Bringing pre-packaged snacks into SA

Glendakayself

I keep reading cautions about having food when going through customs and immigration in South American Airports. Hubby and I like to travel with pre-packaged snacks like peanut buttered crackers, granola bars, trail-mix packs, etc. We have never had a problem in any airport or port. Will we have a problem in the SA airports in immigration/customs after landing? (We will be landing in EZE, departing from SCL, and landing/departing LIM.)

Thanks,

We did the same itinerary last January and has no problems with our pre-packaged snacks. I did not try to take any into Chile at any of the port stops as did not want to incur any possible problems. At disembarkation in Valparaiso the bus drops you at the terminal and you go through food inspection before you can exit. I had leftover pre-packaged snacks and asked one of the officials while we were waiting in line. She said just show them the bag when it is your turn for inspection. I did, and they glanced at it and waved me through. I think as long as the snacks are in sealed packages you are OK. Side note, if you buy water at the airport after you have cleared security they still will not let you carry it onboard and will confiscate it at a second security inspection at the gate just before you board.

We did the same itinerary last January and has no problems with our pre-packaged snacks. I did not try to take any into Chile at any of the port stops as did not want to incur any possible problems. At disembarkation in Valparaiso the bus drops you at the terminal and you go through food inspection before you can exit. I had leftover pre-packaged snacks and asked one of the officials while we were waiting in line. She said just show them the bag when it is your turn for inspection. I did, and they glanced at it and waved me through. I think as long as the snacks are in sealed packages you are OK. Side note, if you buy water at the airport after you have cleared security they still will not let you carry it onboard and will confiscate it at a second security inspection at the gate just before you board.

Thank you so much for your help. We will especially need the snacks for the week we spend in Peru after our cruise. What do you do for extra water on the flight? Staying hydrated is so important for flying.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for your help. We will especially need the snacks for the week we spend in Peru after our cruise. What do you do for extra water on the flight? Staying hydrated is so important for flying.:eek:

We had the same problem on international flight from Cusco to US and I drank my water at the second checkpoint! American airlines provided water on the flight poured into cups from large water bottles. On a previous flight from Cusco to Amazon area we were able to take our water onto the airplane. We weren't expecting the problem back to the US.

We had the same problem on international flight from Cusco to US and I drank my water at the second checkpoint! American airlines provided water on the flight poured into cups from large water bottles. On a previous flight from Cusco to Amazon area we were able to take our water onto the airplane. We weren't expecting the problem back to the US.

Good to know. We fly LAN Peru from Santiago to Lima and from Lima round-trip Cusco. Then we fly American from Lima to Miami. I drink lots of water and I dread that we can only get little cups. I once flew from Jackson Hole to Dallas w/o bringing a bottle of water on American. They had none to sell and only gave me a second cup after much begging. Conversely, they would sell cocktails???

On a flight where you can't take your bottle of water, ask the flight attendant to give you several cups of water when she is handing out just one, works better than asking later.

There are plenty of stores that sell all sorts of prepacked snacks in Lima and Cusco and in the small towns between Cusco and Machu Pichu, especially near train stations and at the port in Puno. They also sell bottled water everywhere, lots of choices.

Edited by Floridiana

Speaking from experience as I have just returned from Ecuador and Peru. Any flights within Peru or within Ecuador, no problems with taking liquids on the plane. Flying from Peru to Ecuador and vice-versa, no way were you allowed to take water on the plane. For any international flight in Lima, they actually search your hand luggage before they will let you board the plane for liquids. It really slows up the boarding process. You can buy water after you go through security but you must drink the entire bottle before you board the plane.

On a flight where you can't take your bottle of water, ask the flight attendant to give you several cups of water when she is handing out just one, works better than asking later.

There are plenty of stores that sell all sorts of prepacked snacks in Lima and Cusco and in the small towns between Cusco and Machu Pichu, especially near train stations and at the port in Puno. They also sell bottled water everywhere, lots of choices.

Thanks. It is good to know that we can buy the snacks if we do not want to go for a sit-down meal in a restaurant at night.

Speaking from experience as I have just returned from Ecuador and Peru. Any flights within Peru or within Ecuador, no problems with taking liquids on the plane. Flying from Peru to Ecuador and vice-versa, no way were you allowed to take water on the plane. For any international flight in Lima, they actually search your hand luggage before they will let you board the plane for liquids. It really slows up the boarding process. You can buy water after you go through security but you must drink the entire bottle before you board the plane.

