I hope your M-class bathroom doesn't look like this

Turtles06

I just returned from the July 24 sailing of Infinity.

While my shower floor wasn't bad, others on my cruise were complaining about this as an ongoing issue.

I mentioned to X in my post-cruise online survey that the ship needs a refurb, and that this is one of the issues they need to address.

Marc

I just returned from the July 24 sailing of Infinity.

While my shower floor wasn't bad, others on my cruise were complaining about this as an ongoing issue.

I mentioned to X in my post-cruise online survey that the ship needs a refurb, and that this is one of the issues they need to address.

Marc

Wonder why Celebrity has not addressed this problem...since they admit to monitoring this post since 2013. Seems that they are ignoring a problem that they are clearly aware of. I'm checking out the condition of the Noordam which does a similar cruise in Alaska. Though we loved our cruises on the Reflection and two weeks ago on the Silhouette, the mold issue in the bathrooms on the Infinity is a big turn off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

By Celebrity standards the M-Class ships are indeed getting older (not counting The Century which is 20 in 2015 when she will leave the fleet.. Celebrity tends to only keep their ships 13 to 15 years... And the M-Class Ships are now in that range having been launched 2000 thru 2002)

We were on the Summit in 2013, after Solstization and as fairly new cruisers who had only been on an S-Class Ship, we were still happy / impressed with The Summit.

But then I cannot say that Mr Sloop and I are picky people overall... We are laid back... And as the saying goes "a day on vacation is a good day"... So "being on a cruise that is a very good day" considering we are being pampered by caring staff & crew, eating all the food we want of many varieties, having fun & being entertained... And our floating decent hotel sees us wake up in a new place each day for an exciting adventure.

Ya not too much to complain about.

As others have said, travel is great, but in reality it isn't home so some adjustments in personal preferences / expectations have to be made. The bathroom grout at my local gym isn't as clean as my home either... But then it sees 100s of people a day / 1000s a year (as does a cruise ship)

My house... It sees me & hubby. A lot less wear & tear.

Personally, I think Celebrity does a good job maintaining their ships... So much so that we've had no qualms booking our next 2 upcoming cruises (2014 & 2015) on their older ships

Figured we might as well enjoy them before they are gone...

Cause I am guessing that Celebrity will make an announcement in 2015 for a new series of ships to launch in the late teens

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Cabin bathrooms on Millie and Constellation were spotless and in working order. Cabin maintenance has not been a problem.

Other problems exist.

We have no current Celebrity bookings.

jls

If you visit Celebrity.com, we can assist. ;)

Great advice ;) Wish there was a post like button.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Great advice ;) Wish there was a post like button.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

So let me get this straight, you think that it's funny that the parent corporation gives a wink, doesn't ask what the poster's problems were, ignores the subtext and advises them to book again?

No wonder the product has become so terrible ... the cheerleaders are completely unable to acknowledge problems while Celebrity cheerfully glosses over them while passengers continue to put down their credit cards begging for more.

After 245 days on board, I left last year and am increasingly convinced that I made the right decision.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

So let me get this straight, you think that it's funny that the parent corporation gives a wink, doesn't ask what the poster's problems were, ignores the subtext and advises them to book again?

No wonder the product has become so terrible ... the cheerleaders are completely unable to acknowledge problems while Celebrity cheerfully glosses over them while passengers continue to put down their credit cards begging for more.

After 245 days on board, I left last year and am increasingly convinced that I made the right decision.

The poster didn't say what the problems were, so no opportunity for Celebrity to respond. I found it sarcastically amusing, this is vacation after all, and except in rare circumstances not life or death. It's nice not to take life so seriously.

To say "the product has become so terrible" is a bit ammusing as well, because, well, you're here, on a Celebrity Board. Why waste your time on something so terrible?

Do I think everything is perfect with Celebrity? Of course not, but they have 20,000+ cruisers a day on their ships. If it was so terrible, why would passengers continute to put down their credit cards?

Don't be so bitter, go find a vacation you enjoy!

