Norwegian Fjords

maui6284

We took this cruise on the Symphony 2 years ago and while all of our 6 cruises to date on the Symphony have been great, this may have been the best one. The scenery is spectacular, the ports were interesting and quite different from the average cruise ports. Visiting the North Cape during the day and then sailing past it at midnight where the sun never sets and viewing it from the Palm Court with fellow passengers was an experience we will never forget. For some of the smaller ports, we just walked around on our own or took the hop on/hop off bus. For other ports we took the ship's excursions (which we rarely do) and we were not disappointed. There has already been a lot written about this cruise and itinerary by others so if you search this board under Norwegian Fjords you can probably find their input. Frankly, I'm surprised that no one has responded yet to your plea. Maybe everyone is too preoccupied with the policy change debate for the specialty restaurants but you can't go wrong with the cruise you are planning. You will enjoy it.

Thank you Jssabs for the comments. We have sailed on Symphony and Serenity both twice, but this will be our longest cruise. The scenery looks incredible. I will also check on the Europe board.

I just posted more items as a follow-up on the below live/blog. Check back to your earlier posting there, let me know more on your interests, added questions. Below are just two pictures as a sampler for others considering travel along that super scenic region of the world. Wonderful areas and sights up and down that coast.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 123,515 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

I wish I knew how to make mine HUGE like Terry's. Seeing them so small isn't quite as impressive.

Becky, what I do is I have another url via blogger (I call it photos) and I post them there. Then I click on a photo and copy and past the url and post it here. I do the same for each photo and that is how I can show them at a larger size or as jazzbeau said you can use something like shutterfly or as Terry does use photo bucket

This is an example.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nikWpWCiOMs/UiUI5wgBJWI/AAAAAAAAgFs/I-DYj5Ykbww/s1600/DSCN2432.jpg

Either way works well.

Keith

I wish I knew how to make mine HUGE like Terry's. Seeing them so small isn't quite as impressive.

Appreciate the good comments and suggestions from Keith and jazz beau. For Liv4cruzin, you wish is my pleasure to serve up. Here are more details. Plus, a few more examples of Norway Coast "eye-candy". It's dinner time, right??

For posting larger photos to these boards, your FIRST STEP is pick an outside web source that will store or “host” your pictures to be posted. Cruise Critic does not have the space to do larger pictures on their site. You can check such places as photobucket.com, imageshack.com, photoshow.com, flickr.com, picasa.google.com etc. I’ve used photobucket.com and have been pleased with how they upload, etc. SECOND, you need to make an export of your picture in a size such as around 1000 pixel wide by about 700 to your desktop of your computer. That’s the approximate size that I use for this purpose. If you make your file too big for posting, then it slows the process and takes long to upload, etc. THIRD, you use this outside web host to which you upload these different pictures sitting on your desktop. FOURTH, after uploading each picture, you will make a copy of that imbedded address in your file for future posting purposes. It will have have the square parentheses or bracket symbols before and after the capital letter IMG at the start and end of this location on your photo storage site.

Then as you want to post each different picture, you would, FIFTH STEP, copy and paste that imbedded address file for each picture as a part of your message on the CC Boards. In my files, I also have brief written description of each picture and have them grouped by the different city or country locations. With this imbedded file address, the reader on these boards doesn’t have to check on anything or paste to their web browser. It just pops up showing the picture. Does this help? Let us know how it works out and/or any added questions. It will hopefully pop up as these couple of pictures do below. You can preview your post to see if it's working OK before doing the actual post to these CC boards.

If Venice is one of your key, future stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had 31,431 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

We did this on Serenity two years ago. One of the best cruises ever.

One slight disappointment, however, was that we were supposed to journey to the Arctic Circle and had to call off the trip halfway there due to foggy weather. Seems like this part of the trip is a roll of the dice - so be prepared. Otherwise, a fantastic trip traversing glaciers and sailing through fjords.

Fantastic pictures Terry! Thanks. I'm drooling over a Norway Fjords cruise, but have to wait until 2016 to work through all the existing bookings [:(, but it's a good kind of :(]

CruiserM1: Thank you so very much for posting these breath taking photos! Norway really is the best kept secret!

Flash G: We did this on Serenity two years ago. One of the best cruises ever. One slight disappointment' date=' however, was that we were supposed to journey to the Arctic Circle and had to call off the trip halfway there [b']due to foggy weather. Seems like this part of the trip is a roll of the dice[/b] - so be prepared. Otherwise, a fantastic trip traversing glaciers and sailing through fjords.

Appreciate these nice and kind comments. Trust me, the "real thing" is much better than my visuals.

During our bridge tour on our last sea day, we had a chance to chat in detail with the Captain and get many various questions answered. He told us about the large red pepper that hangs on the bridge that is an Italian good luck charm. He said that he got a larger one to bring better luck. That “system” was working well with the weather we had on this cruise. From all of his past cruises up along the Norway Coast, many with other cruise lines, he said that July is always the best month and that the weather on our trip was the best he had ever experienced here in this routing. Rates and options, as an example, might be cheaper in May, but your odds get longer for getting the best weather. Consider your weather/timing as a key factor to help get more enjoyments from cruising these areas.

KEY NORWAY COAST QUESTION: Your major challenge is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

Below are a few more "eye candy" examples from these wonderful areas. More details on the live/blog with lots of added pictures there. Let me know any added questions, comments.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 123,745 views.

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

On the Bridge deck, the Captain is answering questions during our tour.:

BridgeCaptainDiscussing.jpg

Oops, maybe a little too big!

Congratulations!! Looking very good. Keep up the good work.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 123,745 views.

At first I thought this itinerary would be a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity. Just seeing all that natural beauty again, makes me want more.

Terry, FYI........I recognize the Bergen fish monger in the dark sweater & cap in your photo. I wanted to bring back a good bit of smoked salmon; & he educated me on how the flavor can vary from head to tail. He let me sample several sections for different fish. And when I found the perfect specimen, he wrapped & sealed several packages for me. It was soooo much better ("buttery" smooth") than anything I'd ever tasted in the states. Unfortunately, it never made it to the freezer. It was all gone w/in a week of returning home. I think I should go back for more?

At first I thought this itinerary would be a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity. Just seeing all that natural beauty again, makes me want more. Terry, FYI........I recognize the Bergen fish monger in the dark sweater & cap in your photo. I wanted to bring back a good bit of smoked salmon; & he educated me on how the flavor can vary from head to tail. He let me sample several sections for different fish. And when I found the perfect specimen, he wrapped & sealed several packages for me. It was soooo much better ("buttery" smooth") than anything I'd ever tasted in the states. Unfortunately, it never made it to the freezer. It was all gone w/in a week of returning home. I think I should go back for more?

latsyrc: Thanks for the pictures Becky and Dave' date=' looks fabulous. July 2014 - 8 months to go. Caryll [/quote']

Good luck to Caryll in doing that eight month wait. Time will fly by fast, kind of, maybe. We booked 21 months ahead of our mid January Australia to NZ cruise. Now, it's less than two months until we are flying to Hawaii and Australia. Time does go by fairly fast.

Appreciate the posting about your education and food success from the Bergen Fish Market. Yes, that's a fun, interesting site in a charming, historic city. Glad to learn more for how well things worked out. Below is another visual from that great location. YES, you need to go back for more!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silversea's Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 124,070 views.

Here is another view of the “action” in Fish Market that is right next to Bergen’s main harbor.:

BergenMoreFishOptions.jpg