What Are Some Of Your Favorite Foods For Dinner

Keith1010

We've had a lot of great suggestions for breakfast foods (including some breakfast drinks) so what are some of your favorite items for dinner whether you dine at the Crystal Dining Room, Prego, Silk Road, Tastes (on Serenity), or even order room service.

Include whatever you enjoy whether that is an appetizer, salad, entree, dessert, and yes even a beverage. :)

Share as many as you would like.

Keith

OK, I will start but not all in one post.

I will begin with appetizers

Prego: Often I do not have an appetizer but when I do it is the additional pasta entree where we ask for a very small taste as an appetizer.

Silk Road: The Nobo Sashimi Specials. They are all terrific.

Crystal Dining Room: Tuna Tartare for me prepared by the Headwaiter. Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail for Anne Marie.

Keith

I was shocked at how juicy the veal chop was. Nice and thick, on the bone, done perfectly medium-rare (don't be afraid of "undercooked" pork...in modern times there's no significant health issue that isn't present with similarly cooked beef...unless you're in a third-world country). yum, yum.

Perfect thread considering we will be boarding the Symphony this coming weekend! First thing that comes to mind is mushroom soup in Prego and possibly an appetizer size portion of pasta! We aren't huge dessert people, but we did design our own dessert last year on the Serenity--grand marnier creme brûlée!

Will be watching this thread for more ideas :)

I will move onto Salads.

Silk Road - Mushroom Salad. It has a unique recipe and I enjoy how the mushrooms are served warm on top of the salad.

Crystal Dining Room - I like just about every salad they serve. I often ask for a simple salad. Once in awhile though, we will ask the Head Waiter to prepare a Caesar Salad for us table side. Each head waiter has there own way of doing this, particularly in terms of the amount of seasoning they use and we have enjoyed each one. Again, we don't do this often as we tend to prefer dressing on the side but enjoy it from time to time.

Keith

Both of my favorites come from the MDR.

The dover sole, professionally de-boned at the table is always a favorite. We have found the quality of the fish is as good as any fine dining restaurant.

Also, one night we had oxtails with a red wine reduction that was superb. Normally, we probably would not go for such a dish but we would have missed out!

I think that it is that there are so many wonderful items to list for dinner that it is hard not to write for hours about the wonderful dinners onboard Crystal.

I loved the fresh oysters, chateaubriand, lamb, fish (including the wonderful sushi and sashimi), lobster rolls, the mushroom soups in Prego and Silk Road, etc.

I could easily write a book about dining experiences and what I found outstanding. Keith, it would be easier to ask me what I did not like.:D

Three of my favorites are all from the MDR (BTW, why do we say MDR instead of CDR?), and all 3 are appetizers...

1) The mushroom tart from the bon voyage dinner. I know this one is older than time, but I'd still cry if they took it off the menu.

2) The escargot on French night... Not the best I've had, but still delish.

3) This one has a lot of variations, but the pate with pears and port gelee (again, it comes with different twists on the same theme) on one of the formal nights is something I always look forward to, and I'm not always a liver fan.

Vince

I was shocked at how juicy the veal chop was. Nice and thick, on the bone, done perfectly medium-rare (don't be afraid of "undercooked" pork...in modern times there's no significant health issue that isn't present with similarly cooked beef...unless you're in a third-world country). yum, yum.

Atually, i did mean to say that the veal chop was outstanding, but my comment about pork was meant to be placed after an additional recommendation for the pork chop. luckily, there's no such thing as a chicken chop or i would have completely confused myself and everyone else. :eek:

Atually, i did mean to say that the veal chop was outstanding, but my comment about pork was meant to be placed after an additional recommendation for the pork chop. luckily, there's no such thing as a chicken chop or i would have completely confused myself and everyone else. :eek:

Special order veal chops are great, but nothing beats a chop cut from a rack of Winconsin veal . . . . Tender, juicy, and ordered medium rare.

Caroline, you are probably right. It is very challenging to list just a few items. :)

So, for entrees here are a few but I am excluding dozens of other terrific items.

Crystal Dining Room.

-I enjoy many of the seafood entrees which are too numerous to list including Halibut, Swordfish and several other fresh fish.

-Kosher Chicken

-Once in a while some type of veal dish with a very light sauce.

Prego

-Preferably one of the two additional entrees of the day when it is a fish.

-The sea bass entree

Silk Road

-Hot Soba Noodles with soup and usually with a few small scallops added to the soup.

-Black Cod

I could list several more but this is a good start.

Keith

I quite liked the Beef Wellington. Grand Marnier Soufflé was my favorite dessert! Has anyone ever gotten Carpaccio anywhere else as good as in Prego? Takes 3 waiters to properly present it to you. Those are my three. Ernie

Can we get back on topic?

The chicken liver parfait is a surprising delight. I suspect many people skip this appetizer because they see visions of a big slab of grilled beef liver smothered in onions when they think of liver, but the delicate taste of the blended chicken liver, offset by a fruit puree and port terrine is outstanding (insert drooling emoticon here).

Moving right along to desserts, as some of you know I don't have many desserts as for me my dessert is usually fruit.

With that said, one dessert I have had a couple of times over the years though is in Silk Road and is the Trio of Crème Brûlées and thought it was wonderful.

My wife had the sugar free desserts in the Crystal Dining Room and from time to time I will take a very small taste and to me it is hard to know they are sugar free.

Keith

Moving right along to desserts, as some of you know I don't have many desserts as for me my dessert is usually fruit.

With that said, one dessert I have had a couple of times over the years though is in Silk Road and is the Trio of Crème Brûlées and thought it was wonderful.

My wife had the sugar free desserts in the Crystal Dining Room and from time to time I will take a very small taste and to me it is hard to know they are sugar free.

Keith

Hmmm, are they sugar-free in that no sugar is added (but there may be quite a bit of "natural" sugar therein), or is there no sugar whatsoever in the dessert? I suspect it is the former.

Yes, the Dover Sole Meuniere was superb. I also loved the CDR's Walnut Shrimp Cantonese Style and requested it again a few nights later. And Prego's osso bucco was prepared perfectly, just falling off the bone and delish.

I've always had a weak spot for desserts, so I created a special "Crystal Diet": no desserts at all during Week 1, and selective desserts during Week 2. Of course, "selective" was up to some interpretation and I had 3 cinnamon rolls with generous amounts of crème anglaise at the American Buffet on the last day. But, still, that's only 1 dessert, right??

I've always had a weak spot for desserts, so I created a special "Crystal Diet": no desserts at all during Week 1, and selective desserts during Week 2. Of course, "selective" was up to some interpretation and I had 3 cinnamon rolls with generous amounts of crème anglaise at the American Buffet on the last day. But, still, that's only 1 dessert, right??

I'm glad your system worked out!!! LOL!!! Your DH seemed to like the dessert at lunch when we dined together!!!

I must say that the Veal Parmagana (sp?) in Prego was the best I've had anywhere and I've been to many incredible Italian restaurants!

there is a new Executive Chef on the symphony, Peter Degner. He's not new to Crystal and I'm glad he's back. Overall, the food in the MDR and all venue was better than ever.

Way to many great things to mention. I will add that the 72 hour slow roasted beef was incredible. This item replaced the Beef Wellington and it's the first time that I've had it. I believe several others have mentioned it and it was recently added.

Bon Appetite!!!

Nancy

Very laudable but what happens weeks 3, 4, 5??? :)