Happy sailing (on whatever line you choose),

Jenna

The poster didn't say what the problems were, so no opportunity for Celebrity to respond. I found it sarcastically amusing, this is vacation after all, and except in rare circumstances not life or death. It's nice not to take life so seriously.

To say "the product has become so terrible" is a bit ammusing as well, because, well, you're here, on a Celebrity Board. Why waste your time on something so terrible?

Do I think everything is perfect with Celebrity? Of course not, but they have 20,000+ cruisers a day on their ships. If it was so terrible, why would passengers continute to put down their credit cards?

Jenna

OK, I guess I should 'splain myself a bit more with additional details.

Even though I stopped sailing on Celebrity, I still check the boards because of a stupid misguided sort-of loyalty! Sort of like checking up on a former boyfriend or ex .....

On my final sailing on Summit in 2013, I could have only dreamed of the bathroom pictured above. Ours, as well as all of the aft verandas had NO ventilation in the bathroom. One opened the balcony door to remove any smells or steam. We had much more ambitious mold ... ours was growing behind the light fixture and in the corners of the bathroom itself.

When one braved the shower, you could only use tepid water as the temperature would go to ice numerous times a minute and you would rather have warm/ice as opposed to scalding/ice.

And yes, Guest Relations and Head Office knew about the problems.

I'm basically shocked ... or really, not shocked to see that these problems haven't been addressed in an organized and rational manner.

Mediocre food in an over packed dining room with over worked waiters, decent food in OK specialty restaurants at $100 a couple, non-enforcement of chair hogs and a cabin where my bathroom is downright disgusting? Sorry, that adds up to terrible in my book.

Why do passengers continue to put down their credit cards? Inertia, loyalty, losing their Captain's Club credits, the fear of trying something new ....

Bitter? Absolutely! My favourite cruise line for over 20 years is being run into the ground ... oops, I'm sorry ... being overtaken by Modern Luxury.

I have found a vacation I enjoy - cruising!

And by the way, you haven't cruised until you've tried The Haven by Norwegian ...... !

Even though I stopped sailing on Celebrity, I still check the boards because of a stupid misguided sort-of loyalty! Sort of like checking up on a former boyfriend or ex .....

On my final sailing on Summit in 2013, I could have only dreamed of the bathroom pictured above. Ours, as well as all of the aft verandas had NO ventilation in the bathroom. One opened the balcony door to remove any smells or steam. We had much more ambitious mold ... ours was growing behind the light fixture and in the corners of the bathroom itself.

When one braved the shower, you could only use tepid water as the temperature would go to ice numerous times a minute and you would rather have warm/ice as opposed to scalding/ice.

I'm basically shocked ... or really, not shocked to see that these problems haven't been addressed in an organized and rational manner.

Mediocre food in an over packed dining room with over worked waiters, decent food in OK specialty restaurants at $100 a couple, non-enforcement of chair hogs and a cabin where my bathroom is downright disgusting? Sorry, that adds up to terrible in my book.

Why do passengers continue to put down their credit cards? Inertia, loyalty, losing their Captain's Club credits, the fear of trying something new ....

Bitter? Absolutely! My favourite cruise line for over 20 years is being run into the ground ... oops, I'm sorry ... being overtaken by Modern Luxury.

And by the way, you haven't cruised until you've tried The Haven by Norwegian ...... !

I "only" have 100 days a sea (and counting), but I travel 250 days a year so I have a good idea of comparisons of food, service, rooms etc in every level of accommodation you can imagine so I feel I have the ability to make a good comparison. Oh, and I own a lodging establishment too. The haven on Norwegian is wonderful. I've been in a suite on NCL and the treatment was great, but frankly the rest of the ship was MUCH more crowded and our family not in suites was treated much differently. Life is about tradeoffs. Suite life on Celebrity isn't too different than NCL as they've stepped up their game, minus the private pool, but the restaurant is coming.

