Breakfast in Blu on Port Days: Is there time?

Ship: The Summit

Cabin: Aqua Class

Itinerary: Southern Caribbean, port intensive

My Question: Are the breakfast hours in Blu compatible with early shore excursions on port days?

Thanks in advance for input from anyone who has been able to use Blu for breakfast on days when they have a morning shore excursion.

We found the service to be extremely good in Blu -- but not quick. However, better than in the main dining room. You could probably mention that you have a tour and they would probably go out of their way to get you out in time. Just tell the hostess that seats you. If not ordering something on the complicated side and mentioning you have a time frame to adhere by, I am sure you will be served pronto and on your way.

It probably depends on your excursions schedule. I just checked the dailies for two cruises over the last year.

An Eclipse cruise in the Caribbean last March had Blu opening at 8AM on sea days and 7AM on port days. Most port stops were scheduled at 8AM so that gave an extra hour at most. One port stop was at 7AM which left no time for Blu if you were getting off the ship ASAP.

On a Silhouette cruise last December, a TA with 4 early morning port stops in Europe, Blu opened at 7:30 on port days. Too late for early excursions at one stop where we scheduled to arrive at 7:00AM, and a half hour prior to the other three ports where we arrived at 8AM. Blu opened at 8AM on sea days.

Personally, we seldom have breakfast in the dining room or buffet when we have an early excursion. We usually eat light breakfasts those days as we usually enjoy a nice lunch on shore. With rare exception we'll have a light room service breakfast.

Edited by Lsimon

Recently returned from the Solstice and Blu had a line of people waiting before they opened on port days. Every port day they were extremely busy and service was slower than normal. The last port day we got to Blu about 7:35-7:40a.m. They were quoting 45 mins to 1 hour wait. We did not have an excursion so we returned 45 mins later, people were still arriving and being told there was a wait but by then it was only about 5-10 mins

I have never experienced that type of situation in Blu on any previous cruise. Guess so many have posted about how great breakfast in Blu is that their morning business has increased😳

I recommend keeping an eye on the daily posting in TODAY as we were caught out by the few different hours operated by Blu. The norm. Is 7am port days and 8pm sea days even if the boat is not docking until 10am. We missed breakfast due to the queue when the boat docked at 10am in Kusadasi . We just assumed it would be 8am till 9.30 am.

Blu opens at 6.30 am on disembarkation day and they will rush you through if you ask, advising what to order to help move things along.

One of the nicest things I have ever witnesses on a Celebrity ship occurred on the Reflection on disembarkation day. An very elderly lady was being ' encouraged to choose a quicker breakfast than normal, she got upset. She couldn't cope with not having her ' normal ' breakfast. Blu staff arranged for the porter to collect her and her wheelchair from the dinning room and a waiter sat with her whilst her family returned to their cabins and collected all their things.

I ended up just order room service because of how slow the service was in Blu. And based on how bad the pancakes were in Blu (think over sized hockey puck), the food was better.

I am roaring! I had made the same comment about the hockey pucks. But here is what to do. Load it up with melted butter and syrup and it will taste better. But I don't know if you want to eat pancakes when going ashore as you could get the calling. Actually, I order the omelets with REAL eggs in Blu. The ones with the liquid eggs were as bad as the hockey pucks!

Blu does open earlier on port days and we get there early and never had a problem with our excursions.

We did breakfast in BLU most days on Summit. No problem making our excursions. They open at different times based upon the arrival in port.

Note that you often actually arrive early into most ports and can usually get off the ship well before the announced time. Just head down to the gangplank and if the ship is cleared, you can get off and start exploring. (This was especially true in St. Thomas each time we've been there).