to file a claim for a cruise cancelled two days before sailing. Their staff were so compassionate, and walked me through the entire process. I received my reimbursement in less than two weeks. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up for Travel Guard.

To the OP - glad to know you're on the mend and hope you'll be back on a cruise ship soon!

Just curious, in the past cruises you mentioned, did the insurance you bought for all total up to more or less than the $500 you have refunded?

My husband had a kidney stone on 1 of our cruises and had to spend a whole day in the infirmory. They were so good to him. We also had the insurance and got our money back very fast. We don't leave on a cruise without it. Good advice for all. Hope you get to cruise soon. Stay healthy.

Just curious, in the past cruises you mentioned, did the insurance you bought for all total up to more or less than the $500 you have refunded?

I'm not the OP, but ...

Since 2005 I've spent a total of just over $1,300 on travel insurance. That covered $29,000 worth of travel expense, in addition to providing coverage for injuries or illnesses, and repatriation coverage in substantial amounts. I filed only one claim in all that time, but the $4,900 it reimbursed me proved it was money very well spent. I will never travel without insurance!

First and most important, I am very happy to hear you are on the mend. I am sure there is another cruise in your future.

We never travel without insurance because you just never know what the next day will bring. We have elderly parents that could have issues at any time that could effect us.

Mother Nature also has plans we can't predict, how about hurricane Sandy and all those people who could not go?

Last, peace of mind knowing that if we got sick or hurt on the ship or excursions, we have some backup.

We use Travel Guard because you can insure with pre-existing conditions and the fees are very reasonable.

Insurance is a personal choice but once you have to use the benefits, you see how important it is.

Lynda

I'm not the OP, but ...

Since 2005 I've spent a total of just over $1,300 on travel insurance. That covered $29,000 worth of travel expense, in addition to providing coverage for injuries or illnesses, and repatriation coverage in substantial amounts. I filed only one claim in all that time, but the $4,900 it reimbursed me proved it was money very well spent. I will never travel without insurance!

That was kind of what I was looking for. I am the type who never buys extended warranties and I didn't buy the travelers insurance either. I figure that even though I might need the extended warranty plan on one item and have to pay the repair/replacement myself, over the course of my lifetime, I am ahead by not buying the plan on all purchased items.

That was kind of what I was looking for. I am the type who never buys extended warranties and I didn't buy the travelers insurance either. I figure that even though I might need the extended warranty plan on one item and have to pay the repair/replacement myself, over the course of my lifetime, I am ahead by not buying the plan on all purchased items.

I never bought any insurance until an incident happened about 8 years ago with my parents. They were going on a river cruise in Europe and my Dad fell and fractured a rib which punctured his lung the morning of the cruise departure. He spent 3 weeks in a Brussels hospital and my Mom stayed in a local hotel. They had cruise/travel insurance and it paid for everything including my mothers expenses in the hotel and her meals. It also paid for my dad to fly home with a nurse and first class. The total bill was over $70,000 and my parents paid nothing. They also got back what they paid for the river cruise as well. I never have traveled without travel insurance since.

Terry, after reading about your parents experience, any insurance buying nay-sayers must be rethinking their reasoning. (I hope your parents are well and still cruising!)

I know we never bought it the first few years we went cruising just because we were younger and healthier and, yes, thought it was a waste of money. But the more you cruise (and the emergencies heard about at sea) PLUS what you read about on these boards certainly gives one pause.

When I worked pt-time at a travel agency a few years ago, TravelGuard was what we sold. For the couple of cruises we went on while I worked there, I did buy insurance. I think that was the first time we did and partly it was because I got a discount!

Now I book with an online agency and they happen to offer TravelGuard insurance at a very reasonable rate compared to what I would pay if I bought it directly from TravelGuard. And now that we are older and wiser, I would never cruise without it!!

Glad to hear your travel experience went well, and most importantly you are better.

We had to cancel a cruise once due to a broken foot which required surgery. The insurance paid essentially everything. We were only out the cost of the premium.

We now always travel with insurance.

COD,

I tell that story about my parents whenever I hear someone say travel insurance is for fools and idiots. My sister is a travel agent and she tells the story of a client who never bought insurance but she told him our parent's story and for the first time he bought it for a cruise. He had a heart attack while at sea and had to be medevac'd off the ship. The cost was almost $30,000 and the insurance covered it all. He told my sister that that insurance premium of $150 saved him from bankruptcy.

My parents are now in their late 80's and doing OK for their age, but unfortunately, their days of traveling very far are over. They live outside of Austin Texas and we are going to retire next year and move back to Texas to be closer to them.

BTW you and your DH are still invited to join our pre cruise party in Gretna on the 30th, hope you can make it.

Edited by terrydtx

good to hear a good news story that it worked out

We never travel without insurance and make sure it covers cruises

A friend was taken ill on the plane to the cruise and the insurance really paid off - he was taken care of in a foreign country, his family looked after and they even liaised with the ship too - well worth it

Edited by Tiggertastic

Terry, I'm glad your parents are doing okay and though not able to travel much anymore, I'm sure they have lots of memories to fall back on. (As will be the case with us one of these days...I hope!!)

Someone asked what we'd spent over time on insurance and I don't have a clue. BUT this particular cruise, insurance wise, worked out this way.

Our cruise total was $1394.80 for a highest oceanview category cabin. (And we had a sizeable OBC that I couldn't wait to spend....what is it they say about 'the best laid plans'?!) Anyway, all I insured was the cruise total as we live close to NO and drive in the-day-of. The insurance cost was $111.58 and it was a TravelGuard Gold policy based on our ages of 72 and 73. I consider that reasonable considering the gold policy coverage and it certainly was money well spent in this instance. The insurance cost through this particular online agency is what will keep us going back to them, even if I were to see a lower price somewhere else. (Though honestly, that has yet to happen)

I hope I'm not giving info that is tabu between travelers. I think it is good to know all the options available but anyone who likes their agent - be it NCL or a travel agency or an online agency - should keep them. But anyone just looking, can and should consider all options.

Terry, I appreciate your reminding me about the pre-cruise dinner your group is having. If DH is up to it, we would like to go. I will be in touch. (Thanks again!)