Special diet

I'm on a low sodium diet. If I ask for that kind of diet before cruising, how will they manage my request? Will I be offered only one choice at each meal?

Is the food very salty in the MDR? As much as in a chain restaurant?:eek:

I'll be on vacation, i want to have some fun too!;)

Thanks!

I'm on a low sodium diet. If I ask for that kind of diet before cruising, how will they manage my request? Will I be offered only one choice at each meal?

Is the food very salty in the MDR? As much as in a chain restaurant?:eek:

I'll be on vacation, i want to have some fun too!;)

Thanks!

In the past they have showed us the menu for the next evening and My husband would pick what he wanted and they would prepared it low sodium for him.

We sat with a lady on a low sodium diet on the first night of our last cruise. She explained to the waiter and he helped her order. Then, the head waiter came over with the following night's menu. When she asked for items that were not on the menu (a simple green salad with oil and vinegar, steamed vegetables, plainly cooked chicken), they had no problem obliging her.

Ships vary in the amount of salt they use. Just off the infinity and food was seasoned well...spicy was spicy. On the millenium earlier this year, the only seasoning we tasted was salt. However all ships will accomodate special diets quite well.

Although du vent... is clear about the special diet they need, based on personal experience, Let me define the difference between special diet and "special"diet because some apparently don't understand. A special diet is a menu of choices that meet generally recognized special diets...salt free, vegetarian, gluten free and so on. Celebrity does quite well with these even having special menus for some...in both the mdr and blu (I can't address the special restaurants)

Some, however, believe that a "special" diet is whatever they feel they want to eat that night...so vegetarian with a set of choices isn't adequate...they want a grilled portobello mushroom. Others are on some special, self selected diet, and want the kitchen to adapt to that diet. If you fall into one of these categories, well prepare to be disappointed...it's not really your private kitchen.

As long as your requests are reasonable, the kitchen will work with you....

Edited by ghstudio

I too am just off the Infinity (24th Oct T.A)

2 of our table companions complained that the French Onion soup was too salty.

I thought it to be fine, although as I am Lactose Free, I was ordering it without cheese.

Our Maître 'D, David, came to our table with a bowl, which he tasted.

He said yes it was slightly salty and there had been a number of complaints that evening. He also pointed out that by adding the cheese, it became more salty.

He obviously reported to the kitchen, as there were no more complaints!

BTW, I pre ordered every night and recipes without the Lactose free symbol i.e French Onion Soup, were adapted. I also had a lactose free sweet made for me every night, except the first, when I had the sorbet.

If you're on a cruise ship - from any line - the food tends to vary from well-seasoned (salty) to VERY SALTY.

Aside from the obvious out-right forbidden foods, its been my experience that you have to be very vigilant because salt shows up in the most unexpected foods. For instance, your morning oatmeal will be seasoned with salt unless you are able to arrange for the MDR to make a small batch for you without salt. Eggs are almost always salted too. There's a lot of good healthy food on a cruise - you just have to seek it out.

Thanks a lot Wallie5446 for the link.

Baggal, I understand that I have to staw away from everything already pre-mixed.

Ghstudio, of course It won't be like at home and it is my problem not theirs, sauces and dressings on the side, no salt added etc...

Jackie and Adrian, thanks for your post.

Josée

Josee, you are welcome. I will say this, this will be our 1st sailing with Celebrity since we found out she had Celiac. We always thought it was because we loved the food options on ship so much :D We have sailed with RCCL a number of time since, and they have been WONDERFUL! Princess last yr was ok, but no where near Royal. Since Celebrity is the 'up line' we are expecting even better from them than we had on Royal.

Edited by wallie5446

• 2 weeks later...