Does that mean that we cannot carry the 3 oz. shampoos and other toiletries, in our one-quart bag when traveling one country to another in South America and from South America to the US? I purchase a couple of 3 oz. hair products that are aerosole to carry in the 3-1-1 bag because I know you are not supposed to pack aerosole products in checked luggage.

Thanks. It is good to know that we can buy the snacks if we do not want to go for a sit-down meal in a restaurant at night.

Does that mean that we cannot carry the 3 oz. shampoos and other toiletries, in our one-quart bag when traveling one country to another in South America and from South America to the US? I purchase a couple of 3 oz. hair products that are aerosole to carry in the 3-1-1 bag because I know you are not supposed to pack aerosole products in checked luggage.

That wasn't a problem just the water bottles

If I remember correctly, no aerosol at all. They hand-checked all luggage in Juliaca (Lake Titicaca) for aerosols. And they checked the hand luggage in Lima right at the gate after we had gone through security before.

For a light meal, we sometimes ate quinoa soup in the hotel restaurants. It was chicken broth with some vegetables and quinoa. Soup plays an important part in the cuisine of the Andes.

Are you long enough in Cusco to eat lunch? A new small restaurant called DEVA restaurant tipico offers authentic cuisine. It is around two corners from the Plaza de Armas, easy walking distance. Check trip advisor for address. We never made it there for dinner (soup in hotel restaurant) On the way there, look for the small store with snacks and water next to the public library.

If I remember correctly, no aerosol at all. They hand-checked all luggage in Juliaca (Lake Titicaca) for aerosols. And they checked the hand luggage in Lima right at the gate after we had gone through security before.

For a light meal, we sometimes ate quinoa soup in the hotel restaurants. It was chicken broth with some vegetables and quinoa. Soup plays an important part in the cuisine of the Andes.

Are you long enough in Cusco to eat lunch? A new small restaurant called DEVA restaurant tipico offers authentic cuisine. It is around two corners from the Plaza de Armas, easy walking distance. Check trip advisor for address. We never made it there for dinner (soup in hotel restaurant) On the way there, look for the small store with snacks and water next to the public library.

Yes, we'll be in Cusco at least three nights and possibly four. We arrive one evening and tour Cusco the next day, spend the night, and then tour the Sacred Valley. Depending on what the tour company arranges, we may spend the night in Cusco after the Sacred Valley, or we may stay in the Sacred Valley. Then one night at Machu Picchu and back to Cusco for a night before flying to Lima for one more night. Thanks for the tip on the soup. We love soup. We'll also look for the DEVA restaurant.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Don't forget your altitude medication. I got sick and "lost" a day. The good thing: the private clinic was excellent and both doctors spoke fluent English. They "put me together" again.

Our local guides were from Condor Travels, all were wonderful, competent and always on time. You have enough time to go to the Cusco fruit- and vegetable market for the locals. Great photo opportunities. They also sell souvenirs at a lower price than elsewhere.

We spent two days in Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley. The village is great, the ruins are amazing. We stayed in the Alberghe (train station), nice staff, good food, a big humming bird in the garden, but I do NOT recommend their standard rooms in the main building.

Expect lots of visitors at all sites, local school groups, adult Peruvians, South Americans from various countries.

Don't forget your altitude medication. I got sick and "lost" a day. The good thing: the private clinic was excellent and both doctors spoke fluent English. They "put me together" again.

Our local guides were from Condor Travels, all were wonderful, competent and always on time. You have enough time to go to the Cusco fruit- and vegetable market for the locals. Great photo opportunities. They also sell souvenirs at a lower price than elsewhere.

We spent two days in Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley. The village is great, the ruins are amazing. We stayed in the Alberghe (train station), nice staff, good food, a big humming bird in the garden, but I do NOT recommend their standard rooms in the main building.

Expect lots of visitors at all sites, local school groups, adult Peruvians, South Americans from various countries.

My doctor gave me a formula for altitude sickness that he said has never failed for anyone to whom he recommended it. We are to start 5 days before going to Cusco. We take 200 to 400 IU of vitamin E once daily and 80-120 MG of Gingko Biloba twice daily until at lower altitudes.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...

We had a few packs of sealed nuts and candy--didn't declare it and no one said anything; however I think it would be a good idea, I just forgot.

I wasn't very happy that the brand new water I bought for the plane was confiscated right at boarding time, actually as we were walking down the jetway. I hadn't had that happen before; I'd bought it after going through the initial security.