Is it really fair to compare the Haven on NCL to an aft Veranda on an M-Class ship? Or maybe you had the penthouse? IMHO the food on NCL in their restaurants compares pretty similarly to Celebrity. None of it is gourmet or overly special, but it is hard to have fresh meat and seafood when you only provision once a week or so.

Either way, we just can't take the passenger to space ratio on NCL, but it doesn't mean we wouldn't book NCL, RCI or Princess if we were enticed by the right itinerary and everything else such as price (Value), cabin, ship, etc aligned.

My advice stands, just as it would to forget your old significant other, move on, and go have fun!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I "only" have 100 days a sea (and counting), but I travel 250 days a year so I have a good idea of comparisons of food, service, rooms etc in every level of accommodation you can imagine so I feel I have the ability to make a good comparison. Oh, and I own a lodging establishment too. The haven on Norwegian is wonderful. I've been in a suite on NCL and the treatment was great, but frankly the rest of the ship was MUCH more crowded and our family not in suites was treated much differently. Life is about tradeoffs. Suite life on Celebrity isn't too different than NCL as they've stepped up their game, minus the private pool, but the restaurant is coming.

Is it really fair to compare the Haven on NCL to an aft Veranda on an M-Class ship? Or maybe you had the penthouse? IMHO the food on NCL in their restaurants compares pretty similarly to Celebrity. None of it is gourmet or overly special, but it is hard to have fresh meat and seafood when you only provision once a week or so.

Either way, we just can't take the passenger to space ratio on NCL, but it doesn't mean we wouldn't book NCL, RCI or Princess if we were enticed by the right itinerary and everything else such as price (Value), cabin, ship, etc aligned.

My advice stands, just as it would to forget your old significant other, move on, and go have fun!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna: I have moved on and I am having fun and I agree with most of your statements and as someone who owns a lodging establishment (you), I think we could have an interesting comparison discussion over a cocktail (or five ...) but the fact remains that there are major "hardware" problems that aren't being addressed. While discussions get heated because of our numerous points of view, CruiseCritic is about sharing info ....

I think what bothered us the most leaving Summit was realizing that three hours later, some poor couple or family would be stepping into a cabin with a moldy bathroom and no hot water for a shower where management was aware of the problem. It's sort-of hard to have fun in that room! It's an interesting (and I'm not trying to pick a fight with you on this) question: In the establishment that you own, if you had a bathroom as described above (and I'm totally useless as posting pix but have them in my file), how would you deal with it with guests?

It is interesting to see different opinions. Our last cruise was in the Garden Villa on the NCL Dawn and I would take an inside cabin on any Celebrity Ship over that any day!! Yes, the villa was amazing and our butler and concierge were amazing but outside of that everything was a huge step down from our recent cruises on both the Summit and Eclipse. The food in the main dinning room on NCL was horrible and the service nearly non-existent. We have had much better food and service on Celebrity, and again I have never been in a suite on Celebrity, just regular cabins and I say the service overall is extremely superior on Celebrity. NCL only had one server to do your drinks and food, I just really did not like that system. The only reason we do NCL is as we have friends who are loyal to them (but they have never tried anything else), but I really don't know that they are going to be able to convince us back onto NCL. I'm very excited to get back onto the Summit in November! I love the m-class ships.

Jenna

many with a shorter cruise history on Celeb do not have the same frame of reference as those who had been used to an experience where we were truly spoiled. We enjoyed being pampered on sparkling ships, flowers in the the stateroom, sorbet and cool towels at the pool, chocolates, many special events, top notch cuisine and unequalled service, enjoyable varied live music... and lots more worthy of the description Modern Luxury. This lucky group of people have difficulty accepting a more no frills experience...at some fairly high prices.Before the Modern Luxury tag line, it was Exceeding Expectations...and we'd like to see that be the goal for every sailing.

Newer X cruisers seem happier with the product because everything is relative. On our last pre refurb Summit cruise, our third on her, although food and service were high quality, the ship was noticeably in decline as to staterooms, furniture etc .We were in shock over it...yet on the same cruise folks coming from other lines were wowed!

