Diappointment with the Westerdam

lmentzer

A llittle research on this board should have alerted you to the fact that HAL is indeed usually chosen by the MORE MATURE cruiser. But I find older folks interesting to talk to and learn from.

I haven't cruised extensively (only 8 on Carnival, RCCI, Princess, Celebrity, NCL [2] and HAL [2]) and I prefer HAL decor and understated elegance over any of the other lines glitz and MODERN decor, with rock climbing walls, ice skaing rinks, etc.

HAL in my opinion has always tried to be more of an ocean voyage, than just a cruise. Lots of wood and brass with simple Navy and White color scheme. Wooden deck chairs as well as a wooden promenade deck that encircles the ship without any up/down deck changes. Fresh flowers all around the ship. And the biggest cabins and best beds at sea.

On my two cruises on HAL, the crew has always been wonderful. If there was any problem, it was always taken care of quickly and with a smile. If you couldn't find your room steward or the clean up wasn't done after speaking to them, you should definitely have searched out the Hotel Director. Dirty items are never acceptable.

Sounds like you really liked Carnival, and that might be a better fit for you.

Not everyone has the same likes and dislikes.

Just a tip, if you didn't like the older crowd with walkers and scooters on HAL, don't ever think about Celebrity, there were a ton more on my cruise of New England/Canada on Celebrity Constellation.

Hope you have better cruises in your future!

We were on the Jazz chartered and debarked on Oct 19; I'm struggling to recall the boat we were on that is described above. At the beginning I asked for 2 daily programs and extra ice, gave an additional "thank you" and had both items daily. Yes, wine is expensive; that's why we brought our own. As for being served at the buffet - I don't mind at all; I'm sure it cuts down tremendously on waste. Elderly people? I hope to be one of them one day and still traveling.

It is too bad you didn't have a good experience. And I wouldn't have liked a dirty room either... maybe that affected the entire perspective.

Sorry to hear of your less than enjoyable experience on the Westerdam. But having just gotten off that ship 52 hours ago, some sort of transformation must have taken place in the ship between mid-October and early November

We could not have enjoyed our cruise on her more. There were 4 of us, my wife, my 15 y/o ds and 11 y/o dd. The ship was spotless everywhere we looked, cleaning was constantly going on. Our room stewards were wonderful, they kept our room perfect.

Just a tip, if you didn't like the older crowd with walkers and scooters on HAL, don't ever think about Celebrity, there were a ton more on my cruise of New England/Canada on Celebrity Constellation.

Absolutely true!! Recently was on our fist Celebrity cruise and have to say the demographic there was a lot older than on any of our HAL cruises.

Sorry to hear of your less than enjoyable experience on the Westerdam. It is so disappointing to put much planning and much money into a trip and not have it live up to expectations. I've been there more that I wish. But having just gotten off that ship 52 hours ago, some sort of transformation must have taken place in the ship between mid-October and early November.

We could not have enjoyed our cruise on her more. There were 4 of us, myself, my wife, my 15 y/o ds and 11 y/o dd.

I happened to enjoy the understated elegance of the ship and its size. I knew I was on a ship.

The ship was spotless everywhere we looked, cleaning was constantly going on. Our room stewards were wonderful, they kept our room perfect. I spoke to them probably 3-4 times a day. Any time we met we were asked to please let them know if we needed anything or if there were any issues. They kept our room perfect. We were in one of the large interior staterooms (1054). Ample space for the four of us for the amount of time we spent in the room.

The rest of the ship was spotless as well. The crew was constantly cleaning, everywhere. We saw painting going on the entire cruise to the outside of the ship. Late one night I couldn't sleep and went up to the atrium on deck 3 to read about midnight. I parked myself in a comfortable chair, and watched a young man wipe down every table and chair that he could with cleaner and disinfectant. I heard someone (some sort of head waiter) politely but sternly chastise a steward working in the Lido buffet for not discarding something (not sure what, I couldn't hear whole conversation, sorry I was eavesdropping) that had hit the floor that he was cleaning with. The head waiter had watched him do it. They did tolerate unsanitary practices. The effort I saw in the crew and the pride they took in their work was impressive. I realize it is indeed possible to have a bad apple in every basket, but I can't help but believe from what I saw on the Westerdam, that if your issues with your room cleanliness would have been taken up with the hotel management, it would have been resolved.