BUT when it comes to cleanliness and sanitation...that us a MUST that everyone should agree about. The AIC we stay out was just like Celebrity used to be so we will be seeing more of their prperties...we have 3 Celeb cruises booked in hopes things will improve..

Edited by hcat

many with a shorter cruise history on Celeb do not have the same frame of reference as those who had been used to an experience where we were truly spoiled. We enjoyed being pampered on sparkling ships, flowers in the the stateroom, sorbet and cool towels at the pool, chocolates, many special events, top notch cuisine and unequalled service, enjoyable varied live music... and lots more worthy of the description Modern Luxury. This lucky group of people have difficulty accepting a more no frills experience...at some fairly high prices.Before the Modern Luxury tag line, it was Exceeding Expectations...and we'd like to see that be the gosl for every sailing.

Newer X cruisers seem happier with the product because everything is relative. On our last pre refurb Summit cruise, our third on her, although food and service were high quality, the ship was noticeably in decline as to staterooms, furniture etc .We were in shock over it...yet on the same cruise folks coming from other lines were wowed!

BUT when it comes to cleanliness and sanitation...that us a MUST that everyone should agree about. The AIC we stay out was just like Celebrity used to be so we will be seeing more of their prperties...we have 3 Celeb cruises booked in hopes things will improve..

My parents have been gone for over a decade and when my mom was alive, she didn't move that well. Even though our table was downstairs in Century's Grand Dining Room, I made her come down those damn stairs each dinner as the orchestra played. She didn't complain once ... making a proper entrance was essential!

Modern Luxury indeed!

Keep in mind that the photo is a close up so that distorts the reality of the situation. If you viewed it from the normal distance when entering the room it wouldn't be as shocking. Try it at home and you will be calling a contractor to rip out your bathroom. We remodeled our bathroom about 7yrs ago. We have never had to use anything stronger than shampoo on the tiles to clean them. The grout looks like new and calking around the tub has not had to be replaced. The trick is a squeegee and a sham that you would use to dry a car. We rinse off the tiles and dry them with the squeegee and sham after each use. The kids don't practice the same procedure in their shower so you need bleach and a blow torch to clean their bathroom. I was in the hospital last year and while there wasn't mold in the grout the floor tile look horrible and I know that they were disinfecting at least twice a day.

many with a shorter cruise history on Celeb do not have the same frame of reference as those who had been used to an experience where we were truly spoiled. We enjoyed being pampered on sparkling ships, flowers in the the stateroom, sorbet and cool towels at the pool, chocolates, many special events, top notch cuisine and unequalled service, enjoyable varied live music... and lots more worthy of the description Modern Luxury.

Everyone boost the term Modern Luxury like it's a good thing when in reality its a step down from true Luxury. The definition of the term is to make available luxury items to the masses at an affordable price. This was done in the 80's when fashion designers licensed their Couture names and mass produced their products. Mercedes-Benz has done this with their C Class. Celebrity is providing the same product so the slogan is fitting and we are receiving a watered down version of luxury.

If you visit Celebrity.com, we can assist. ;)

Begin improvements by updating your website. Make it easier to use.

Information re the site is on this message board.

Information re my negatives is outlined in a msg responding to Celebrity on the Dec 9 Constellation thread.

Pertinent to this thread, the bathrooms fine on our M-Class cruises. "Modern luxury" no, but that's advertising.

jls

Edited by JLSPOOL

It is interesting to see different opinions. Our last cruise was in the Garden Villa on the NCL Dawn and I would take an inside cabin on any Celebrity Ship over that any day!! Yes, the villa was amazing and our butler and concierge were amazing but outside of that everything was a huge step down from our recent cruises on both the Summit and Eclipse. The food in the main dinning room on NCL was horrible and the service nearly non-existent. We have had much better food and service on Celebrity, and again I have never been in a suite on Celebrity, just regular cabins and I say the service overall is extremely superior on Celebrity. NCL only had one server to do your drinks and food, I just really did not like that system. The only reason we do NCL is as we have friends who are loyal to them (but they have never tried anything else), but I really don't know that they are going to be able to convince us back onto NCL. I'm very excited to get back onto the Summit in November! I love the m-class ships.

Hi. We are on your upcoming Summit cruise! It was so nice to hear positive words about the Summit. We were getting a little nervous about sailing on the Summit with all of the reports of bedbugs, worn out bedsheets, bad service and bad food. We love Celebrity, but have only been on S class ships and are looking forward to something "new". Please, let us hear more positives about the Summit, because we can't wait to try the m class and visit new ports!!

Hi. We are on your upcoming Summit cruise! It was so nice to hear positive words about the Summit. We were getting a little nervous about sailing on the Summit with all of the reports of bedbugs, worn out bedsheets, bad service and bad food. We love Celebrity, but have only been on S class ships and are looking forward to something "new". Please, let us hear more positives about the Summit, because we can't wait to try the m class and visit new ports!!

Sailing on the Summit Sunday- while she isn't new, we didn't have any problems last August nor do we anticipate any on Sunday. Will report back!

Keep in mind that the photo is a close up so that distorts the reality of the situation. If you viewed it from the normal distance when entering the room it wouldn't be as shocking. Try it at home and you will be calling a contractor to rip out your bathroom. We remodeled our bathroom about 7yrs ago. We have never had to use anything stronger than shampoo on the tiles to clean them. The grout looks like new and calking around the tub has not had to be replaced. The trick is a squeegee and a sham that you would use to dry a car. We rinse off the tiles and dry them with the squeegee and sham after each use. The kids don't practice the same procedure in their shower so you need bleach and a blow torch to clean their bathroom. I was in the hospital last year and while there wasn't mold in the grout the floor tile look horrible and I know that they were disinfecting at least twice a day.

As the OP who took the photos, let me assure you that the "reality of the situation" is that it was as gross in person as it is in the photos. More so, actually, since I was the one having to step into that shower.

As for your squeegee and sham, that's great at home, but of course that's not happening on cruise ships, hence the inevitable need for periodic re-grouting.

I personally have not had any issues with the cleanliness of the Summit. It isn't brand new like the S Class ships so don't expect it to be the same and you will be fine. It is a smaller older ship, but they have modernized it. We were wowed by the Eclipse, but that being said the Summit is very nice. We had one shower in one of our rooms on the Summit that had low pressure (it was bearable though and I never said anything to anyone), but that was it, otherwise we have had good experiences, and have 2 back to backs and another week booked on the Summit already.

As the OP who took the photos, let me assure you that the "reality of the situation" is that it was as gross in person as it is in the photos. More so, actually, since I was the one having to step into that shower.

As for your squeegee and sham, that's great at home, but of course that's not happening on cruise ships, hence the inevitable need for periodic re-grouting.

Last summer (June 2014) we were in a Royal Suite on Solstice and our shower looked very bad plus it also ran over onto bath floor every time we showered regardless of time of day or night. Periodically "stuff" would come up from drain and we would have to turn off water, let the shower drain, then run water slowly and then shower as quick as possible. Spraying Lysol disinfectant was how I managed to mentally prepare myself for showering. Not sure it really disinfects but certainly helped my state of mind as I began to question is it really mold or the "stuff" that came out of drain sometime. Cabin attendant was good about leaving many extra towels but that does not offset having to shower in standing water. Problem was reported all the way up the chain of command and had every conceivable engineer studying the problem for resolution. Drainage was not resolved before we disembarked but grout did get noticeably cleaner by the last day..

I commented on questionnaire with regard to the dirty grout and lack of adequate drainage issues. Celebrity did acknowledge and responded in a very concerned manner. November 2014 boarded Eclipse again with Royal Suite accommodations and there was the same dirty shower...... It took most of the 14days to get the grout somewhat cleaner and several trips by head housekeeper and engineering to assess the problem. White caulk was used to hide a good portion of it on day 4.