Don't get me wrong. The Westerdam was not perfect. The ship has rust, worn areas, etc. exterior-wise, but what 10 year old ship in the ocean does not? If cruise lines constantly repaired and replaced everything that got a bit worn, cruises would cost twice as much. These issues did nothing to detract from the enjoyment of the cruise.

It was indeed a more "mature" crowd than the RCI and Carnival cruises we have been on. I knew that when I booked the cruise, it was not hard to find the demographics of the passengers via the internet. My kids were two of the only 26 that were on board. But they had a great time doing absolutely nothing!!

Yes we saw more wheelchairs and walkers and scooters than we have on other cruises. But I think one lady in a wheelchair caused to take about one minute longer to get back on the ship at Grand Turk. Other than that they were of no consequence. I admired the spirit of the some of the much older crowd that were doing their best to travel and stay active as long as they could. The two rude folks that stood out on the ship were a "gentleman" in his early fifties that jumped all over a steward up by the Lido Pool that picked up his towel that had his shirt wrapped in it (the steward had no way of knowing that), and a twenty-something "lady" that griped out the server at

the Lido buffet sandwich station because the rye bread was dry. Jerks come in all shapes, sizes, income levels, and ages.

Our cruise this past week (our first HAL) made us truly appreciate the quieter, slightly more refined, cruise experience. Our conversation on the way home was one of planning the next relaxation vacation, possibly on even a smaller ship with a longer itinerary. We loved our cruise on the Westerdam. She is one Jekyll and Hyde ship.

Absolutely true!! Recently was on our fist Celebrity cruise and have to say the demographic there was a lot older than on any of our HAL cruises.

We routinely cruise both HA and Celebrity and can relate an amusing tale about a cruise (last year) on the Silhouette. There were an awful lot of scooters on that particular cruise and one evening the waiters borrowed the scooters of all the passengers in the MDR and had a "scooter parade" around the MDR. It was a real "hoot" and much more fun then the waiters singing "Ol Sole Mio" or some other silly song. Come to think of it, we do not recall anyone posting the lyrics from the birthday song we hear on HA ships :)

Hank

Maybe next time you see someone in a wheelchair or walker, you could consider them an inspiration. And hope to yourself that if or when you become in need of mobility aids, you still have the enthusiasm for life to continue travelling.

WOW!!!! Nicely said!!!! So very inspirational!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear of your less than enjoyable experience on the Westerdam. It is so disappointing to put much planning and much money into a trip and not have it live up to expectations. I've been there more that I wish. But having just gotten off that ship 52 hours ago, some sort of transformation must have taken place in the ship between mid-October and early November.

We could not have enjoyed our cruise on her more. There were 4 of us, myself, my wife, my 15 y/o ds and 11 y/o dd.

I happened to enjoy the understated elegance of the ship and its size. I knew I was on a ship.

The ship was spotless everywhere we looked, cleaning was constantly going on. Our room stewards were wonderful, they kept our room perfect. I spoke to them probably 3-4 times a day. Any time we met we were asked to please let them know if we needed anything or if there were any issues. They kept our room perfect. We were in one of the large interior staterooms (1054). Ample space for the four of us for the amount of time we spent in the room.

The rest of the ship was spotless as well. The crew was constantly cleaning, everywhere. We saw painting going on the entire cruise to the outside of the ship. Late one night I couldn't sleep and went up to the atrium on deck 3 to read about midnight. I parked myself in a comfortable chair, and watched a young man wipe down every table and chair that he could with cleaner and disinfectant. I heard someone (some sort of head waiter) politely but sternly chastise a steward working in the Lido buffet for not discarding something (not sure what, I couldn't hear whole conversation, sorry I was eavesdropping) that had hit the floor that he was cleaning with. The head waiter had watched him do it. They did tolerate unsanitary practices. The effort I saw in the crew and the pride they took in their work was impressive. I realize it is indeed possible to have a bad apple in every basket, but I can't help but believe from what I saw on the Westerdam, that if your issues with your room cleanliness would have been taken up with the hotel management, it would have been resolved.