An overflowing or slow shower drain in any particular cabin maybe caused by problem(s) elsewhere within the ships sewage system so you mostly likely will always have to escalate the complaint/issue upward to get the right repair person involved. I believe that butler and attendant may not want to report an issue that they feel they should be able to control and have it reflect upon them poorly. Dirt, that is a housekeeping problem and is their problem or likely the steward(s) before. Many times new grouting is the only real solution.

And even though we all know it, it is a fact that politeness gets you further than ranting at your steward or guest services. And incidentally after returning home from Solstice I did not fill out the review from my online travel agent and after a couple email requests they telephoned. I informed them that we did have what I considered to be an unresolved problem but I did not want that portion to overshadow the good during the 7 day Alaskan cruise. I was asked to put the events in writing to them and then they contacted Celebrity with their concern for their customer. Celebrity again conveyed their concerns and apologies to TA and us.

M Ships, S Ships, insides or RS you can still have the same poor drainage or dirt. So report it so it can be brought to the proper department and resolved

Last summer (June 2014) we were in a Royal Suite on Solstice and our shower looked very bad plus it also ran over onto bath floor every time we showered regardless of time of day or night. Periodically "stuff" would come up from drain and we would have to turn off water, let the shower drain, then run water slowly and then shower as quick as possible. Spraying Lysol disinfectant was how I managed to mentally prepare myself for showering. Not sure it really disinfects but certainly helped my state of mind as I began to question is it really mold or the "stuff" that came out of drain sometime. Cabin attendant was good about leaving many extra towels but that does not offset having to shower in standing water. Problem was reported all the way up the chain of command and had every conceivable engineer studying the problem for resolution. Drainage was not resolved before we disembarked but grout did get noticeably cleaner by the last day..

I commented on questionnaire with regard to the dirty grout and lack of adequate drainage issues. Celebrity did acknowledge and responded in a very concerned manner. November 2014 boarded Eclipse again with Royal Suite accommodations and there was the same dirty shower...... It took most of the 14days to get the grout somewhat cleaner and several trips by head housekeeper and engineering to assess the problem. White caulk was used to hide a good portion of it on day 4.

An overflowing or slow shower drain in any particular cabin maybe caused by problem(s) elsewhere within the ships sewage system so you mostly likely will always have to escalate the complaint/issue upward to get the right repair person involved. I believe that butler and attendant may not want to report an issue that they feel they should be able to control and have it reflect upon them poorly. Dirt, that is a housekeeping problem and is their problem or likely the steward(s) before. Many times new grouting is the only real solution.

And even though we all know it, it is a fact that politeness gets you further than ranting at your steward or guest services. And incidentally after returning home from Solstice I did not fill out the review from my online travel agent and after a couple email requests they telephoned. I informed them that we did have what I considered to be an unresolved problem but I did not want that portion to overshadow the good during the 7 day Alaskan cruise. I was asked to put the events in writing to them and then they contacted Celebrity with their concern for their customer. Celebrity again conveyed their concerns and apologies to TA and us.

M Ships, S Ships, insides or RS you can still have the same poor drainage or dirt. So report it so it can be brought to the proper department and resolved

There is nothing luxurious about neglect. We are booked on The Infinity for next summer and she will be another year older...don't know when the next refurbishing will be.

There is nothing luxurious about neglect. We are booked on The Infinity for next summer and she will be another year older...don't know when the next refurbishing will be.

I thought the condition of the Infinity was fine. You can tell the ship is older, but they're constantly cleaning and repairing. We had a great time!

I agree, cruising in the Haven on NCL is an awesome experience, I have never done it myself but sailed with friends who did so I got a good look at how they lived on the ship. That said, I am very happy with regular balcony cabin or a mini suite on NCL as well.. I loved the Summit but I do agree it is not any more modern luxury than the rest of them…I sailed the Summit in May and am doing the 12 day to Canada/New England in September and truly hoping that my bathroom doesn't look like this… I do keep in mind when Im sailing on the Summit that she is an older ship..