Don't get me wrong. The Westerdam was not perfect. The ship has rust, worn areas, etc. exterior-wise, but what 10 year old ship in the ocean does not? If cruise lines constantly repaired and replaced everything that got a bit worn, cruises would cost twice as much. These issues did nothing to detract from the enjoyment of the cruise.

It was indeed a more "mature" crowd than the RCI and Carnival cruises we have been on. I knew that when I booked the cruise, it was not hard to find the demographics of the passengers via the internet. My kids were two of the only 26 that were on board. But they had a great time doing absolutely nothing!!

Yes we saw more wheelchairs and walkers and scooters than we have on other cruises. But I think one lady in a wheelchair caused to take about one minute longer to get back on the ship at Grand Turk. Other than that they were of no consequence. I admired the spirit of the some of the much older crowd that were doing their best to travel and stay active as long as they could. The two rude folks that stood out on the ship were a "gentleman" in his early fifties that jumped all over a steward up by the Lido Pool that picked up his towel that had his shirt wrapped in it (the steward had no way of knowing that), and a twenty-something "lady" that griped out the server at

the Lido buffet sandwich station because the rye bread was dry. Jerks come in all shapes, sizes, income levels, and ages.

Our cruise this past week (our first HAL) made us truly appreciate the quieter, slightly more refined, cruise experience. Our conversation on the way home was one of planning the next relaxation vacation, possibly on even a smaller ship with a longer itinerary. We loved our cruise on the Westerdam. She is one Jekyll and Hyde ship.

Thank you so much for you lovely unbiased review of your cruise..Agree the Westerdam is an older ship & shows some of her age..But don't belive any of the HAL ships would be good fit for the OP... Perhaps she would be better off sailing only brand new very large cruise ships which can't get into some of the exciting ports that HAL goes into..Obviously some people have no idea of the work involved in keeping a ship in Pristine condition.. We are boaters & know what sea air & water can do overnight!

A REAL OLD Gentleman once said:

“You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.” AL

Maybe next time you see someone in a wheelchair or walker, you could consider them an inspiration. And hope to yourself that if or when you become in need of mobility aids, you still have the enthusiasm for life to continue travelling.

Thank you Friend.. I could not have said it any better!

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Applauding your response. Well said!!!!

If I experienced a cabin or a hotel room in this condition it would be of little consolation to be told by the captain/manager. that it would be updated in six months time.

Rather, I would be wondering why it was not updated six months ago. This is exactly the issue that is all too common on HAL...postponed maintenance, ie sub standard maintenance.

Edited by iancal

Somehow I think that the OP will vote with his/her feet.

Cannot blame him/her. Most of us would probably do exactly the same. It is not like a bad restaurant meal where you are not risking much by trying it again. Once you are on the ship there is no going back...for however long the cruise is.

This is the big challenge for the hospitality industry.

People have high expectations-especially after visiting vendor websites. When you have these expectations and then walk into a cabin in poor condition and with tattered furnishings it does not encourage you to take another cruise with that cruise line or that particular ship.

I think most people would tend to try another cruise line. It is just human nature.

A comment from the Captain about a refit in six months time would do absolutely nothing to encourage me to sail again-actually it would have the opposite effect.

Edited by iancal

Somehow I think that the OP will vote with his/her feet.

Cannot blame him/her. Most of us would probably do exactly the same. It is not like a bad restaurant meal where you are not risking much by trying it again. Once you are on the ship there is no going back...for however long the cruise is.

This is the big challenge for the hospitality industry.

People have high expectations-especially after visiting vendor websites. When you have these expectations and then walk into a cabin in poor condition and with tattered furnishings it does not encourage you to take another cruise with that cruise line or that particular ship.

I think most people would tend to try another cruise line. It is just human nature.

A comment from the Captain about a refit in six months time would do absolutely nothing to encourage me to sail again-actually it would have the opposite effect.

The op basically complained about everything under the sun. He left out that he didn't like the navy blue color of the hull.

Going with your theory. Hal would have to have a full time furniture factory down in the bowels of the ship with hundreds of workers working 24/7 to make sure you never see a worn arm on a chair.

Edited by Wakepatrol

It really does not matter what I or anyone else thinks of the OP's issues.

The only thing that matters is the OP's perception of reality vs. expectation. That will decide where he or she spends vacation money next time. Chances are it will not be with HAL.

There is an old saying. A satisfied customer tells one person. A dis-satisfied customer tells 9 people.

Clearly, some other cruisers must have thought that the furniture/fittings/soft goods were past their 'sell by date' if they raised the question in a Q&A with the Captain...and the Captain responded by saying the ship was scheduled for a complete make over in six months.

Edited by iancal

Wakepatrol is right, my post was all the negatives. There were some good things about this cruise also. The Panama Canal transit was terrific. It made it worth the cruise. Our visits to Puerto Vallarta and Puerto Chipas were fine, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica was okay, and our visit to Cartagena was great, although we booked a private tour there that allowed us to probably see more and do more than the HAL sponsored tour did. We missed stopping in Huatalco due to a storm, but we didn't have big plans for that port anyway.

The staff on the ship were all very friendly. We got to know a couple of the bartenders and they told us about their lives on the ship with very long hours and 10 month contracts that kept them away from their homes that long. My heart goes out to those Filipino staff who I'm sure are very worried about their families back home that had to go through the typhoon. I hope their family and friends made it through okay.

We found things to do on the ship, such as trivia, cooking demos which could have been better. but were okay, lectures, and some of the entertainment, such as the Blues Band which were great.

We met a number of very nice people. A British couple that we spent some time with, a couple at the next table to us in the MDR celebrating a 85th birthday, and others that we had the chance to sit and talk with.

There were nice areas of the ship like the Crows Nest which was very nice. I guess when you have a ten year old ship that cruises continuously, you should expect lots of wear and tear (which this ship had).

There were other little things that were good, like the comfort of the beds, nice towels, good air conditioning, and good food (although bland). I've already commented on the negatives so I won't go further.

Will we cruise on the Westerdam again - not a chance. Will we cruise with Holland America again - probably not. Will we cruise again - almost for sure. We're not frequent cruisers like many on this forum, but we've traveled much of the world, and the occassional cruise is great.

We were on the Westerdam on Oct 19th sailing through the canal and we loved everything about the ship, its crew the fun passengers we met and we thought it was a great cruise and this was cruise #55 for us but only #3 on HAL, so we have lots and lots of ships to compare.

Sue

It really does not matter what I or anyone else thinks of the OP's issues.

The only thing that matters is the OP's perception of reality vs. expectation. That will decide where he or she spends vacation money next time. Chances are it will not be with HAL.

There is an old saying. A satisfied customer tells one person. A dis-satisfied customer tells 9 people.

Clearly, some other cruisers must have thought that the furniture/fittings/soft goods were past their 'sell by date' if they raised the question in a Q&A with the Captain...and the Captain responded by saying the ship was scheduled for a complete make over in six months.

Yes the captain gave him an answer about the soft goods. There's an old saying "Give People An Answer,And They'll Go away" what else would he have said?

We're picking up all new furniture in Huatulco

The elves are down below making coffee tables as we speak

It is what it is. We spoke with the front desk folks but while they were polite, they were no help. We recognize that little could be done during the cruise. But one of the main features of this forum is to advise others that might want to cruise with Holland America, or any other cruise line or ship, on what they could possibly expect. Let the buyer beware.

Nicely said, we could all be there someday, and I hope I will be able to keep on traveling.

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your cruise.

We sailed the Westie last year happily and we were surprised by how much we enjoyed her as we typically prefer the smaller ships.

Our stewards were excellent as was the service in the MDR and the PG.

Such a shame that you did not receive the service we did.

We were on the same cruise that Kazu was on, and spoke to each other every morning in the Neptune, after meeting at the CC Meet and Greet. But like Kazu, we prefer the smaller ships, too, such as Maasdam. Westerdam was a GREAT cruise, though -- a simply marvelous experience from start to finish, although I'm pretty much HAL exclusive the last twenty or so years or more. I'm sorry, Imentzer, that you didn't have a good experience, but do try HAL again. Sometimes things "get off" on the wrong foot, especially in the beginning, but please give it another chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed, as they have something for everyone.